bullet2.gif Slap count: 0
bullet2.gif Last checked ID: 6253
View Thread
Homeroasters.org » BUILDING A ROASTER » Fluidbed Roaster
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Time to build another RR roaster
AA_Inferno
Hi, I am starting this thread for a roaster build. Right now I am sourcing parts so not much to say yet.

I do have a question, what kind of pipe is Rob using for the furnace section?

jkoll42
I believe he was just using mild steel.
-Jon
Honey badger 1k, Bunn LPG-2E, Technivorm, Cimbali Max Hybrid, Vibiemme Double Domo V3

AA_Inferno
Awesome, thanks jkoll42!

Update: got a vacuum cleaner today for $15 at the thrift store next to Trader Joe's. I had to go shopping anyway so it was a lucky find. Motor is 1200W I think, hopefully it works. If not it was pretty cheap so no big deal.

Also bought a new soldering iron, my old one stopped getting hot. It was cheap quality anyway. Got a whole kit on Amazon for $~20. Gotta love prime! I don't really include this as part of the roaster cost because I use a soldering iron for lots of other stuff (mostly fixing kids toys lol).

Last I got a router speed controller from Amazon. It was the same price as the one at Harbor Freight, $20, but I get free prime shipping. It looks like the exact same thing but its a different brand.

Cost so far: about $35. Now time to see if there are any local scrap bins to fish through.

Also this forum is awesome.

jkoll42
I forget the 10A loft of a vac motor but those things really have some shove. I agree the solder iron is not part of the build cost.

The RSC is likely the same Chinesium as HF just private labeled.
-Jon
Honey badger 1k, Bunn LPG-2E, Technivorm, Cimbali Max Hybrid, Vibiemme Double Domo V3

AA_Inferno
Update: Ordered a bunch of stuff online. Sievert 3941, propane tank, fittings hoses etc, regulator. The propane stuff got real expensive real fast. Many people just use stuff they have in the garage, but I didn't have anything for propane. The regulator was especially expensive at ~$80 but I don't want to go cheap with this stuff. So far only the soldering iron has arrived, but when the stuff gets here I will post a picture or two. Total cost is around ~$350 but I have most of what I need. Next up: choosing a thermometer. I think I am going to get one that logs but I have to look through the many options.

It took quite some time to figure out which fittings etc. I needed. I know what the stuff looks like but not what its called! Makes googling difficult. The HW stores around here charge an arm and a leg for everything so I ordered the stuff online.

On the plus side now I know what a type 1 propane connection is.

jkoll42
yeah, regulators burners and handles are not cheap when you are buying actual good stuff. Upside is that your rig is basically bombproof. Also as you said terminology has a learning curve and mcmaster and I got very friendly over builds. Downside to sievert is all connections are not USA friendly. Upside is they quite literally never blow out and bizarrely seem to actually be designed for one off diy coffee roasters.

Also I understand it's easy to freak out about the cost of parts but keep in mind you're over $4k for a 1 kilo sonofresco. The value of your homebuilt even priced with high end parts is amazing. Even including the soldering iron.
Edited by jkoll42 on Jun 17, 2017 02:58 PM
-Jon

AA_Inferno
I agree jkoll42.

I didn't disappear, just waiting for shipping and busy with other things. Got some photos of my stuff:

https://drive.goo...GFFTUxOMU0

https://drive.goo...k1YaVNrN2c

https://drive.goo...VpNbWFnZ0U

https://drive.goo...0ZTX2F5LU0

(I can't seem to get images to work. I have to go somewhere but Ill figure it out if I can)
Edited by allenb on Jul 07, 2017 12:31 PM

jkoll42
I always loved this stage of a build - just a pile of parts with tons of potential!

Great choice on the Sievert/Goss combo. I've run hundreds of pounds with the same setup with literally no drama.
-Jon

allenb
(I can't seem to get images to work. I have to go somewhere but Ill figure it out if I can)

Hi AA,

On the issue with posting images, you would have been fine if you were placing gif files in the [img][/img] brackets but a link to a website/file won't work for that purpose. I've edited your links to be clickable though.

Allen
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

JackH
At one time you had to place your images in a public folder and right click ---> share to get a link. I don't know if Google drive supports this anymore.

You can also directly download the images after sizing them below 268K. The Attachment ---> browse button at the bottom of the post will do this.
---Jack

KKTO Roaster.

Jump to Forum: