bullet2.gif Members Online: 0

bullet2.gif Total Members: 5,162
bullet2.gif Newest Member: fabriciod
BotSlap Panel
bullet2.gif Last check: 12.18.17
bullet2.gif Slap count: 0
bullet2.gif Last checked ID: 6375
View Thread
Homeroasters.org » DATALOGGERS - CONTROLLERS - RATE OF RISE METERS » Dataloggers/Controllers/Rate of Rise Meters
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
K type Screw-in Thermocouples
Josh025
I have a mastech ms6514 that uses the very small BB sized thermocouples. I was wondering if I could use a larger screw in probe with terminal ends? I thought that it may be possible to mate this probe with this thermocouple adapter since it's the same kind that came with my unit. Has anyone else done this?

https://www.amazo...uple+screw

https://www.amazo...le+adapter
Edited by JackH on 11-20-2017 10:52

renatoa
Should work, but you can also diy a custom thermocouple sheath for your actual probes, from 3-4mm brass tube, this is how I did for my Mastech.

Josh025
Interesting! I felt like a larger probe would allow more contact with the beans. I was beginning to suspect that the small BB sized probe was contacting the air around the beans moreso than the bean surfaces over my sampling rate of 5 seconds.

renatoa
The probe from your link is 44 mm the sheath tube diameter and 6mm the screw thread.

A larger sheath also act as a low pass filter, due to thermal inertia.
The 6mm tube probes are noticeable slower, several seconds lag between a thermal contact change and a measurement following on display.

eschlukebir
I can't speak to accuracy, compared to the TC that come with the mastech, but I picked up a couple of these with similar adapters, and they work fine in the mastech

https://www.amazo...&psc=1

Josh025
renatoa wrote:

The probe from your link is 44 mm the sheath tube diameter and 6mm the screw thread.

A larger sheath also act as a low pass filter, due to thermal inertia.
The 6mm tube probes are noticeable slower, several seconds lag between a thermal contact change and a measurement following on display.

Would an m6 or m4 probe size be better with less lag then?

Josh025
eschlukebir wrote:

I can't speak to accuracy, compared to the TC that come with the mastech, but I picked up a couple of these with similar adapters, and they work fine in the mastech

https://www.amazo...&psc=1

I actually need one that is stubby so it'll be embedded in the rotating beans in the flour sifter, but not get hit by the agitation arms

renatoa
The agitation arms should not touch the walls though, at least 1 cm of clearance is needed for better dynamics of fluid beans mass, so either 4 or 6mm should fit there.

You can get the Amazon thermocouple from the first post just for the cheap price, and use the screw mount / sheath for the Mastech sensor, is not difficult to loose the tube to release the mesh and remove the metalic cable with original TC, then insert yours.

Jump to Forum: