bullet2.gif Last checked ID: 6194
View Thread
Homeroasters.org » BUILDING A ROASTER » Fluidbed Roaster
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Vacuum appropriate for suction based FBR
Linnaeus
Hi all,

I'm curious if there are any design guidelines for a suction based FBR appropriate for up to 1lb of coffee.

Specifically, I'm having trouble sourcing a small vaccum which might comply with the temperature requirements - or understanding how much the air should be cooled prior to hitting the vaccuum / what the most appropriate method is for cooling the air.

My goal is to find a very compact and quiet motor - not really looking for over-kill.

Best,
Rob
Edited by Linnaeus on 09/15/2017 13:40

ChicagoJohn
Linnaeus wrote:

Hi all,

I'm curious if there are any design guidelines for a suction based FBR appropriate for up to 1lb of coffee.

Specifically, I'm having trouble sourcing a small vaccum which might comply with the temperature requirements - or understanding how much the air should be cooled prior to hitting the vaccuum / what the most appropriate method is for cooling the air.

My goal is to find a very compact and quiet motor - not really looking for over-kill.

Best,
Rob

I'm curious as to your rationale for wanting to pull through the roast rather than push it. To me it seems that cooling is only part of the problem with this approach; you would also have to handle the chaff and the volatile organic compounds that come off, most of which will condense when they are cooled down, quickly gumming up the works of a vacuum system.

I would think that pushing the air through rather than pulling it simplifies things considerably. What do see as the advantages of that approach?
So many beans; so little time....

Linnaeus
Honestly, I have a pretty poor rationale.

I have a 1,680W heat gun - it works well for the dog-bowl method, but I wanted to try some other approaches as well. I am building a rig using a flour sifter and refractory cement (to build a quazi air tight base where the heat gun will be inserted) , but was curious to try a fluid bed using a pyrex tube that I have on hand. Without sacrificing the heat-gun or buying more parts (for more money) - I was curious if I could pull the air through the Heat Gun + Roast chamber.

After thinking about this seriously - it probably isn't worth the time and resource commitment to come up with a hacked fluid bed.

Thank you for responding though.

Best,
Rob

ChicagoJohn
Linnaeus wrote:

I have a 1,680W heat gun - it works well for the dog-bowl method, but I wanted to try some other approaches as well. I am building a rig using a flour sifter and refractory cement (to build a quazi air tight base where the heat gun will be inserted) , but was curious to try a fluid bed using a pyrex tube that I have on hand. Without sacrificing the heat-gun or buying more parts (for more money) - I was curious if I could pull the air through the Heat Gun + Roast chamber.

After thinking about this seriously - it probably isn't worth the time and resource commitment to come up with a hacked fluid bed.

Best,
Rob

Maybe someone else on here has done this and can give you some advice. It just seems to me to be somewhat more straight forward to push heated air up through the bean mass lifting them in the process. I picked up a used vacuum at Goodwill for about $4 and used that and the heating assembly from a hot air popcorn popper and I can do 340 gm with that now.

Just keep thinking about it, and I'm sure you'll come up with a path that you can make work. There are so many different approaches that work well, many of them detailed on these forums.

Good luck, and post your ideas, successes, and failures since they'll be of help to others.
So many beans; so little time....

coffeeroastersclub
Linnaeus wrote:

Best,
Rob

Rob, here on HR I have an extensive thread with videos of an electric fluid bed roaster that uses a vacuum to pull air through elements and through the bean bed. Maybe you can get some ideas from it:

https://forum.hom...post_55509

Len
"If this is coffee, please bring me some tea but if this is tea, please bring me some coffee." ~Abraham Lincoln

http://www.coffeeroastersclub.com
oldgearhead
I've used my two-stage, flow-through, 5.5" vac blower to pull 500 grams through a Bake-A-Round for center sprout roasting. However, I found cooling in the roast chamber to be very tricky, so I didn't use it
No oil on my beans...

Linnaeus
Thank you for the responses - Reading your thread, Len.

Seems that this approach is a little more challenging as you also have to manage vacuum pressure / leaks and intake air temperature.
Edited by Linnaeus on 09/19/2017 08:59

coffeeroastersclub
The most challenging part for my project was mostly centered on preventing the heating coils from always burning out. Also I spent some time on configuring a way to to lower exhaust temp before it hits the vacuum to prevent it from overheating (which it never has yet). You will find that the way I configured the roast chamber is a bit unique.

If you go through the thread you will see a video I made (a long video) of the entire process of building from the beginning to end result. Not a piece by piece thing, but I believe a well enough explained process.

Len
"If this is coffee, please bring me some tea but if this is tea, please bring me some coffee." ~Abraham Lincoln

http://www.coffeeroastersclub.com
Klint
oldgearhead wrote:

I've used my two-stage, flow-through, 5.5" vac blower to pull 500 grams through a Bake-A-Round for center sprout roasting. However, I found cooling in the roast chamber to be very tricky, so I didn't use it

Hi OGH,

do you have the CFM and static pressure of your two stage blower?

Read your build up postings, didnt see the spec.

Thanks in advance

oldgearhead
The system 'spouts' at 18 SCFM. The specs on most two-stage, five-half inch, vac/blowers is 100 Inches of water and 100 CFM (Not at the same time!) It is a Lamb 116671-50. I thought I included it in the write-up, but you should be able to get the PDF from Lamb...I don't think PDF's are allowed here in comments.
No oil on my beans...

JackH
Link to the Lamb 116671-50PDF:

http://dev.ametek...115330.pdf
---Jack

KKTO Roaster.

Klint
i63.tinypic.com/szfvo3.jpg

I am also looking at MS8 (DC) and wondering if the spec is suitable.

Jump to Forum: