Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

Gigimedrano
04/17/2019 6:33 AM
Hi guys, my hot top has stripper a gear.. ive only had it for a lil over a year now hot top wants 120+ for a new motor and gearbox assembly any idea? Is this normal year and some Months dont seem lik

Ray Kahuna
04/16/2019 8:04 AM
has anyone built an adjustable coffee grind press?

Nitesh
04/01/2019 10:04 PM
Hello, I have been trying to get in contact with manufacturer of HB roaster in China but failed until now. Does anyone have idea who is the manufacturer of HB roaster in China?

allenb
03/30/2019 3:46 AM
Spammer babble from me and others have been removed from Centrifugal Roasters Thread. From here on we will toss them immediately. ThumbsUp

jpworks
03/27/2019 11:15 PM
What’s the preferred way to upload pics from iPhone?

Users Online
Guests Online: 3

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 5,915
Newest Member: ignabel
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
renatoa - 2.00
JitterzZ - 50.00
PRABHATH COFFEE WORKS - 10.00
John Despres (Scene... - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Proportional Solenoid or Needle valve?
allenb
For those who prefer dealing with electronics versus plumbing in a needle valve and want to manually control the gas pressure to your burner, there's an option for you if you haven't already thought of it.

Build or buy a 3 terminal adjustable DC supply to control a 0-10 volt proportional solenoid (Kelly, Clippard, Humphrey)

https://www.amazo...B019YXLWZA

Mount the dc supply with the pot mounted to the front of your roaster and a good pressure gauge nearby and you're set to go. You'll still want to choose the orifice size correctly for your proportional solenoid so you have smooth control while varying the 0-10 volts. The smallest available will suit most builds up to 5 lb batches (.009" to .025") I wouldn't go over .025" unless you'll be using a BBQ style regulator with low pressure output. If you use one of those, you'll need to do a BTU calculation to make sure you choose the best orifice size.
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

CoffeeInterest
Allen,

Would something like this work with the adjustable DC supply you linked?

https://www.ebay....:rk:1:pf:0

BobbyS
Not trying to butt in, and I hope I am not, but I looked at your link and noticed this:

in the info on the page for that it says "not For Flammable Liquids or Gas. It is not explosion proof.

I see there is conflicting information on that page. Might need to contact the seller and see if they have one for what gas you are going to use.

SPECIFICATIONS:
• 110V AC
• Working Pressure: 0-100PSI (7Bar)
• Normally Closed (Opens when powered)
• Semi-Direct lift valve. Suitable for gravity feed.
• Temperature Range: 23F to 176F
• Orifice: 16mm
• Length: 2-3/8"
• Width: 2"
• Height: 4"
• 1/2"NPT Both Ends

WARNING: Not for use with flammable gas or liquid. This valve is NOT explosion proof.
Edited by BobbyS on 11/26/2018 5:32 AM

CoffeeInterest
Good catch on this BobbyS.

I'll dig around on the site and see if I can find a specific valve from one of the brands mentioned in the OG post.

allenb
The solenoid you linked to is not a proportional solenoid that can modulate but is a simple on/off solenoid.

The proportional valves we've found that can be purchased fairly easily are made by Kelly and Clippard.
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

Jump to Forum: