Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

snwcmpr
09/18/2019 4:09 AM
JavaBob ... You will get more response if you post a question on the forum rather than the shoutbox.

Mathew
09/17/2019 5:50 AM
check out the Hive Roaster!

JavaBob
09/16/2019 4:03 PM
Has anyone used a Leister hot air blower to roast coffee and if so, which model did you use? What was your experience like?

JavaBob
09/16/2019 3:53 PM
Source for customable borosilicate glass cylinders for use as a roasting chamber?

shoron
09/06/2019 7:25 AM
how to make medium raw colored beans to dark ?

Users Online
Guests Online: 5

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 6,138
Newest Member: Clavilux
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
renatoa - 2.00
allenb - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00
Groveland Hill Roas... - 25.00
renatoa - 2.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Artisan 1.2.0 and "External Program"
groucho
Hello:

I have recently been searching for a driverless way to use a second single channel meter along with the two channel temperature meter I use with Artisan.

This second meter is a Tenmars TM-712 with a RS232 link but there are no available drivers for it.

Artisan software has what seems to be a way to do this using an "external program" which I assume could be the second meter's native software.

It's rather primitive WinTel software with a badly written UI but it does something no other software I have found can actually do:

It can collect the data as it is read by the meter or download it from from the unit's memory and display it in the program's UI.

Now, in Artisan 1.2.0, the configuration would be as follows ...

Config -> Device -> External Program

... but alas, there are no actual instructions as to how to do it.

The Help file says:

"Allows to link to external programs that print temperature when called
The output of the program must be to Stdout (like when using print statements)
this allows to connect meters that use any programming language.

Example of output needed from program for single temperature (BT)
"100.4" (note: "" not needed)

Example of output needed from program for double temperature (ET,BT)
"200.4,100.4" (note: temperatures are separated by a comma "ET,BT")

Example of a file written in python language called test.py:
#comment: print a string with two numbers separated by a comma
#!/usr/bin/env python
print ("237.1,100.4")"

I have searched the web but found nothing on this, no instructions or practical examples and everything indicates that whoever wants to do it has to have some programming experience.

Has anyone here at HRO ever attempted to do this or seen any actual practical examples?

Thanks in advance,

G.

chaff
Hi, I've used that interface but, as you say, with a little coding help. It works well with Python scripting language where it's easy to print text values into a "console session" ( the old style DOS command session on Windows). For what you want the external program would need to query your instrument and then print text values into such a console session. I don't know how to easily do that but the web says that using 'type COM(n) ' in a batch file will print the response from a comm port.

I couldn't find any details ( or even mention ) of the particular instrument, TM-712 so I don't know what format it outputs. Maybe connect the instrument to a com port and either use a windows comm terminal app ( hyperterm ? ) to see what messages come from the instrument or : in Artisan, use Config-Device-Extra to choose a Center 304, with the comms port that you are using, and then Help-Serial to see what the instrument is sending.

If you can make sense of the data coming from the instrument then it would be a case of writing something in Python or perhaps adding some extra stuff in Artisan and re-compilng .

As Groucho might remark, "If I could write code like that I wouldn't be roasting coffee beans" (rimshot)

renatoa
gaucho sent me his meter protocol manual, a lot more complicate than Mastech and Volcraft I am accustomed, actually the most complicate protocol of a device of such class.
Not impossible to do, but surely take a lot of time without the meter handy for trial (and horror :) )
Recommended him have a look at RoastLogger display OCR as a data input alternative acquisition method instead Artisan and wired.

groucho
Hello:
chaff wrote:
... used that interface but, as you say, with a little coding help.

Thought as much.

chaff wrote:
It works well with Python scripting language where it's easy to print text values into a "console session" (the old style DOS command session on Windows).

I've been a Linux follower for the longest while but only 97% committed for the last three or four years, the remaining 3% being my tote-about W98SE netbook and what I am under obligation to use at work.

But I am (still) at a loss with respect to Python and such ...

For the moment, I'm using the Asus 1000HE to run Artisan when I roast but I'm looking into booting a light/persistent Linux from an SD to do the same which may/will give Artisan more available resouces and apart from W98.

chaff wrote:
... the external program would need to query your instrument and then print text values into such a console session.
... the web says that using 'type COM(n) ' in a batch file will print the response from a comm port.

I recall using Hyperterm, it helped me out when the my modem (!) went haywire.

chaff wrote:
... couldn't find any details (or even mention) of the particular instrument ...

As luck would have it, it was discontinued shortly after I purchased it.
Tenmars marketed under it's own name and also under other brands eg: Royston in the UK.

It connects in what I think is a common manner to the interface host: a three contact mini-audio type connector on the unit and the DB-9 at the PC, which reminds me of how my old Casio SF-9500 (?) transfered data via the PC-Link software.

ie: (from memory)
Rx <-> pin 3 Tx
Tx <-> pin 2 Rx DB9
Gd <-> pin 5 Gd

I will try to run some experiments with the console output and see what I can get from the Tenmars unit and the output format.

chaff wrote:
... use Config-Device-Extra to choose a Center 304, with the comms port that you are using, and then Help-Serial to see what the instrument is sending.

I tried getting it to work as one of the available RS232 units but it gave errors. I'll try again and see what happens.

chaff wrote:
If you can make sense of the data coming from the instrument then it would be a case of writing something in Python ...

I'll see about the output and get back with the results.

chaff wrote:
... or perhaps adding some extra stuff in Artisan and re-compilng .

Ahhh ...
That's way over my head.

chaff wrote:
As Groucho might remark, "If I could write code like that I wouldn't be roasting coffee beans" (rimshot)

Indeed ... 8^D!

Thank you very much for your intput.

G.

PD: re natoa suggested the RoastLogger software with the OCR display but I don't have a couple of cams to use and would rather insist with what I have at hand.

Don't laugh: I'm still actively using my trusty PalmIIIxe which I maintain with a box full of spare parts. It's been in use (in its various incarnations) for the past 17 years or so. ;-)
Edited by groucho on 03/25/2018 6:49 AM

Jump to Forum: