Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

NewBean
06/12/2019 3:57 PM
Just waiting on my TC4 shipment then it's roasting time

snwcmpr
06/03/2019 11:37 AM
I rarely purchase roasted coffee. I just ordered 4 bags from Mountain Air Roaster.

tm97
05/30/2019 12:34 PM
Hi, I use a wok with a glass lid for roasting. shaking the wok is a good exercise, actually.

NetriX
05/29/2019 9:08 PM
morning

snwcmpr
05/27/2019 1:56 AM
Kenya Nyeri Katogoto

Users Online
Guests Online: 5

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 6,015
Newest Member: rblankin
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
Groveland Hill Roas... - 25.00
renatoa - 2.00
JitterzZ - 50.00
PRABHATH COFFEE WORKS - 10.00
John Despres (Scene... - 25.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Green Coffee Suppliers
Ozo
I have always bought coffee from Sweet Marias as I lived on the US west coast near SF.in the Sierra mountains. Recently I moved to NE Florida' space coast. I like SM because they give a listing specifically for espresso and often these are supposedly good for roasting to Full City+. I was looking for other suppliers here on the east coast which list there offerings in this way. Do you have any suggestions.

Sweet Marias shipping is reasonable but I wish to do a comparison not that I am very serious about dumping SM whose quality is excellent, and reliable

Below is an example of their list profiled as "Good for espresso". Scrolling down this list I see roast recommendations for City to Full City and Full City+ even to Vienna.

https://www.sweet...m_status=1
Tim

"Espresso is a miracle of chemistry in a cup."
Andrea Illy

ChicagoJohn
I like Happy Mug, located in PA up around Lake Erie. Ginny told me about them a few years ago. They have an employee, Emmett, who travels around and makes selections for them and I think they do a good job of characterizing them on their site. My wife is the espresso drinker here having spent a lot of time in WA years ago, and we did a pretty comprehensive trial of several Happy Mug SO's and she really loved their Brazil 19+ Vanilla. I roast that up just until shortly after 2nd crack starts at 430°F. From your pictures, I'd say yours is maybe a tad darker. I usually try to buy 20 lb at a time because they will ship that for just under $11 and it arrives in a couple days.

I have also bought from Sweet Maria's in the past, and still do occasionally, and they also do a great job too.
So many beans; so little time....

Ozo
ChicagoJohn wrote:

I like Happy Mug, located in PA up around Lake Erie. Ginny told me about them a few years ago. They have an employee, Emmett, who travels around and makes selections for them and I think they do a good job of characterizing them on their site. My wife is the espresso drinker here having spent a lot of time in WA years ago, and we did a pretty comprehensive trial of several Happy Mug SO's and she really loved their Brazil 19+ Vanilla. I roast that up just until shortly after 2nd crack starts at 430°F. From your pictures, I'd say yours is maybe a tad darker. I usually try to buy 20 lb at a time because they will ship that for just under $11 and it arrives in a couple days.

I looked that up and I quote, "For espresso, try taking it 10-20 seconds into the 2nd cracks -- just enough to get a spotty oil. Use it anywhere from 40%-100% in your espresso blend. You can take it as far as 40 seconds into 2nd cracks for a stronger espresso in flavored latte beverages but it starts to get more bitter the darker you go"
I assume you are not blending. I will give that a shot (pun intended}. Still it is hard to find that without a lot of reading unless assisted by others like yourself.

SM has seven countries SO beans listed as "for espresso" but not surprisingly, none from Brazil.
Tim

Andrea Illy

ChicagoJohn
That's interesting. I hadn't seen it before. I like light - medium roasts and tried that for my wife's espresso. It was a lot harder to grind fine and she hated the taste. So noticing the rather marked difference between the color of that ant the Lavazza she was drinking, I went in steps up to 430°F and start of 2nd crack, and all of a sudden we discovered that my Yirgacheffe was now palatable to her. So that profile was the basis of an evaluation of something like 8 SO's in double-blind taste testing (where we also considered inter-rater reliability) and that is how we settled on the Brazil 19+ vanilla. She likes that better than Lavazza Super Crema which was, in turn, a major improvement over the Charbucks espresso blend she had been used to for a long time. We've gone back and forth occasionally re-confirming this and the Brazil 19+ vanilla always wins for her.

Ozo
That quote is from Happy Mug.
Tim

Andrea Illy

ChicagoJohn
Ozo wrote:

That quote is from Happy Mug.

I know. I don't recall ever reading it, so thanks for the info.

Jump to Forum: