Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

snwcmpr
10/18/2019 2:37 PM
Eth Nat Yirg Idido roasted yesterday. I dropped some off at a friends coffee shop. In a few days he will brew it and tell me what he thinks. We believe my roasts are better than what we buy.

snwcmpr
10/16/2019 2:52 PM
Thank you for all you guys do.

JackH
10/15/2019 2:02 AM
They seem to be after the shoutbox. They have been removed. I don't see anything in the forums.

snwcmpr
10/14/2019 3:27 PM
We have been hacked. A whole lot of posts that have filled up the whole forum.

snwcmpr
10/10/2019 4:49 AM
Honduras Royal Reserve today.

Users Online
Guests Online: 5

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 6,196
Newest Member: donfromindy
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
renatoa - 2.00
allenb - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00
Groveland Hill Roas... - 25.00
renatoa - 2.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
sourcing roaster controller
Justinpogge
been using artisan with a phidget 1048 on my drum roaster, but it only works for data logging. i want to control the heat and exhaust fan. the arduino and tc4 setup seems to be the best option but i cannot source the tc4 board anywhere. can someone point me in the right direction or have a suggestion for a better controller setup? i plan to continue using artisan for data longing and the ability to use a variety of hardware is a plus.

renatoa
You can control heater much simple, using an USB custom controller, as I told here:
https://forum.hom...post_64922

If interested I can send you the control app.
DIY: TO based IR to bean 750g
Moded commercial: Dieckmann RoestMeister, Nesco, popcorn.
TC4ESP, PID controllers, MS6514 USB/Artisan/Apps
Grinder: MBK Feldgrind, mod'ed Porlex to 47 conical burrs, vintage PeDe Dienes

BenKeith
There are a couple of people on this site that have created their own version of a roast controller.
There are a couple that have reproduced the TC4 Shield and selling those. You might notice I am one of those that reproduced the TC4 but I only did it for my own use and have no intentions of selling them.
You might get some PM's from those selling them, but if not, you can look back a few threads at Looking for TC4C and see who's doing what and PM them.

renatoa
Why not use just an arduino board without any TC4 shield, for control only?
The transistors used to buffer OT1 and OT2 on the TC4 board aren't a must, a SSR can be controlled directly using a GPIO pin.

allenb
renatoa wrote:

Why not use just an arduino board without any TC4 shield, for control only?

This sounds interesting. But, what will be required for ADC for thermocouple input?

Allen
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

renatoa
He wrote is using phidget.
Or a Mastech/Volcraft, or other supported usb dual thermometer device.

chaff
There's a protoyping shield board for the UNO with space to solder one MAX31855 SMD package or else there are breakout boards, with MAX31855 mounted for either about $20 from Adafruit of for varying prices via the big river and the big boat, prices about $5.00 - $20.

If you go the second route beware, the cheapest ones have bad circuits on board, I've had 100% failure with them, the IC's are marked 780AB, as in this post:
[urlhttps://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=526439.0][/url]

I just went up market, the $10.00 version has a 3v3 regulator on board and the IC markings suggest a non-bad chip.

Minimum sample time for the MAX31855 is 100mSec ( 220mSec for the MAX6675) which is good but the cost of the breakout boards soon exceeds the price of the TC-4 which is a shame.

BenKeith
That's all well and good for the electronics types and those that know Arduino, but I think you will find the average home roaster wouldn't even know what a breakout board is, much less how to assemble a working replacement for the TC4. Even if they got that far, next they will have to figure out how to make Arduino tell it what they want to do if they based it around the Arduino.
Edited by BenKeith on 04/29/2018 3:07 PM

renatoa
I don't see the reason to push sample time more than 10x faster than the slow temperature change rate due to the TC/chip resolution.
Explanation: an average 10 C/m RoR led us to one C degree change every 6 seconds.
The MAX/TC resolution is 0.25 C degree.
So we have 4 unique temperature values in a 6 seconds windows, a change every 1.5 seconds, as average... what sense have to acquire them 15 times faster, at 100 ms rate ?
If you see this as an oversampling, I find it a bit excessive...

Anyway, the thread is about control Grin

chaff
Geez, just answering the question. I had the impression that people were finding it hard to source the prebuilt boards and also there was a question about the slow sample times limited by the hardware choice on the TC-4.

Jump to Forum: