Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

CharcoalRoaster
11/04/2019 1:58 AM
+1 snwcmpr

snwcmpr
11/03/2019 2:16 AM
Can we make the shoutbox UNAVAILABLE until a member has a certain number of posts?

allenb
11/01/2019 2:20 AM
Funopt, please post in the gas and electric heat sources forum

Funopt
10/30/2019 5:17 AM
Can someone help me for using forced propane burner as my heating element. I rather want to use lpg than electric. Do you think it would work

snwcmpr
10/22/2019 5:31 AM
Thanks to you all....... I was not sleeping ... I stayed awake worried about it all. :)

Users Online
Guests Online: 5

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 6,240
Newest Member: SturdNerd
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
renatoa - 2.00
JitterzZ - 2.01
renatoa - 2.00
allenb - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
(Paper Filters and the) Moccamaster KB -- Maybe a new one.
ChicagoJohn
snwcmpr wrote:

Moccamaster is still not my fav brewer. It is now just the easiest.
The only other difference, other than water temp, is the filter. A No 4 Natural paper, washed in hot water before the brew.
It is the only brewer that I use those filters.

Hario V60 with No 2 (?) natural paper from Japan is an awesome cup. We just proved it again this morning.
Chemex, awesome. Natural paper, washed before use.
Bialetti Stainless version, awesome.

I've read that paper filters remove cafestol, a substance that reportedly can elevate LDL levels in the blood. Based upon your recommendation I have ordered a pack of Hario #2 natural paper filters and will wash them before use as you say. I think they should work OK with my paperless SS cone filter but if not I'll just buy a Hario V60. Thanks! (Just had my annual physical two weeks ago and my LDL was elevated so this will be a good thing to do.)
Edited by ChicagoJohn on 08/07/2018 5:01 AM
So many beans; so little time....

renatoa
The 2012 article source of this info:
https://www.scien...6912002360

"Filtered coffees such as drip-filter and soluble coffee contain negligible levels of cafestol in the brew, as the paper filter in drip filtered coffee retains the diterpenes and in soluble coffee the diterpenes are retained with the grounds during production..."
...followed by a link to a 1997 paid article, the real source of the paper properties related to cafestol.

ChicagoJohn
snwcmpr wrote:

Hario V60 with No 2 (?) natural paper from Japan is an awesome cup.

Received my No 2 Hario V60 natural filters and they fit my SS paperless cone perfectly. Now I won't have to be concerned about cafestol, no negatives at all -- flavor and filtration rates the same -- and clean-up is now much easier. I'll be using these from now on. Thanks again.
So many beans; so little time....

snwcmpr
Update:
I have been using the 'Hemp' filter. Rinsing it in hot water, then drying it by hanging.
The flavor of the coffee is there, again.
So... Conclusion ... the paper filter is the culprit.

I took the box out of the drawer and saw it was a different brand than we usually use. I had thought that brown unbleached filters would all be the same. NOT!!
It was these ... https://www.ifyou...e-filters/

Since we stopped using them the coffee machine brews flavorful coffee.

Yeah buddy!

Ken in NC
--------------
Backwoods Roaster
"I wish I could taste as well as I wish I could roast."

As Abraham Lincoln said "Do not trust everything you read on the internet".

CK
As a sidenote, you may not want to continue using citric acid descalers as they can leave a bad taste in the machine according to the manufacturer. See the subtitle descaling;
https://www.mocca...vice/faqs/
Edited by CK on 11/01/2019 5:30 AM

snwcmpr
Interesting read.

I ran water through it many times after the cleaning. Apparently I should have used soda (or soda ash)

My water here is so good, I have never had the scaling light come on.
I only cleaned as part of the test. I found it was the brand of paper.
--------------
Backwoods Roaster

CK
I never had scale issues with the water I use either. Nonetheless, it's a good resource to refer back to from time to time.

I found the heading "Prepare a small jug of coffee" very interesting. Although a little precarious to put the carafe under the filter holder later, when brewing 300-500ml, it definitely yields a nicer cup with my roasts. Sweetness and smoothness are much better with about a 3.5-4 minute extraction time for the smaller amount of water. I slowly and carefully place the jug under at nearly 3 minutes and it finishes the brew at just the right time.

snwcmpr
We generally only use 6 cups and 45 grams. 2 of us, no extra.
--------------
Backwoods Roaster

Jump to Forum: