John Despres (Scene... - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00
Ozo - 20.00
Josh Woodrow - 10.00
John Wattleworth - 20.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Not so much a 500g 'bake-a-round' anymore!
sethyrish
Thanks for chickpea advice. It will no doubt come in handy!

I had some success today; finding an oven proof bowl at Kmart ($6) and was able to drill it! I only bought one though because I was sure it would break.
It also has a nice indent on the lip so if I make a stainless steel ring they should just slot together and its own weight should hold it down. The pics are a bit distorted due to wide angle lens.
i.imgur.com/CP28KMV.jpg
i.imgur.com/MBvon95.jpg

sethyrish
Consolidation or laziness. Either way it works for me!
I hereby name him;
"i2q4t & coffee".

i.imgur.com/7KYgSex.jpg

sethyrish
I finally found a good size chamber for the three elements at 'the Salvos' charity store. A nice stainless steel ice bucket $4. The bowl is from a super market. Total roast chamber size is 6.3l.
i.imgur.com/DT2f2ME.jpg
i.imgur.com/04kJ4VT.jpg

sethyrish
In the Australian electronics magazine 'Silicon Chip' there's a design for a motor speed controller that is supposedly much better than a standard SCR or Triac-based controller. The article says, most triac based controllers can only use the second half wave of the 230VAC mains which is a max of 160VAC to the motor. This is a full wave universal motor speed controller that uses a PIC12F675 mirocontroller for precise phase control and also uses current feedback and a soft start.
http://www.siliconchip.com.au/Issue/2018/March?res=nonflash

I'm just wondering if this would be any good for motor speed control or does the zero cross, TCP4, 10k potentiometer and crydom D2425-10 do the same thing. I'm guessing the unit would cost about $60 to build.

greencardigan
I'm sure it would work. But the TC4 or similar system will give you much more than just blower control. Automated heater control and data logging.

My old roaster uses a diy triac dimmer based on the circuit in the link below. It has worked perfectly fine controlling a small universal motor. My broth er still uses it regularly controlling a 900W vacuum blower.

http://www.epanor...ml#1kw230v

sethyrish
OK, I'll stick with the TC4 then. I'm just unfamiliar with the system, (manual overrides etc) and can picture a volcano spewing out flaming beans!
The article did mention the dimmer circuit.

sethyrish
I purchased a 750 watt vacuum motor thinking I could probably do with a bit more power than a 600 watt. I wasn't expecting such a size difference though....this thing is huge! I think it's probably too large to mount in the water filter housing.
If I was to try reflowing some hot air; what temperature do you think these vacuum motors could handle?
i.imgur.com/1HRe9pS.jpg
i.imgur.com/5p169Jk.jpg
Edited by sethyrish on 03-07-2018 18:31

jooi123
How's the build coming along? I've got my roaster set up with one of the makita hand held blowers with a 2000W (at least thats what ebay told me) heating element since I may have blew up my previous heat gun element atm. For some reason I'm only about to get 200-250g green beans roasted without having to lower the blower too much to a point where the beans dont circulate as well, i'm thinking its probably my cocktail shaker head not having large enough holes so i might have to change that arrangement.

I'm thinking about getting one of those BigW blowers too and hopefully that helps with circulation a bit more.

Jump to Forum: