Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

CharcoalRoaster
05/14/2019 1:46 AM
I just roasted 500g of Mocha Mattari -- it's on it's third day of rest. Should be cracking into it tomorrow AM and I can't wait!

John Despres
05/12/2019 2:51 PM
Good evening! What's roasting? Yemen Mocha Mattari in my cup today.

snwcmpr
05/12/2019 5:59 AM
Hey Ed. BBQ grill

homeroaster
05/11/2019 1:47 PM
Hey, y'all! The Homeoroaster here. What's hot that I need to look at? pouring

allenb
05/11/2019 7:54 AM
Hi nano and welcome to HRO! I would post your message in HUGS which is near the end of the Discussion Forum list.

Users Online
Guests Online: 4

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 5,964
Newest Member: Melangers
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
Groveland Hill Roas... - 25.00
renatoa - 2.00
JitterzZ - 50.00
PRABHATH COFFEE WORKS - 10.00
John Despres (Scene... - 25.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
TC4+ Arduino coffee roaster shield (TC4-compatible)
renatoa
Is what I am doing, but the goal is to simplify, not complicate Grin
AI assisted roasting, doesn't sound cool ? Grin

CharcoalRoaster
I've been trying to connect my SSRs to my TC4 and having some issues with my female dupont connectors. I get the connectors crimped onto my wire properly and inserted into the housing but when I go to slide it onto the male pins they are very loose

Any suggestions on how to better connections?

mg512
CharcoalRoaster wrote:

I've been trying to connect my SSRs to my TC4 and having some issues with my female dupont connectors. I get the connectors crimped onto my wire properly and inserted into the housing but when I go to slide it onto the male pins they are very loose

Any suggestions on how to better connections?

Do you have a TC4, or a TC4+? If I recall correctly, the TC4 by default has angled male headers for the SSR connection, right? I went with screw terminals on the TC4+ precisely because I struggled with getting a good connection on the TC4 as well. ;) I think to an extent that's just the design of the Dupont connectors. It should be OK though - it's usually just the plastic housing that's loose, not the metal connector itself. Some suggestions if not:
* You could get a 2-pin housing, that might make it a little more stable. (Assuming you have two 1-pin housings now.)
* Or you could crimp something like a female Molex KK connector onto the wire, I think those should fit on the male Dupont headers on the board.
* If you want to do it properly, desolder the male header from the board, and solder a different connector of your choice instead. Molex KK / JST / screw terminal - all should be pretty decent. You'd have to check if you have enough space, I think there's a whole row of connectors there on the TC4.
* Or you could get a TC4+ of course. ;)

https://www.tindie.com/products/15798/
CharcoalRoaster
TC4 - I considered the TC4+ but went with the TC4 since I didn't feel like I was running an AC fan and didn't need the bluetooth. Thanks for your work on the TC4+ though! It is a great board from what I've been reading/following.

Yeah, it's male pins. I've got the wire crimped in nice and tight but can't get a firm connection with the metal female connectors in or out of the plastic housing. I was actually using a 2-pin housing which was making me so frustrated as I was thinking the same thing.

Thanks mg512!

I'll look into some screw terminals or another connector option.

mg512
CharcoalRoaster wrote:

TC4 - I considered the TC4+ but went with the TC4 since I didn't feel like I was running an AC fan and didn't need the bluetooth. Thanks for your work on the TC4+ though! It is a great board from what I've been reading/following.

Yeah, it's male pins. I've got the wire crimped in nice and tight but can't get a firm connection with the metal female connectors in or out of the plastic housing. I was actually using a 2-pin housing which was making me so frustrated as I was thinking the same thing.

Thanks mg512!

I'll look into some screw terminals or another connector option.

Haha, yep, the TC4+ has a few quality of life improvements beyond the headline features. ;)

Any chance you bent the connector while crimping? I've found Dupont difficult to crimp well, especially with the ratchet-type crimp tools you can get on eBay. You could consider investing in a proper crimp tool - Engineer PAD-02 has been an amazing long-term investment for me - pricey, but I have not needed any other crimp tool ever since. Or you could just get some pre-crimped Dupont jumper wires, and strip the other side off.

Screw terminal is probably the easiest option though. That way you can also use slightly thicker wires, which makes it easy to crimp a ring or spade connector onto the SSR end for a better connection there.

CharcoalRoaster
I was looking at swapping out the pins with screw terminals but I'm not sure I'm confident enough in my (de)soldering abilities Roflmao

renatoa
Next release should provide welding pads Grin

mg512
renatoa wrote:

Next release should provide welding pads Grin

You mean solder pads? As in surface-mount ones? I don't think most people want to deal with surface mount soldering. Besides, the TC4+ already solves this by using screw terminals, this is about the plain TC4. ;)

CharcoalRoaster wrote:

I was looking at swapping out the pins with screw terminals but I'm not sure I'm confident enough in my (de)soldering abilities Roflmao

Yeah, desoldering can be tricky, I avoid it when I can. Maybe try it with something expendable first... ;)

Or as I mentioned earlier, get (pre-crimped) Dupont jumper wires. Strip off the other end, or actually you could even just crimp a ring connector around the Dupont connector on the SSR end. Not pretty, but would probably do the trick.

greencardigan
Or solder wires directly to the pins?

I have a stack of pre built jumper wires with connectors pre installed. I just cut a connector off one end.

Jump to Forum: