Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

Gigimedrano
04/17/2019 6:33 AM
Hi guys, my hot top has stripper a gear.. ive only had it for a lil over a year now hot top wants 120+ for a new motor and gearbox assembly any idea? Is this normal year and some Months dont seem lik

Ray Kahuna
04/16/2019 8:04 AM
has anyone built an adjustable coffee grind press?

Nitesh
04/01/2019 10:04 PM
Hello, I have been trying to get in contact with manufacturer of HB roaster in China but failed until now. Does anyone have idea who is the manufacturer of HB roaster in China?

allenb
03/30/2019 3:46 AM
Spammer babble from me and others have been removed from Centrifugal Roasters Thread. From here on we will toss them immediately. ThumbsUp

jpworks
03/27/2019 11:15 PM
What’s the preferred way to upload pics from iPhone?

Users Online
Guests Online: 3

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 5,913
Newest Member: battlepoint
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
renatoa - 2.00
JitterzZ - 50.00
PRABHATH COFFEE WORKS - 10.00
John Despres (Scene... - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Info on DC motor power of poppers
tnakir
Any of you guys know what is the power rating of the DC motor of Severin Popper (220V)?

I am about to separate the motor from the heating coil circuit and I don't know what AC > DC converter to get. I have some 24V 0.8A PSU, and I'm not sure it will be powerfull enough.

renatoa
Is not enough, you need a 2A source.
These are usually clones of Johnson/Mabuchi RS385 motors, whose specs state 0.4-0.5A current, but without specifying which regime.
Looking into the datasheet we see this current is for maximum efficiency case, which is a very small load regime, compared with the popper scenario.
Tried 1A source to power such motor, from a Zilan popper, and voltage dropped to 19V from 24, so I guess some kind of over-current protection kicked.

starbuxed
renatoa wrote:

Is not enough, you need a 2A source.

So would a 24V 2A Power supply work? or is a 24V 5A power supply a better choice?

greencardigan
I used to use a laptop power supply that had a voltage switch for various voltages between 15 and 24 volts.

ChicagoJohn
On a 120VAC popper mod I did, I used a 24VAC transformer with input from a rotary dimmer switch output through a full wave bridge rectifier, unfiltered. (I wound up operating it at full power so the dimmer switch wasn't necessary, controlling heating with PWM). That transformer got way too hot and I wound up using a 50VA transformer which got hot but remained within acceptable maximum temperature limits. I have no familiarity at all with 240VAC systems, but if the popper designs are otherwise similar, I would think 2A continuous is probably marginally adequate with the caveat that I've seen some instances in which manufacturers state current ratings for transformers that a are significantly higher than they can deliver continuously..
So many beans; so little time....

renatoa
If you have doubts about a transformer, weigh it, a real 50W transformer for industrial use, i.e. continuous operation at maximum 75 C degrees, should be in the 900 g ballpark.

Wiz Kalita
I'm using this popper. It's a 20V motor that draws 2A, and I'm driving it with a 20V 3.25A laptop PSU.

tnakir
Did you leave both heat coils connected in series? Just disconnected the motor?

Wiz Kalita
I removed all the electronics and connected it to a CR3 setup. I don't remember if I left both coils or how I wired them.

tag1260
What happens if you just disconnect the motor from the coils? Do you still run both coils or does it create a problem?

renatoa
No problems.
In the parallel configuration heater power is reduced by about 200W on 230V or 100W on 110V.

tag1260
Thanks. I just yesterday split my motor and heater and was wondering if it were a problem. Tried my first batch today and it worked great but I will have to practice my control.

Thanks again

Jump to Forum: