bullet2.gif Last check: 08.19.18
bullet2.gif Slap count: 0
bullet2.gif Last checked ID: 6735
Donations
View Thread
Homeroasters.org » THE ART OF ROASTING COFFEE » Roasting Profiles
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Newbie, looking for advice on how I'm going wrong with my hot-rodded popcorn popper?
AMRoberts
ThomasCee wrote:
... The Guatemala's I purchased, I have enjoyed very much. Seemed to be a very "full bodied" cup; my brother described it as a "big tasting dinner coffee" ...

Hope I can get there, I've got a Mason jar full of my attempt on the Guatemala Xinabajul San Pedro Necta next in the drinking queue.

I ended up changing more things than just the beans (bad experimental practice). I have an open-top box shielding the popper from breezes, and casual exhaust air recycling ... A leaky duct steering exhaust air to a screened port in the side of box. Chaff stops at the screen, but warmed air makes it into the box, increasing inlet air temperature for the popper.

Most importantly, I've run enough batches through this popper to realize I've got two paths for reaching a dark (FC+ / Vienna) roast:

1. If I run the 4-4 drying and ramp to first crack time, then the overall time for a dark roast is going long (16-18+ minutes). Or,

2. I crank things up harder early in the roast (shorter drying time, shorter ramp to first crack), and I can reach FC+/Vienna in 11-12 minutes.

Since my samples include two bags of Guatemala, I decided to try the second approach for my roasts this weekend. I held ET=350F for only 3 minutes, then went to 100% heater power and backed down airflow as much as possible while keeping the beans in motion. When ET made it to 480-490F, I held that temperature until ending the roast.

Start of first crack was consistent at 6 minutes, ending close to the 8 minute mark. For the first time I could actually hear the second crack. Of course I don't know if this was due to the different beans, because I was using more aggressive heat, or because I had ear protection on until I reached lower fan speeds. End of roast was 11 minutes for the two batches I'd call Full City+, and 12 minutes for the three batches I'd call between FC+ and Vienna.

I guess I'm risking underdevelopment, but the sample beans from each batch that I cut open have consistent interior color.

... I'll post some of my roasts here next time I roast.

Looking forward to that, thanks!

Jump to Forum: