August 19, 2018 21:12:48


Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
bullet2.gif Active Forums
bullet2.gif FORUM INDEX
bullet2.gif Downloads
bullet2.gif News
bullet2.gif Facebook Connect
bullet2.gif Forum FAQ
bullet2.gif Photo Gallery
bullet2.gif Search
bullet2.gif User's Voice
bullet2.gif Videos
Forum Threads
Newest Threads
bullet2.gif FS Breville bean mov...
bullet2.gif Baratza Sette 270
bullet2.gif Overheat / shutoff s...
bullet2.gif Craigslist now charg...
bullet2.gif FS $40 Breville Dose...
Hottest Threads
bullet2.gif TC4 with aArtisan... [366]
bullet2.gif Bobby M15's drum [158]
bullet2.gif Enhancing My HotT... [94]
bullet2.gif Bread machine build! [85]
bullet2.gif Halogen Radiant R... [62]
Users Online
bullet2.gif Guests Online: 4

bullet2.gif Members Online: 0

bullet2.gif Total Members: 5,493
bullet2.gif Newest Member: mreyes104
BotSlap Panel
bullet2.gif Last check: 08.19.18
bullet2.gif Slap count: 0
bullet2.gif Last checked ID: 6735
View Thread » DATALOGGERS - CONTROLLERS - RATE OF RISE METERS » Dataloggers/Controllers/Rate of Rise Meters
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Thermocouple to mini-plug connection

I just purchased a Mastech 6514 datalogger that came with two sets of thermocouples. One set already comes with the K type plug ends. But the other set (of closed metal) probes has crimped fork end fittings. I have some mini K type plugs that fit the Masstech, but they won't accept the metal probe's forked end fittings. Can I just cut off the fittings, strip a bit of the wire and wind that directly onto the screws inside the k plugs or is there some other type of k plug I should get that uses the fork end fittings?


... or local/online electronic shops - digikey, mouser, farnell...
Hi Renatao,

Thanks for taking the time to respond. I have some little mini-plugs such as those you linked to, but they're too small to accept the fork ends of the probe.

The metal probes I have are something like this:


The fork ends of the metal probe are each 1/4" across and the outside width of the mini-plugs are 5/8." Seems like I need a different type of k plug or adaptor or have to cut the fork ends off???

Edited by JackH on 02-11-2018 12:08
I'd cut them off and use the mini K-type plugs.
Thanks Greencardigan,

I was hoping someone would say that! I've been afraid to cut them off without some sort of "permission" LOL!

Yep, cutting wires was been implied :)
However, with a bit of tinkering, you could mount such block on the plug:

Solder the pins inside on the miniplug blades, and screw the forks outside.
Hi Renatoa,

Interesting... but prefer not having to solder. I ended up cutting off the forks, stripping a bit of the wire and just wrapping the wire around the appropriate screws on the blades of the mini plugs I already have on hand. Seems to be working fine.

Just finished rigging up some brackets for the probes - one near the bottom of my bread machine for the bean mass temp and another one part way up above the beans for the ET. Tomorrow, we'll see if we can figure out how to use the system (heat gun/bread machine) with Artisan.

Jump to Forum:
Similar Threads
Thread Forum Replies Last Post
Another mini bucket cooler Bean Cooler 1 08-18-2018 02:48
Can't get RS232 connection for Center 303 Meter to work Dataloggers/Controllers/Rate of Rise Meters 3 12-17-2017 19:13
New Ukraina mini drum roaster Drum Roaster (Store Bought and Commercial) 3 07-13-2017 11:04
Upgrade to "K" thermocouple HotTop Roaster 2 01-19-2017 06:44
Fixing TC4 Artisan thermocouple arduino library Roasting Coffee 10 01-13-2017 07:38