bullet2.gif Slap count: 0
bullet2.gif Last checked ID: 6495
View Thread
Homeroasters.org » THE ART OF ROASTING COFFEE » Roasting Profiles
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Behmor 1600 + This method works for me
TXRoaster
I have been roasting for about one year now and I’ve come up with a method that gets me consistently good roasts. Keep in mind that every Behmor roaster has its unique “personality.” The heat, [A] and [B] temperatures will vary slightly from one machine to another. So if you use this method, you will have to tweak it for your particular machine.

Green bean charge: 450 grams
I use the 1 pound setting on the roaster and I use manual mode
I divide the roast into these phases

I. Drying phase. 18 to 11 minutes
II. Early roast afterburner phase 11 to 7:30 minutes
III. Mid roast phase 7:30 to 4:30
IV. Late roast phase 4:30 to 1st crack
V. “Rosetta stone phase” 1st crack to desired end

Whether these phases are correctly labeled is not the point. The point is to break the Roast up into distinct segments.

My goal is to have a smooth, sweeter roast but yet have complexity.

So here’s what I do.

1. Preheat the roaster. With the drum and chaff tray out, preheat the roaster until [B] = 160

2. Load the roaster. Press 1 lbs. Press start then P5 to start manual mode. Drum speed high.

3. I. Drying Phase. 18:00 to 11:00. [B] Temperature range 270, 275, 280. The [B] will slowly rise. When [B] hits 275 press p4. If [B] hits 280 press p3. Once [B] drops to 275 press p4. If [B] drops to 270 press p5. If [B] hits 280 press p3 etc.

4. II. Early roast afterburner phase 11:00 to 7:30. Your range here is 280, 285, 290. If [B] temp is at or below 280 press p5. If [B] crosses 285 press p4. If [B] is at or above 290 press p3. The afterburner kicks in at 10:30 and you will see a drop in [B].

5. III. Mid roast phase. 7:30 to 4:30. Your range is 290, 295, 300. Again if [B] is below or at 290 press p5. If it crosses 295 press p4. If at or above 300 press p3. Remember to press start at 4:30 to disable the safety auto shutdown “err 7”.

6. IV. Late roast phase. 4:30 to 1st crack. Your range is 300, 305, 310. If [B] is at or below 300 press p5. If it crosses 305 press p4. If at or greater than 310 press p3. Once 1st crack starts press [C] to enter Rosetta Stone time and lower the drum speed.

7. V. Rosetta Stone time. Use the same temp range 300, 305, 310. Once 1st crack ends drop those ranges to 295, 300, 305 to stretch the time to 2nd crack. End the roast anytime to your desired roast level.

8. VI. Cooling. At 11:30 left on the cooling timer I open the door and blow a fan into the roaster to cool down and avoid baking the beans. I realize putting a fan on will create a chaff storm so you need to be someplace where the chaff can go all over the place and not be too much of a bother.

I know this way of roasting sounds very involved but I’ve been able to get consistently good roasts regardless of the outside temperatures.

If you try this, let me know your results. Also let me know if there are any modifications or changes that might produce a better roast.

renatoa
Isn't 18 minutes a bit too much ... ?
Did any cupping to compare, preferable same beans roasted on other machine ?

TXRoaster
When you press one for 1 pound roast on the Behmor it defaults to an 18:00 timer. I never roast the entire 18 minutes. I usually reach 1st crack with about 3 to 4 minutes left on the timer. I do not have any experience on any other type of roaster so I can’t compare my roasts to other machines. On the Behmor, I have tried all of the automatic profiles. I have experimented with various manual profiles and drum speeds.

My goal is to prolong the drying phase by using a lower temp range at the beginning. This to me “smooths or sweetens” the roast. The higher drum speed kept the roast from getting flat. Then higher temps as the roast progresses. Lowering the drum speed at 1st crack kept the roast from getting too bright. A slight lowering of the temp range at the end of 1st crack helped stretch the roast from 1st crack to 2nd crack if I wanted to go that far.

renatoa
Is not about other machines, but what is considered ideal roast timing due to chemistry.

Usually, the process longer than 15 minutes, i.e. FC at 12 min and 3 min development, is considered prone to backing, because is difficult to maintain so even and slow temperature increase for so long time.

Drying phase as is ATM, 7 minutes is already at the limits, it is recommended to not exceed 40% of total. 40% of 15 minutes is 6 minutes.

A graph of such maximal roast is attached.
renatoa attached the following image:
roast15mins.jpg

Edited by renatoa on 01-30-2018 20:17

TXRoaster
Thank you so much for your information. Again, I’m kind a new at this and with the Behmor you don’t have the ability to do detailed analysis like you do with the higher level roasters and the artisan software. You can’t even measure bean temperature only the chamber wall [B] and the exhaust [A] temps. This was all strictly trial and error and using what information I could find on roasting. I will take your information, go back and tweak my profiles and see if I can make a better roast. Thank you again.

allenb
renatoa wrote:

Usually, the process longer than 15 minutes, i.e. FC at 12 min and 3 min development, is considered prone to backing, because is difficult to maintain so even and slow temperature increase for so long time.

Drying phase as is ATM, 7 minutes is already at the limits, it is recommended to not exceed 40% of total. 40% of 15 minutes is 6 minutes.

I've been able to experiment with various radiant designs over the years with a home built PID controlled 1 lb drum with BT sensor and a Behmor. I've also studied the thermodynamics of heat transfer of IR energy to coffee going from green to brown stages.

The bean temperature rate of rise during the first 3 minutes in an IR roaster with a fixed output during the the drying phase, due to a very nonlinear heat absorption rate between light green color and tan-brown, will be very small compared to the rate of rise in a conventional drum or fluidbed roaster or even another IR roaster capable of higher power levels at the start of the roast. With that said, 7 minutes of drying phase time in a Behmor cannot be compared with 7 minutes in a conventional roaster. The first three minutes are just warming up the beans with very little drying action taking place.

Getting an IR based coffee roaster without a continuously variable, manually controllable power output to produce great coffee on a consistent basis is very complicated and cannot follow the same rules as applies to conventional roasters.

Allen
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

Jump to Forum: