snwcmpr - 10.00
Ozo - 20.00
Josh Woodrow - 10.00
John Wattleworth - 20.00

View Thread

Homeroasters.org » THE ART OF ROASTING COFFEE » Roasting Profiles
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
How do YOU tweak roast profile to draw out body and sweetness?
mountainhick
Title pretty much says it.

I'll preface my own comments by saying that I pretty much always drink espresso, straight shots and crave a cloying/lasting sweetness as part of the flavor profile. I also like a bit of bite/acidity, but even more sweetness helps balance bite.

Part of these attributes come down to bean choice, but how about the roasting itself?

In my own experimentation, a slightly longer overall roast time, slightly slowing down/lengthening interval between first and second crack and stopping roast/starting cooling just entering second crack helps body in particular, but I haven't quite nailed down the sweetness aspect.

I currently use poppers with both fan speed and heating element control and shoot for around a 15min total roast time.

garageroaster
Killing your roast closer to FC will sweeten your cup providing your using the right bean. It's a fine line to walk because killing it to soon can really ruin the batch. I prefer the sweeter cup myself and have disciplined myself to stay close to first crack and trust I'll get it fine tuned in a few batches. Rate of Rise is supposed to affect it also but I find it difficult to discern that so far but I'm still learning. I tend to average a 9-10 roast and would say my pour overs are considered sweet. One thing I've learned is the Chemex will make a light light roast to "light" while my Kalita adds more "body" to a light roast, my aeropress tends to always be heavy enough under the right ratios. Cheers.

mountainhick
Thanks,

By FC, i assume you mean first crack, not Full City?

I don't do pour over so I wonder how much of this difference is due to brewing method and how much is due to out relative roasting techniques/profiles.

I find that not letting it go at least close to the first few pops of 2nd crack leaves an edginess that becomes more dominant than desired or even overpowering in espresso

I found some info regarding sweetness, caramelization and maillard reaction that essentially said extending the duration of yellow to brown stage before first crack can actually be counter productive, by overdoing the breakdown of sugars.

I tend to slow things down entering and through first crack, which seems pretty standard procedure for many roasters. Mill city roasters talk about the need to slow it down due to the roasting reactions becoming exothermic and the speed of heat rise increasing if you don;t put on the brakes a bit. I guess I'll try playing with this and stopping the roast a wee bit ealrier.

Jump to Forum: