Homeroasters.org » THE ART OF ROASTING COFFEE » Roasting Coffee
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Very odd... or am I getting old..?
I roasted some of the best coffee to date over the weekend on 9/1 and 9/2. A few days after the roast I have been drinking cup after cup of the best coffee I've ever had.

I can't wait to go to sleep at night so I can wake up for another cup or 2 or 3 of this roast!

Today however, I find the brew ( same brew conditions blah ) to be lacking... stale... chalky tasting....

After I roast and beans cool I put them in small coffee type paper bags, roll the bag, semi-seal it, and wrap a rubber band around it and drop it into the bottom drawer in the cool-dark-space in the kitchen... the aroma is heavenly...

Is it possible for the beans to lose that much flavor in a day or 2 ???

snwcmpr
I use three of these.
https://www.sweet...valve.html
I can put a lb of green [roasted] beans in the can.

The flavor for me peaks at day 3 and I plan to be done by day 7. Never flat, and not gone, but not peak.

I am not as qualified to answer as some here.
Edited by JackH on 09-06-2018 13:09
Backwoods Roaster
"I wish I could taste as well as I wish I could roast."

ChicagoJohn

Is it possible for the beans to lose that much flavor in a day or 2 ???

Don't know if it's possible for your specific coffee, roast conditions, and brewing method. I've only been doing this about 4 years and I store mine on the kitchen counter in used coffee bags or plastic zip lock bags, etc., and while, like snwcmpr, I do note some change over time, in the course of even 3 - 4 weeks I can't recall ever having observed anything as dramatic as you are describing. When I have occasionally noticed significant changes in what I'm expecting, I have eventually found that there were variations in brewing I though were controlled but weren't.

Variables other than the coffee itself and the brewing method to consider might include any potential variation in the water, the possibility of absorption into the coffee of cooking odors or odors from stored foods, etc., excessive humidity, changes in grind.... ?
So many beans; so little time....

allenb
After I roast and beans cool I put them in small coffee type paper bags, roll the bag, semi-seal it, and wrap a rubber band around it and drop it into the bottom drawer in the cool-dark-space in the kitchen... the aroma is heavenly...

Most of the paper bag (kraft paper) coffee bags are notorious for spoiling coffee and can happen quickly. Many of them have a very thin cellophane liner not much thicker than kitchen variety stuff and will not prevent humidity from moving through and can occur at a fairly fast pace. This may not be the cause of your excellent coffee taking a dive but you'll want to eliminate it as a possible contributor for future roasts.

My favorite green and roasted storage is the old trusty mason jar at room temperature and with roasted, I just barely snug the lid so CO2 can exit freely. No way for humidity or other kitchen environment contamination to get through.

Allen
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

allenb wrote:

Most of the paper bag (kraft paper) coffee bags are notorious for spoiling coffee and can happen quickly. Many of them have a very thin cellophane liner not much thicker than kitchen variety stuff and will not prevent humidity from moving through and can occur at a fairly fast pace. This may not be the cause of your excellent coffee taking a dive but you'll want to eliminate it as a possible contributor for future roasts.

My favorite green and roasted storage is the old trusty mason jar at room temperature and with roasted, I just barely snug the lid so CO2 can exit freely. No way for humidity or other kitchen environment contamination to get through.

Allen

Interesting thought on the thin cellophane liner, these have that. I acquired them at the local store and grab 10 at a time they don't seem to mind. I live in the Desert so humidity is really low. My son has a 'real' container that has a one-way gas valve I think I'm gonna confiscate that from him and start using it... a real shame this batch was most excellent for a few days.

There are no other contaminants in the vicinity, it's kept in the bottom drawer in the kitchen out of the light etc.

mkane
mason jar after 12hrs works also
Always learning

Jump to Forum: