Ozo - 20.00
Josh Woodrow - 10.00
John Wattleworth - 20.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Magnetic Induction Shield
coffeeroastersclub
Does anyone here work with magnetic induction heating? My issue is that I am going to start experimenting with such but curious of what type of shield is used around the magnetic induction coil soas to prevent other metal components from heating up.

Len
"If this is coffee, please bring me some tea but if this is tea, please bring me some coffee." ~Abraham Lincoln

http://www.coffeeroastersclub.com
renatoa
If you look at a induction stove heating coil anatomy, there are some such "dissections" on the internet, you will find such shield is not used.
The explanation is simple, magnetic field can't be shielded without absorbing it, thus producing heat.
Place an alu plate on a induction stove, no heat, or very low, because magnetic field encounters no resistance and penetrate Alu without effort. Place an induction pan on top of alu plate, and you have heat, induction wasn't been shielded by the Alu.
Please, don't do this experiment with Alu foil :)

If you intend to build a Ailio Bullet type roaster, I recommend you to study its build. For effective build I would get a spare/replacement domestic induction stove coil, which is flat, would extract from the plastic mount and bend to become curve on the drum shape, then find a mounting system to place it as close to the drum without touching it, the closer the better, and I mean 1 mm distance if possible...
Something like this:

https://www.aliba...f3c4qTXQlL

ADMIN: Please try to make your links "clickable" with the url function.
Edited by JackH on 01-08-2018 07:02

coffeeroastersclub
My idea is in no way related to ailio. In fact my idea predates their setup by around 5 years. Also I would not use the under drum coil setup. I intend to do a wraparound conventional coil setup.
"If this is coffee, please bring me some tea but if this is tea, please bring me some coffee." ~Abraham Lincoln

http://www.coffeeroastersclub.com
renatoa
For induction coil placement has no importance, the heat is produced on the drum surface, is not radiated by a heater. But you probably know this.
Wraparound is good to have an even temperature over the whole drum surface.
But you should consider the fact that beans will pile in a cylinder segment of about 120-150 degrees opening, somewhere between 10 to 5 hours, if drum rotates CW, as seen from the front plate. So heat should be concentrated in that area, imo.

Jump to Forum: