Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

snwcmpr
10/18/2019 2:37 PM
Eth Nat Yirg Idido roasted yesterday. I dropped some off at a friends coffee shop. In a few days he will brew it and tell me what he thinks. We believe my roasts are better than what we buy.

snwcmpr
10/16/2019 2:52 PM
Thank you for all you guys do.

JackH
10/15/2019 2:02 AM
They seem to be after the shoutbox. They have been removed. I don't see anything in the forums.

snwcmpr
10/14/2019 3:27 PM
We have been hacked. A whole lot of posts that have filled up the whole forum.

snwcmpr
10/10/2019 4:49 AM
Honduras Royal Reserve today.

Users Online
Guests Online: 2

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 6,196
Newest Member: donfromindy
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
renatoa - 2.00
allenb - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00
Groveland Hill Roas... - 25.00
renatoa - 2.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Real Hillbilly Fluid Bed Roaster
ahardinger
So, I wanted to share my DIY hot air roaster with you all. It's really rough around the edges but was also dirt cheap to build. I don't plan on it lasting for very long but it's fun to use and does the job!

Starting from the bottom and working up. First is a 120V mattress inflator from Walmart which has an interchangeable nozzle system. One of the nozzles fits very well into the heater tube which is on top of that. It is the element from a 1500 watt harbor freight heat gun. The red goo is high temperature silicone which I used to seal up a few holes as well as to secure some of the thermocouple wires.

On top of the heat gun, to keep beans out of the elements, is a square of aluminum screen, like for screen doors, which is sandwiched between the end of the heater and a hand made sheet metal funnel. The hose clamp keeps everything tight and secure.

Next comes an empty can of peaches serving as my roast chamber. High temperature aluminum flue tape seals it to the funnel. I have an extension for the roast chamber as well in case I want to roast 200 grams of beans instead of my normal 150g.

The board to the left of the column is my custom made roast controller. Mostly, I wanted to design this because that's what I like to do. But I also wanted something that was more tightly integrated and cleaner from a wiring and physical installation perspective. I'm going to post a new thread over in the DATA LOGGERS - CONTROLLERS... forum to talk about it in detail.

-Aaron
ahardinger attached the following images:
controller.jpg full_view_1.jpg roast_chamber_interface_1.jpg

Edited by ahardinger on 03/03/2018 10:58 PM

DaveInWoodland
I guess I have a question. My past experience has been very negative when using anything aluminum in roasting. The metal flavor of the aluminum was always a problem.

ahardinger
DaveInWoodland wrote:

I guess I have a question. My past experience has been very negative when using anything aluminum in roasting. The metal flavor of the aluminum was always a problem.

Not that I've noticed, comparing against using a popcorn popper. Then again, I don't think there is much aluminum touching the beans other than the screen?

Jump to Forum: