bullet2.gif Members Online: 0

bullet2.gif Total Members: 5,072
bullet2.gif Newest Member: Cmartingo
BotSlap Panel
bullet2.gif Last check: 10/23/2017 00:45
bullet2.gif Slap count: 0
bullet2.gif Last checked ID: 6194
View Thread
Homeroasters.org » DATALOGGERS - CONTROLLERS - RATE OF RISE METERS » Dataloggers/Controllers/Rate of Rise Meters
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
TC4C Website Update?
jbenson4
I know Jim was on summer holidays and was supposed to resume selling boards on the 1st but his site's online store isn't back up. I sent an email last week but haven't heard anything back yet. Has anyone had contact with him recently?

JackH
I will try to contact Jim. His site email is all I have.
---Jack

KKTO Roaster.

jbenson4
Thanks Jack, I appreciate it.

beanflying
Me Too cross fingers sent him an email early this week.

I have a roaster in need :)
My name is Tim and I have a coffee equipment addiction problem :)

Two Hottops - modded
TJ 067 Electric 1kg 5+years old
Insert new 5-8kg Roaster here urgently BBQ grill

jbenson4
Looking in the HRO classifieds, I see last year someone posted the website still wasn't updated into September. Maybe Jim has extended his holiday?

JackH
I did not get a delivery error with his email. Will see what happens.
---Jack

KKTO Roaster.

sapidus3225
I spoke with Jim by phone about two weeks ago. He was waiting on board supplies, in particular the TC4C, before re-activating the website. When I called he thought things would be ready by last week. Guess not.

JackH
Thanks for the information!
---Jack

KKTO Roaster.

jbenson4
Thank you for the update, that makes a lot of sense

fg1972
Thanks guys, I was wondering the same thing after sending an email a week or so ago.
Its Espresso, not Short Black

beanflying
Hi all,

just got an email back from Jim. "The soonest TC4C Boards could be available again is mid-October."

However he is able to supply in the next week or so a TC4 shield to me. So for those with a few Arduino skills this might be the best shorter term option.

Two Hottops - modded

beanflying
TC4 and ZCD on my bench this morning. speedy delivery from the US ThumbsUp

Two Hottops - modded

jbenson4
I also received a TC4, ZCD, and LCDapter from Jim. I was to excited to wait until October for the TC4C.

JackH
The TC4 shield works well. The only difference is that you will have to buy the Arduino board and load the appropriate TC4 sketch (Roastlogger or Artisan).
---Jack

KKTO Roaster.

coffeeismagick
I am new to TC4, aduino. and soldering, but I have built more than 20 PC's for my personal use, so I won't have any problem following instructions to build this TC4 device for use with aRTISAN for the purpose of automating my DIY drum roaster made from a George Foreman JR. rotisserie oven. I would appreciate advice for the following:

1. Does the TC4 kit from JIM contain everything I need for controlling a roaster for background roasting using aRTISAN?

2. if not, what else do I need to buy?

3. does it require heavy soldering?

4. is there a thread, or a blog site, that has A TO Z instruction on how to put everything together for a newbie?

thank you so much!

John

turtle
He used to sell them 3 ways

bare board and bag of chips

SMDs soldered on and a bag of bits

fully assembled

If you are not good with a soldering iron you should at least get the SMDs on the board as they are a bit of a challenge for a beginner.

http://www.instru...-easy-way/

You'll need a audino board to mate with the TC4

This will give you "monitoring" I.E. read probes and send the info to artisan software running on a computer.

You "might" be able to go from artisan back to your george forman to control the heating element but this might take some additional "bits" like SSRs etc

There is a private group on here for folks who want to build the TC4.

You'll need to ask a mod for the keys to get in

https://forum.hom...rum_id=194

Mick - "Drinking in life one cup at a time"
"I'd rather be roasting coffee"

Roaster 1: San Franciscan SF-1
Roaster 2: Hottop B-2K+
Roaster 3: Behmor 1600 +
Grinders: Modified Super Jolly - Forte BG (x3)
Pour over: Hario - Bee House - Chemex - Kalita - Bodum
Drip: Bunn CWTF15-1 & CW15-TC (commercials)
Espresso: Pasquini Livia 90 auto
Vacuum: Cona - Bodum
Press: Frieling - Bodum Colombia

beanflying
What I just got from Jim is below. I have a Reflow soldering station but for the few $$ in cost I got the board with the SMD components installed (one SMD reset switch to add) but with a loose kit of connectors and headers. The ZCD board shown for interest.

You won't need to much skill to add these to the board. but start with the headers and the SMD reset switch has fairly big pads.

Circa $10 will get you an Arduino Uno (WiFi Wemos shown) and a case.

Download the Arduino IDE and away you go.
beanflying attached the following image:
20170916_140809.jpg

Two Hottops - modded

coffeeismagick
thank you both for your help.

another newbie question: is Fuji PID approach better or inferior to TC4C approach? and why?

beanflying
From a customizing point of view the Arduino based TC4 offers more options and flexibility IMO.

The TC4/Arduino in stock hardware form can be software tweaked for more external outputs or inputs if required.

With some hardware hacks and some additional software tweaking then WiFi operation should be achievable. Hence having a play with the Wemos above.

You have two free roasting software packages to play with as well in Roast Logger (my preferred from way back) or Artisan (which I am playing with). With the Fuji you get one.

Two Hottops - modded

coffeeismagick
Tim, thanks so much for your advice. I was looking for an option that is more newbie friendly since I had no experience with arduino, PCB soldering, assembling a bag of shields, sketches, and so on, but your answer had cleared my doubts, I know now that I would be much better off going with the more customizable TC4C + arduino route than the Fuji PID route.

Jump to Forum: