bullet2.gif Slap count: 0
bullet2.gif Last checked ID: 6762
Donations
View Thread
Homeroasters.org » THE ART OF ROASTING COFFEE » Roasting Coffee
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Triple Wow
So... I've been crudely roasting beans and have decided to buy the SR500 for no other reason than to get more consistent roasting, which compared to cooking over the Grill I'm sure to surpass my roasts rather quickly.

I've had some EXCELLENT results and some absolute disasters but that is to be expected given experience and equipment I have to work with.

The wife has yet to even try my roasts but something happened over the past 2 days.

The wife returned home from a trip where a well-known roaster has shop setup and she bought a pound of their Columbian Supremo. We've had it before and it was good stuff for sure.

I couldn't wait to open the bag and compare their beans with my recent Columbian Supremo roast... and what I found was astounding. The beans were small, almost like Peaberry... and very incosistend... light tan, brown, dark brown, spotty.

Upon grind and taste I found it to taste a bit odd - and she did too.

So on second cup I whipped out my most recent roast of Columbian Supremo and we compared the look and size of the bean....

She ground some up - poured - tasted - and said my roast was 10 times better than what she paid for from a 'professional' roaster....

That being said, I can tell you up front that this particular roast is miles away from a previous roast I did of the same bean which was out of this world...

She is a pretty big critic and will rip you a new one if she thinks whatever it is you are doing is wrong... from plumbing to laying flooring to electrical to writing computer code to brewing a cup... so I'm real happy she likes it.

Perhaps once I get the SR500 roasts down consistently she'll be very open to the Gene Cafe machine...

Image: Pro beans on the left... my roast on the right https://imgur.com...
Edited by 8675309 on 09-13-2018 09:00

ChicagoJohn

Image: Pro beans on the left... my roast on the right https://imgur.com...

Quite a difference ! I suspect the "professional" was using a cheaper grade. Yours look nice and uniform. I'm looking forward to hearing your results with the air roaster. I've used a couple different DIY air roasters and I think they can can provide good uniformity and a significant improvement in control and repeatability versus your metal sheet method, and I hope you find that's the case. Sounds like you are doing quite well sometimes with your current method and maybe just lack a higher level of process control.
So many beans; so little time....

Jump to Forum: