Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

snwcmpr
03/20/2019 4:17 AM
Eth Yirg Nat Idido Gr1 today.

snwcmpr
03/18/2019 8:15 AM
1 lb roasted lasts a week. I can taste the flavor increase to peak, then drop after. Still very good, but interesting to follow the wave of flavor rise and fall.

snwcmpr
03/11/2019 4:10 PM
Roasted Panama Gesha Esmeralda yesterday. Yummy.

Beebee74
03/11/2019 3:10 PM
I seem to have lost any roasting touch I thought I had. Very frustrated to be wasting time and money. I’m hoping someone can provide some insight on roasting at high altitude. I’m at 4400ft. Thank

aicardo
03/07/2019 8:50 AM
tb

Users Online
Guests Online: 1

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 5,859
Newest Member: Hozer56
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
renatoa - 2.00
JitterzZ - 50.00
PRABHATH COFFEE WORKS - 10.00
John Despres (Scene... - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Drum roaster from scratch
robkun
Hi everyone,

I am really new to this forum, and generally I am a newbie in the filed of home coffee roasting.
Nevertheless, in the past I have tried several methods to roast coffee, but seemingly drum roasters are the best suitable machines to get the right roast results. Furthermore, instead of buying a roaster, I have decided to build one from scratch. ThumbsUp

I have already some CAD drawing about the main components of the housing, but I failed to figure out how the rotating shaft (diam.: 12 mm, for the drum rotation) is mounted to the bushing and the front panel of the roaster. Is there any special flanged bearing unit to use? I also don't now, if one must use heat resistant (high temperature) ball bearings or not. How did you mounted the beraing and the shaft in your roasters?

Reagrding size of the drum: it is about 20 cm (~ 8inch) in diameter and has 25 cm (~10 inch) length.

Since I am quite in the beginning of this project, in the planning phase, I don't have any picture to post, yet.

Thank you for your help in advance!

Best regards from Germany,
Robert

renatoa
Welcome

So Stronghold is not giving good results... Grin BBQ grill
DIY: TO based IR to bean 750g
Moded commercial: Dieckmann RoestMeister, Nesco, popcorn.
TC4ESP, PID controllers, MS6514 USB/Artisan/Apps
Grinder: MBK Feldgrind, mod'ed Porlex to 47 conical burrs, vintage PeDe Dienes

robkun
Hi renatoa,

what do you mean? Grin

renatoa
That could be other machines in the 1 kg ballpark you are aiming (supposed on drum size), easier to build than a drum machine (for me), and giving good results, even pro grade I dare to say.

Stronghold (S7) is a commercial such machine, costing $$$$, that can be replicated pretty easy, despite the futuristic look it exhibits.
DIY: TO based IR to bean 750g
Moded commercial: Dieckmann RoestMeister, Nesco, popcorn.
TC4ESP, PID controllers, MS6514 USB/Artisan/Apps
Grinder: MBK Feldgrind, mod'ed Porlex to 47 conical burrs, vintage PeDe Dienes

Jump to Forum: