Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

snwcmpr
10/18/2019 2:37 PM
Eth Nat Yirg Idido roasted yesterday. I dropped some off at a friends coffee shop. In a few days he will brew it and tell me what he thinks. We already believe my roasts are better than what we have b

snwcmpr
10/16/2019 2:52 PM
Thank you for all you guys do.

JackH
10/15/2019 2:02 AM
They seem to be after the shoutbox. They have been removed. I don't see anything in the forums.

snwcmpr
10/14/2019 3:27 PM
We have been hacked. A whole lot of posts that have filled up the whole forum.

snwcmpr
10/10/2019 4:49 AM
Honduras Royal Reserve today.

Users Online
Guests Online: 5

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 6,193
Newest Member: wclark5179
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
renatoa - 2.00
allenb - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00
Groveland Hill Roas... - 25.00
renatoa - 2.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Question on 50 amp 120 volt circuits
coffeeroastersclub
Hello. I am thinking about designing an infrared roaster that will need a 50 amp 120 volt circuit. I refrain from 220 volt as I have no experience in wiring such and frankly it is over my comfort level. Does anyone here have any experience in the plug end I would need? Outlet required? Any other particulars that I should be aware of?

Thanks,
Len
"If this is coffee, please bring me some tea but if this is tea, please bring me some coffee." ~Abraham Lincoln

http://www.coffeeroastersclub.com
renatoa
How many tons are you intending to roast if planing to use 6kW ? BBQ grill
IR, if directly on beans, is the most economical roast method I know... I am using 900W to bring 600 grams into FC in 10 minutes.
DIY: TO based IR to bean 750g
Moded commercial: Dieckmann RoestMeister, Nesco, popcorn.
TC4ESP, PID controllers, MS6514 USB/Artisan/Apps
Grinder: MBK Feldgrind, mod'ed Porlex to 47 conical burrs, vintage PeDe Dienes

koffeegrounds
50 AMP , 120 V ? unless this is wired straight to the panel , you do not have any wire in your walls capable of handling this load . 220V is the only way your getting this load.

renatoa
Even in EU, the standard house is wired for 16 Amps at 230V.
For more than 17A = 4kW, you should apply for 380V triphasic circuit.

coffeeroastersclub
renatoa wrote:

IR, if directly on beans, is the most economical roast method I know... I am using 900W to bring 600 grams into FC in 10 minutes.

Capacity would be 20 lb. green. How many watts do you think then to roast?

Len
"If this is coffee, please bring me some tea but if this is tea, please bring me some coffee." ~Abraham Lincoln

coffeeroastersclub
koffeegrounds wrote:

50 AMP , 120 V ? unless this is wired straight to the panel , you do not have any wire in your walls capable of handling this load . 220V is the only way your getting this load.

It would be wired straight to panel dedicated circuit.
Len

renatoa
"Recreational vehicles having a power- supply assembly rated 50 amperes as permitted by Section 18-27-551.42(d) shall have a 3-pole, 4-wire, grounding-type attachment plug rated 50 amperes, 125/250 volts, conforming to the configuration shown in Figure 18-27-551.46(c)."

chicagocode.org/downloads/2015-11-18/images/0-0-0-347.jpg

https://chicagoco...27-551.46/

And you need about AWG8 wiring.

allenb
coffeeroastersclub wrote:

renatoa wrote:

Len

Hi Len,

Sounds like an interesting project. I've not heard of many infrared to bean projects over around 5 lb capacity.

As mentioned by renatoa, direct to bean IR is very efficient and I'm guessing it follows the typical economy of scale in needing less KW/lb as you move up in batch size.
In looking over the Digirosto pro 2500 specs which is a halogen lamp based all-IR design, they're utilizing 6.4 KW for 5 lb batch so I would guess you would be safe in planning on 15 to 20 KW

http://www.buykor...75652.html

Allen
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

renatoa
coffeeroastersclub wrote:

Len

I would look for gas.

Jump to Forum: