bullet2.gif Last checked ID: 6194
View Thread
Homeroasters.org » ALL ABOUT ROASTERS » Gene Cafe Roaster
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
First roast ever. Cooling?
Sidman1189
Hello All,

Excited for my GC to arrive this week, and to get started on my first roast. I ordered from Sweet Maria's. The order includes an 8lb sampler, and I added a few more green beans that caught my eye. A few questions from a new guy:

1. Is there a coffee with an extremely simple profile I should attempt first?

2. I understand that the cool down for the GC can be challenging. Do I try to coast, or is there a hack for a super quick cool down?

3. Can I roast under the vent on my stove, or do I need to go outside? I don't see myself adding venting to outside the house.

Thanks in advance for your help!

My Best,
David

Koffee Kosmo
Hi David

To answer your questions
1) Any roast profile is only achievable on the equipment used
What roast method are you using

2) A quick cool down is preferred as the beans keep roasting off the heat
Use a fan and direct the air flow on beans while stirring

3) Roasting beans is very smoky
Your partner / family won’t like the aroma either
Go outside to roast

KK
My web site > koffeekosmo.com.au I home roast and I like it :P
Blog - http://koffeekosm...gspot.com/
Bezzera Strega: BNZ MD74 Grinder: 5 Box hand grinders: Pullman Tamper Convex: (KKTO) Turbo Oven Home Roaster: CONA Glass Rod Syphon: Pyrex Brewer:

koffeekosmo.com.au
Sidman1189
Thanks KK,

I will be using a GC...Gene Cafe.

renatoa
The recipe is simple, as stated in an article by the coffee guru Jim Schulman.
Valid for any hot air machine, not only Gene, and temperatures are for air, not beans !
- preheat at 175 C
- load and keep at 175C for 3-4 minutes (165-200C depending on coffee varietal, you will read more later)
- ramp for other 3-4 minutes to 245C
- keep there until hearing first cracks
- reduce heat down to 225-238C and keep there 1-2 minutes or until cracks cease.

The exact values in the last phase are hard to say exactly, depends on the coffee varietal and degree of roast you desire, this phase is what made you a pro, in time ;)

You can read more here:
https://forum.homeroasters.org/forum/viewthread.php?thread_id=5300

The cooling feature of Gene is not so great, so indeed is better to cool outside, using two colanders to winnow the beans.
The stovetop vent is enough during the roasting process, but the beans canister opening would be advisable to happen outside, if you can move fast enough. Beware, it IS HOT !

Sidman1189
Thanks Renatoa,

I am not sure this applies to a gene cafe. Have you used this roaster? The problem I anticipate is with preheating to 175. From the videos I have seen, the beans are added, and are in the machine rotating while the air heats up from room temperature. Is there a way around this, or is it a non-issue?

renatoa
Yes, not sure what videos you have seen, but every seasoned Gene roaster will tell you the mantra: preheat, preheat, preheat.
Manufacturers could not tell you this, for obvious security reasons, handling the hot glass canister is not a child's play, and they want to be safe in a sue happy society...
But starting from ambient temperature is not good for beans, definitely !

Sidman1189
Thanks R,

So if I understand correctly, I will start the machine "empty", then interrupt when it reached the pre-heated temp and add beans, then restart and follow the roast profile. Obviously I will use an oven mitt. Thanks

allenb
renatoa wrote:

The recipe is simple, as stated in an article by the coffee guru Jim Schulman.
Valid for any hot air machine, not only Gene, and temperatures are for air, not beans !
-

Jim was aiming this at fluidbed roasters where regardless of charge weight, there would be some consistency in airflow/bean mass with a somewhat consistent heat transfer rate at a given air stream temperature. A Gene does not play by the same rules as a fluidbed since the air flow isn't required to loft the beans into a spouting bed and therefore will require different input air temperatures to achieve a given rate of rise. While it's possible that the ET's Jim stated might produce the rate of rise needed to produce a proper profile in a Gene, it's highly doubtful.

Allen
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

renatoa
There is no hint pointing to fluid bed in his post, conversely, it's about all roasters getting heat from environmental temperature.

"Talking about this more abstractly, the beans don't get their heat from the flame or electric element, they get their heat from the air and hot surfaces surrounding the beans -- the environmental temperature (ET).

If there is one thing that somewhat works for all roasters, it's that a good roast requires that the ET follow a certain profile, and stay within certain limits, so the beans don't under dry, over dry, bake, scorch or tip."

The above does not apply from example to direct IR to bean roasters, which I experiment for some months, and the roast approach is significantly different. ET is dramatical low, following BT at a very small difference, under 20 degrees.
DIY: IR to bean, Popcorn
Moded commercial: Dieckmann RoestMeister, Nesco
PID/ramp/soak controllers
Grinder: mod'ed Porlex to 47 conical burrs

Sidman1189
Thanks for all the help. Just completed my first roast. I had quite a few different pieces of advice, so I winged it as follows.

Coffee:
Timor Leste organic Ermera Letefoho

I have no idea what this is, it came in a sample pack from sweet Maria. Felt it would be a good place to start. They recommend city+ to FC plus. The description says this coffee reminds them of a wet processed Central American coffee, so maybe this means it was dry processed? I weighed out 200 grams.

I roasted on my deck, and ran a preheat on the gene cafe to 340 degrees. This occurred very quickly. I stopped the machine, pulled out the canister and added my beans. Set the temp for 350.
I ran this for 5 minutes, and it took that long to reach the 350 mark. Cranked it up to 475 from there. It seemed to reach 475 at the 12 minute mark. I did not hear first crack, but the beans were dark, and chaff was collecting. I started to hear pops from there. Second crack I assume? I let it run for one more minute, then chickened out and stopped the machine. I struggled to remove the canister, then open it. It was probably 2 minutes before I managed to get the beans in the colander and started shaking. After they cooled, I went thru the batch and removed the remaining chaff. I placed the clean beans in an open mason jar to sit for 12-24 hours. The beans look a pretty dark brown, with no spots , shine, or oil patches. I assume this is city plus? I will grind and brew tomorrow. Do you recommend I use my technivorm drip machine or French press to get the most feedback?

Thanks in advance for any comments or suggestions

renatoa
How is the color in the bean split ? white, light brown, same as the bean ?
A picture would have been helpful.

What grinder do you have ?

Sidman1189
s1.postimg.org/57wr21mxbz/image.jpg

The crack looks off white to tan in color. I just ordered a baratza virtuoso to replace my kitchen aide. Should arrive today!
Edited by JackH on 10/05/2017 13:05

allenb
renatoa wrote:

There is no hint pointing to fluid bed in his post, conversely, it's about all roasters getting heat from environmental temperature.

"Talking about this more abstractly, the beans don't get their heat from the flame or electric element, they get their heat from the air and hot surfaces surrounding the beans -- the environmental temperature (ET).

If there is one thing that somewhat works for all roasters, it's that a good roast requires that the ET follow a certain profile, and stay within certain limits, so the beans don't under dry, over dry, bake, scorch or tip."

The above does not apply from example to direct IR to bean roasters, which I experiment for some months, and the roast approach is significantly different. ET is dramatical low, following BT at a very small difference, under 20 degrees.

There are three sources of heat transfer: convection, conduction and Infra red. The only heat source that ET surrounding the beans has any real correlation is convection. For the convection temperature profile Jim was stating "works for all roasters" it is necessary that convection be the only primary source of heat which limits this to fluidbed roasters where beans are lofted by the air stream. A roaster that does not require an air flow velocity and cfm capable of elevating the beans into a spouting bed might utilize a small enough cfm to require an ET of up to 50 to 100 degrees higher in temperature to allow meeting an optimum rate of rise.
A Gene Cafe, with it's non spouting bed design utilizes an ET that is unique to itself based solely on it's requirement for maintaining an optimum rate of rise for a bed of beans rolling leisurely in a slowly tumbling drum. Required ET temperatures in a Gene will necessarily be different than requirements in a classic fluid bed roaster.

One thing is certain in coffee roasting. There are no neat "one size fits all" formulas.

Allen
Edited by allenb on 10/05/2017 18:10
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

Sidman1189
So I tried out the coffee this morning via French press. The coffee was okay, not spectacular. It reminded me of lighter roasts I have tried in cafes. Lighter roasts are not my favorite. I will try the beans again with a darker roast and see how I make out

renatoa
For darker roasts is advisable to reduce load, Gene is not capable to reach SC loaded with full capacity of 300 grams, in a reasonable 15 minutes time.
I would try some in the 200-225 ballpark.

Jump to Forum: