Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Hello
matt
Good Day. I have been roasting for a year or so with a modified ronco 4000 rotisserie. It is a bit tired so I am building a new one based on the ronco 6000. I am hoping to roast a five pound batch. My question is about the type of element to add. I noticed one of the models crc roasters builds used what looked like ceramic infrared elements. If someone has some pros or cons on this I would appreciate it. Thanks Matt

ChicagoJohn
Hi Matt and Welcome Welcome

To get a bit more visibility for your question, I'd suggest that you post another time. If you go to the main page that lists all the different forums and go down to the heading "Building a Roaster", maybe you could start a new thread under "Drum Roaster" which I think your rotisserie would probably be -- or one of the other categories if you think they might be more appropriate. That way I think you'd have a chance of someone familiar with the subject to see it quicker.
So many beans; so little time....

renatoa
With all the due respect, but a radiant based machine is not a drum roaster, if the heat is radiated directly to beans, and the drum is made from light wire/mesh.

Actually, this is a roast method that has no category in our forum... maybe BBQ or Behmor match closest.

allenb
renatoa wrote:

With all the due respect, but a radiant based machine is not a drum roaster, if the heat is radiated directly to beans, and the drum is made from light wire/mesh.

Actually, this is a roast method that has no category in our forum... maybe BBQ or Behmor match closest.

Any roaster with a drum, whether it be screen or solid, heated by convection only, drum to bean only, radiant only or any combination of heat sources, is to be considered a drum roaster within HRO's naming convention. This is unfortunately necessary to prevent having an excessive number of forum categories.
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

renatoa
Unfortunately... because the principles and operation are wildly different.

allenb
renatoa wrote:
because the principles and operation are wildly different.

But, if we really consider all possible reasons one could disqualify a drum roaster from being a true drum roaster, you would have to toss out several others. Consider the various drum sample roasters that have perforated metal drums and are convection only. This could fall into the fluidbed category as the only difference being the means of agitation.
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

SPQR
Hello everyone! I am Dave of Idaho. Been home roasting for about five years now .I love stove top roasting with my Victorio stainless steel popper.Been enjoying espresso since a kid growing up in Ybor city Tampa florida back in the 60s. Great latin culture therecool I am the proud owner of a Rancilio Sylvia machine, and a nice Baratza grinder.Looking forward to participating on this forum.what happened to sweetmarias .comforum? not much activity there..hence I was guided here by the Coffee Gods?

JackH
Hi Dave, welcome and nice to see you here.
Stove top roasting works well, you just have to keep the beans moving!
---Jack

KKTO Roaster.

Jump to Forum: