bullet2.gif Slap count: 0
bullet2.gif Last checked ID: 6256
View Thread
Homeroasters.org » BUILDING A ROASTER » Bread Machine Roasters
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Bread Maker - 1.5 lb
greencardigan
A new roaster is in the making with the purpose of increasing roast batch capacity.

My current air roaster can do around 250g roasted. My old larger air roaster could easily do 500g but it's been handed off to my bro. It also required 4500 Watt supply which I don't currently have.

So, I have picked up an old bread maker and a 2000W heat gun. I've had some success roasting with a bread maker in the past so thought I'd try it again.

I've modded the bread maker electronics and added a power switch for the motor. I'll also be modding the heat gun to separate the heater and fan. I plan to connect the fan to a separate DC power supply and the heater element to my TC4 controller.

The bread maker's tin is 16.5cm tall. My desired batch size is 680g (1.5lb) which is about 5.5cm deep leaving 11cm height for expansion and mixing. Hopefully that works.

Not sure yet if I'll run it with or without a lid during roasting. Depends how much mess the chaff makes maybe.

beanflying
From memory it was the Breville 'big loaf' and when used with a lid of sorts some were getting a kg. I would wonder about the roast quality when pushed to that with only a heatgun for power?

There is some numbers here for drum roaster volumes to bean weights that might help as a guide. Memories of them being 4 or 5:1?
My name is Tim and I have a coffee equipment addiction problem :)

Two Hottops - modded
TJ 067 Electric 1kg 5+years old
Insert new 5-8kg Roaster here urgently BBQ grill

greencardigan
Yes, my old bread maker roaster was a Breville Big Loaf. I think I did up to 750 grams in it. I've been looking for for another one of them but they're not real common.

greencardigan
I've modded the heat gun to separate the fan from the heater.

I'll use a variable voltage laptop power supply to power the fan. The fan power supply is also connected to a relay which is switching the heater. The heater can only run when the fan is getting power.

Just got to 3D print a bracket to hold the heat gun on the bread maker and I'll be essentially ready to roast. Not much involved in making a bread maker roaster really.

It definitely wont be a pretty roaster but should be functional.
greencardigan attached the following images:
img_20170925_184046.jpg img_20170925_202651.jpg

greencardigan
My First roast was a bit of a failure. I hit first crack with too much momentum and ended up with some scorched beans with some tipping and an uneven roast. This was with a 500g green bean load.

After the initial roast I made a few changes.

- I've connected the bread maker's element back up and will use it to supplement the hot air gun with the aim to reduce the required air temp from the heat gun.

- Added a baffle under the heat gun entrance to spread the hot air and deflect it against the side of the pan. See photo.

- Preheated the bread maker prior to adding beans.

The second roast was much improved and I was following my profile nicely until a minute or so after first crack when the drive belt between the motor and paddle came off! The beans are lighter than my usual roasts but should be usable. On the upside, they seem much more evenly roasted than the first roast with no scorched beans.
greencardigan attached the following image:
img_20171010_183738.jpg

greencardigan
I'm still struggling with burnt beans in this roaster. I think my loads of 630 grams green is exceeding the maximum batch size limit.

The bread machine's mixing paddle is not mixing the top of the bean mass enough. It spins the beans around well but is not circulating them top to bottom.

Has anyone done any paddle modifications to a bread machine? I'm planning to add a sloping extension on top of the original paddle to lift bean up from below.

renatoa
Probably you read my point of view on HB, and any TO veteran should tell you the same: agitation is much more than the paddle of a BM, sorry to disappoint the fans of this method.

And now the constructive part :) what you can do... these are the three approaches I can think atm:
- study the shape of KKTO and reasoning why he arrived to that shape; but be aware that a BM shat rotates three times faster than KKTO machine shaft ! 180 vs 70 RPM
- or, consider replacing the paddle with a DIY auger/Archimede screw, a la Nesco, that will create a continuous beans vortex from the bottom to surface.
Maybe you can find such agitator ready made for some dough kneading machine ;)
A short search and look what I found !
https://www.ebay....2448626591
- or, search a bit about a guy who did a TO machine turning with 240 RPM, his speed is much closer to a BM than KKTO machine. Check what agitator is he using.
DIY: IR to bean, Popcorn
Moded commercial: Dieckmann RoestMeister, Nesco
PID/ramp/soak controllers, MS6514 USB/Artisan/App
Grinder: mod'ed Porlex to 47 conical burrs

greencardigan
Thanks for the suggestions. I agree that BM mixing is largely dependent on the bean load. Too many beans = poor mixing with stock paddle.

I have been thinking about the auger option and may try to fabricate something as a test. Initially I might try just adding an extended sloping paddle to help circulate and lift the beans.

But, I am seriously considering scrapping the BM and building another 3/4 kg (1.5 pound) electric air roaster. Many advantages but a few disadvantages. More controllable, better mixing, easy cooling, lees chaff mess with chaff collector, no need handle hot parts with gloves. Downsides are less efficient (will need approx 3.5 - 4 KW of heating) and more expensive.

Will2
greencardigan wrote:

... I am seriously considering scrapping the BM and building another 3/4 kg (1.5 pound) electric air roaster. Many advantages but a few disadvantages. More controllable, better mixing, easy cooling, lees chaff mess with chaff collector, no need handle hot parts with gloves. Downsides are less efficient (will need approx 3.5 - 4 KW of heating) and more expensive.

You probably write exactly about this:

up.picr.de/28123497fo.jpg

If the shipping costs were not so high, I would have sent it to you.
And if you have a weak electricity supply then I have a friend of an electrician in Woollahra.
Viliam

greencardigan
That looks fantastic!

Here's my lame version.

And yes, I would have to get a 15A 240V circuit installed sometime.

forum.homeroasters.org/forum/attachments/capture111.jpg
greencardigan attached the following image:
capture111.jpg

allenb
That looks fantastic!

I agree, this is one sweet looking build!
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

renatoa
Or a TO based IR variation, can roast 750 grams with only (well radiated) 1400W ;)
But seems you are too deep buried now into the fluid side of the crack to change your mind :)
DIY: IR to bean, Popcorn
Moded commercial: Dieckmann RoestMeister, Nesco
PID/ramp/soak controllers, MS6514 USB/Artisan/App
Grinder: mod'ed Porlex to 47 conical burrs

Will2
I apologize for OT,
if necessary, we can continue with fluidbed roasters here:

https://forum.hom...post_64259
Viliam

Jump to Forum: