Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
You must login to post a message.

· 07/04/2020 10:27 AM
Happy 4th of July! jazzyhands

· 06/24/2020 7:58 AM
@Mark McCornack, Please post your question in the forum.

Mark McCornack
· 06/15/2020 9:28 PM
Hi! Looking for a legacy inlet temp sensor on 13 yr old Gene Cafe. It seems they've changed it and now you need new mother board and new sensor. Any ideas where I can find compatibile old one? Mark

· 06/09/2020 6:39 PM
Wich thermometers Can i buy for my roasting machine compatible with usb or macbook?

· 06/05/2020 5:38 PM
peveleth, It is better if you start a post in the forum with your question. These shouts go away in time.

Users Online
Guests Online: 4

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 6,646
Newest Member: Nabguana
In Memory Of Ginny

Latest Donations
Anonymous - 5.00
Anonymous - 5.00
renatoa - 2.00
JitterzZ - 2.01
renatoa - 2.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Thermocouple to mini-plug connection

I just purchased a Mastech 6514 datalogger that came with two sets of thermocouples. One set already comes with the K type plug ends. But the other set (of closed metal) probes has crimped fork end fittings. I have some mini K type plugs that fit the Masstech, but they won't accept the metal probe's forked end fittings. Can I just cut off the fittings, strip a bit of the wire and wind that directly onto the screws inside the k plugs or is there some other type of k plug I should get that uses the fork end fittings?


... or local/online electronic shops - digikey, mouser, farnell...
Hi Renatao,

Thanks for taking the time to respond. I have some little mini-plugs such as those you linked to, but they're too small to accept the fork ends of the probe.

The metal probes I have are something like this:

The fork ends of the metal probe are each 1/4" across and the outside width of the mini-plugs are 5/8." Seems like I need a different type of k plug or adaptor or have to cut the fork ends off???

Edited by JackH on 02/11/2018 5:08 PM
I'd cut them off and use the mini K-type plugs.
Thanks Greencardigan,

I was hoping someone would say that! I've been afraid to cut them off without some sort of "permission" LOL!

Yep, cutting wires was been implied :)
However, with a bit of tinkering, you could mount such block on the plug:

Solder the pins inside on the miniplug blades, and screw the forks outside.
Hi Renatoa,

Interesting... but prefer not having to solder. I ended up cutting off the forks, stripping a bit of the wire and just wrapping the wire around the appropriate screws on the blades of the mini plugs I already have on hand. Seems to be working fine.

Just finished rigging up some brackets for the probes - one near the bottom of my bread machine for the bean mass temp and another one part way up above the beans for the ET. Tomorrow, we'll see if we can figure out how to use the system (heat gun/bread machine) with Artisan.

Jump to Forum:

Similar Threads

Thread Forum Replies Last Post
Thermocouple Drum Roasters 4 07/24/2019 1:17 PM
thermocouple issue Building a Coffee Roaster 6 03/24/2019 1:56 PM
Thermocouple Response and Filter Setting Dataloggers/Controllers/Rate of Rise Meters 11 03/15/2019 9:44 AM
Thermocouple Type for TC4/Arduino??? Dataloggers/Controllers/Rate of Rise Meters 3 03/10/2019 8:33 AM
Thermocouple Placement Fluidbed Roaster 14 01/17/2019 10:26 PM
Homeroasters Association Logo, and all Content, Images, and Icons © 2005-2016 Homeroasters Association - Logos are the property of their respective owners.
Powered by PHP-Fusion copyright © 2002 - 2020 by Nick Jones.
Released as free software without warranties under GNU Affero GPL v3.
Designed with by NetriX