bullet2.gif Slap count: 0
bullet2.gif Last checked ID: 6762
Donations
View Thread
Homeroasters.org » THE ART OF ROASTING COFFEE » Roasting Coffee
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
The smell test
I've convinced myself that home roasting is superior to anything you can buy in the store.. even cooking via crude methods with a thick stainless pan over a grill has produced most excellent ( and a few bad ) results. The good outweighs the bad for sure.

I'm going to take a small plunge and buy a Fresh Roast SR500. These are not fancy machines they have their faults but for a cheap bstard like me I think it will produce consistent roasts for myself. I don't need the fancy laptop profiling available with the SR700 and that cuts about $100 off the price.

I've seen some fancy machines out there for $1000+ ( or more ) and I really could afford it but I'm cheap... cheap I tell you cheap. I'm over 60 and only have a few years left and want to spend the reminder drinking a good steady cup.

Thoughts?... Insults?...
Edited by 8675309 on 09-09-2018 16:43

mkane
Watch out for the rabbit hole. I thought the same thing a while ago
Always learning

If I have steady success - meaning I have management approval (the wife) on my roasts I'd step up to the Gene Cafe.

turtle
You will find it cheaper to spend more now, rather than buy multiple roasters you are not satisfied with as you work yourself to that $1k you think is too expensive now.
Mick - "Drinking in life one cup at a time"
"I'd rather be roasting coffee"

Roaster 1: San Franciscan SF-1
Roaster 2: Hottop B-2K+
Roaster 3: Behmor 1600 +
Grinders: Modified Super Jolly - Forte BG (x3)
Pour over: Hario - Bee House - Chemex - Kalita - Bodum
Drip: Bunn CWTF15-1 & CW15-TC (commercials)
Espresso: Pasquini Livia 90 auto
Vacuum: Cona - Bodum
Press: Frieling - Bodum Colombia

Randy G
I started in late-2000 with a small home air roaster (Hearthware Precision). Two years later I got the first Hottop model. I ended up creating the Hottop USA website and writing all but their very first owners manuals as well as being their customer service agent for three years until they let me go. The rabbit hole is deep... very, very deep.

Go with the Gene Cafe. I had one for a while and it is a worthy device for the price.

Life's too short to drink bad coffee.

http://www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
Randy G wrote:

I started in late-2000 with a small home air roaster (Hearthware Precision). Two years later I got the first Hottop model. I ended up creating the Hottop USA website and writing all but their very first owners manuals as well as being their customer service agent for three years until they let me go. The rabbit hole is deep... very, very deep.

Go with the Gene Cafe. I had one for a while and it is a worthy device for the price.

The Gene will be my next stop - I have yet to get the wife to try what I am producing now however if she can 'watch' the process and get involved she may actually try a cup or 2 and say 'WOW' like I have... even with my inconsistent grill-roasting.

Want to Help?
By donating you can ensure that HR will continue to be open for years to come. Expenses are 100% transparent and can be viewed publicly at all times. You can find more information on donations and why we request them by reading up on the forum topic here. Thank you.

BenKeith
They all roast coffee beans, each in their own way with varied degrees of ease/difficulty.
The key is understanding the process it takes to properly roast coffee beans.
Once you really understand the process, you can then learn to manipulate almost any roaster to provide the roast you want. It's just some roaster make that a whole lot easier than others. Usually the easier it is/the more beans it roast, the more expensive it is.

Jump to Forum: