Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

CharcoalRoaster
11/04/2019 1:58 AM
+1 snwcmpr

snwcmpr
11/03/2019 2:16 AM
Can we make the shoutbox UNAVAILABLE until a member has a certain number of posts?

allenb
11/01/2019 2:20 AM
Funopt, please post in the gas and electric heat sources forum

Funopt
10/30/2019 5:17 AM
Can someone help me for using forced propane burner as my heating element. I rather want to use lpg than electric. Do you think it would work

snwcmpr
10/22/2019 5:31 AM
Thanks to you all....... I was not sleeping ... I stayed awake worried about it all. :)

Users Online
Guests Online: 4

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 6,246
Newest Member: cabbar
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
renatoa - 2.00
JitterzZ - 2.01
renatoa - 2.00
allenb - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Heat Source Behind Drum?
Thirstyboots
Hi All! New member here and tossing around ideas on building a drum roaster. Nothing big, maybe 1 kilogram size. I'm looking at putting either a solid drum or perforated drum inside an insulated steel tube. Any ideas about putting the heat source in the back behind the bean drum instead of underneith. Preferably an infrared. Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Thirstyboots

renatoa
Why this preference?

The back is where usually the motor is placed, placing heat there will force you to extend the drum axis, to remote the motor.
Also, some heat will waste even if the tube is sealed, because the natural behaviour of heat is to go up, above the tube.

Thirstyboots
Thanks for the feedback. I had same concern with heet not circulating the whole space around drum with heetsource being in back. My setup will be basically the bean roasting drum within a outside drum. Outside drum demensions is 8 inch diameter by 12 inches long. I was tossing ideas around of the best size for roasting drum size. Couple ideas was a drum size of 6x7 with heatsource in back or 5x10 drum size with flame heat underneith. What are thoughts on roasting drum length being 2 X the Diameter (5x10) with beans shooting out front gate. Will beans mix well enough?

Thanks,
Thirstyboots

renatoa
Which quantity, which drum volume ? 1 kg requires 6 litres, a formula you can find here and elsewhere.
Is your drum large enough ? I don't think so... my computations give 3 litres for both drums sizes above.
In a 14x23 cm drum I tested in the past, close to your drums volume, wasn't able to roast evenly more than 600 grams.
DIY: TO based IR to bean 750g
Moded commercial: Dieckmann RoestMeister, Nesco, popcorn.
TC4ESP, PID controllers, MS6514 USB/Artisan/Apps
Grinder: MBK Feldgrind, mod'ed Porlex to 47 conical burrs, vintage PeDe Dienes

Want to Help?
By donating you can ensure that HR will continue to be open for years to come. Expenses are 100% transparent and can be viewed publicly at all times. You can find more information on donations and why we request them by reading up on the forum topic here. Thank you.

Thirstyboots
600 grams would be great. This would give me just over a pound of coffee after water is extracted from beans. So if roasting 500-600 grams you think the 5x10 drum will work if properly placing fins inside drum?

Thanks.
Thirstyboots

renatoa
5x10 is a notch smaller than 14x23 cm... hmmm...
500 yes, 600... you will find :)

Jump to Forum: