Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

snwcmpr
08/20/2019 3:47 PM
Roasted the last of the SM Kenya Nyeri Katogoto this morning.

snwcmpr
08/20/2019 3:47 PM
So, Allen gets notification. 'renatoa' gets notification. ... I do not. Funny stuff. But not earth shattering.

snwcmpr
08/20/2019 2:01 PM
PM sent

allenb
08/20/2019 10:32 AM
snwcmpr, send me a pm so can see if I'm getting email notifications now. Thx.

snwcmpr
08/18/2019 4:31 AM
Awesome I sent an email to AllenB and JackH The email to JackH failed. I had screenshots of my settings.

Users Online
Guests Online: 6

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 6,101
Newest Member: Billito
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
allenb - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00
Groveland Hill Roas... - 25.00
renatoa - 2.00
JitterzZ - 50.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Overheat / shutoff safety on bread maker
CoffeeAndKimuras
Hey all, I was about 12' into my roast on newly built corretto roaster and it was going great...until my bread maker flashed "E01", shut off, and wouldnt turn back on. My bread maker is an Oster.

After some research I quickly discovered that the E01 warning is an emergency failsafe / shut off for overheating the unit. Has anyone ever experienced this and do you have any work arounds for it? I do still have the heating element connected...idk if theyre related and that would fix it? Thanks for your help

JackH
Most consumer products with heaters/heating coils and motors have a fire safety fuse (thermal fuse). It is usually connected in series with the heating coil or attached to the case of a motor. I have seen them in roasters and coffee grinders.

Not sure where yours is exactly but it may look like a metal cylinder. Once these blow, they can't be reset without replacement. I believe they are rated in temperature.

forum.homeroasters.org/forum/attachments/capture_67.jpg
JackH attached the following image:
capture_67.jpg

---Jack

KKTO Roaster.

ChicagoJohn
JackH wrote:

Most consumer products with heaters/heating coils and motors have a fire safety fuse (thermal fuse). It is usually connected in series with the heating coil or attached to the case of a motor. I have seen them in roasters and coffee grinders.

Not sure where yours is exactly but it may look like a metal cylinder. Once these blow, they can't be reset without replacement. I believe they are rated in temperature.

Resettable fuses are also used quite often -- when you wait about 30 minutes for the appliance to cool down, they reset and function normally again. And as you say, they come in a wide range of set points. I had one on the vacuum motor assembly I used in my air roaster and replaced it with a higher value. But before you do this, it's a good idea to take a close look at the materials used and consider what they are actually capable of withstanding.
So many beans; so little time....

CoffeeAndKimuras
https://imgur.com...
Is this the temperature sensor for the failsafe? Would it be possible to just relocate this away from the bread pan or outside the BM to keep it from reading high and shutting off?

JackH wrote:

forum.homeroasters.org/forum/attachments/capture_67.jpg

Edited by JackH on 08/18/2018 9:44 AM

BenKeith
Since a bread machine was never intended to be used at the temps required for roasting coffee, you will probably have to bypass the sensor, it's just going to blow it again if you replace it with a like one. To keep this device you will need to go to one of a higher temp rating. Probably something in the 700+ degree range to keep it from regularly blowing. They are also usually spot welded onto the wires so that may create a problem for you also. Regular solder will melt at your working temps. You can silver solder them but you will need to heat sink the sensor very well. Most silver solders require more heat than the device is rated for.
To do away with it, just put a solid wire between the two points the wires connected to the sensor.

CoffeeAndKimuras
for the time being I have just taken the sensor off of the breadpan and lead the wires outside so that it doesnt overheat. this seems to have done the trick...for as long as it lasts.

jackofalltrades
Which model of Oster bread maker are you using? I am using the Oster machine, too, mine is the 2-Pound Expressbake Bread Machine. It works good for me so far since I bought it last December.

https://www.cfone.net/
Jump to Forum: