bullet2.gif Last checked ID: 6253
View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Which type should I make?
AA_Inferno
Hello,

I am going to build a roaster.

I am leaning towards a bbq roaster. The reason is that it appears most of the stuff can be bought off the shelf or crafted easily.

But the Roaster Rob designs look really good and not too difficult to build.

Also the direct flame design looks very interesting, but it seems that a drum or fluid bed might be better for repeatable results and versatility of beans and roasts.

What I am looking for:

-Something that can roast at least 3kg, or as much as 5 kg beans

-Doesn't take too long to build (a month or less)

-Offers easily repeatable results

-Costs less than 1000 usd to make (hopefully less)

The Roaster Rob builds look awesome, but I can't seem to find specific design schematics or parts list for it. I have experience with auto repair and home repair, but it seems there are significant gaps in my knowledge specific to roaster builds. I have 80% of the tools needed (and don't mind buying the rest), and all of the skills needed (welding, machines such as lathes, plumbing, electric wiring, even some coding, etc.). So I can build it no problem, but I may not be able to design it from the floor up. Also it seems that most people build out of parts on hand. I don't have most of the parts so I would need to get them somewhere.

Which leads me to the bbq design. The vast majority can be bought pre-assembled thus averting the need to design anything. I can build a drum no problem. While the RR air roaster looks better, it also looks much more difficult to build.

Seeing as I have little experience roasting and none actually building roasters, any advice would be welcome.

O.k. back to the forums.

turtle
It is not what you use.

It is knowing your roaster and how to use it that makes great roasts.

BTW..... how much experience is "little experience"...

Have you roasted enough on a system that has allowed you to know the stages and what you need to do to get a good roast?

Mick - "Drinking in life one cup at a time"
"I'd rather be roasting coffee"

Roaster 1: San Franciscan SF-1
Roaster 2: Hottop B-2K+
Roaster 3: Behmor 1600 +
Grinders: Modified Super Jolly - Forte BG (x3)
Pour over: Hario - Bee House - Chemex - Kalita - Bodum
Drip: Bunn CWTF15-1 & CW15-TC (commercials)
Espresso: Pasquini Livia 90 auto
Vacuum: Cona - Bodum
Press: Frieling - Bodum Colombia

jkoll42
It sounds like you have the skills needed for diy and a $1k budget for diy is essentially like saying you're going out to buy a car but you set a $5m price ceiling. You essentially can build whatever you want.

Not sure if this helps but my progression was Poppery>Modified Poppery>BM/HG>Stripped Down and modified BM/HG>Screwing around with building a bubblebed for fun>current direct flame "industrial" build scaled up based on the BM/HG concept.

My personal advice would be to get your roasts locked down on a roaster with smaller batches first. It hurts way less to screw up 1# or a half# than spending time and $ only to screw up 7-10#. Once you feel confident in your roasts we can all help you decide what's going to be the best build for you. I promise it's not rocket surgery.

Jon
-Jon
Honey badger 1k, Bunn LPG-2E, Technivorm, Cimbali Max Hybrid, Vibiemme Double Domo V3

AA_Inferno
Thanks for the replies!

Turtle: I have roasted a few pounds, the air roaster got good results but started to melt at some point so I gave up on it. Plus the capacity was really small. I roasted some in a few different types of pans as well as a stir crazy popcorn maker. The results were really good but the beans did not roast evenly; some were burnt, some were under done, but overall it tasted pretty good. I did learn a little about roasting (first crack, second, dealing with chaff, cooling).

I do understand that after I build the roaster learning to roast beans will be a whole other mountain to climb, but I look forward to it.

jkoll42: Good to know, I was a little worried about the budget but it sounds like it won't be a problem.

I am not too worried about ruined batches. I figure it is inevitable in the learning process to lose some beans. But on the plus side I just found out that I drive by Sweet Maria's once or twice a month to visit family in Oakland. They have some super cheap beans on the whole sale side that would be great to learn with. The roaster builds I am looking at don't look too dangerous as far as ruining beans. While the first batches won't be top notch, they should at least be drinkable. I know lots of people that would be happy to test out some beans and report back, so it won't be a waste to roast 10 lbs at once. I guess I tend to jump in with both feet when I decide to do something.

I guess so far my progression is air popper->stir popper->pan roast, but I have not built much yet. But I do like building things.

renatoa
The pan stirring is the issue, I had the same disappointments until I switched to a drum inside a pot approach, keeping the turbo oven as heat source.
Completely other results... even as good as it gets and incredible natural curve without almost anything changed during the whole rost process.
DIY: IR to bean, Popcorn
Moded commercial: Dieckmann RoestMeister, Nesco
PID/ramp/soak controllers, MS6514 USB/Artisan/App
Grinder: mod'ed Porlex to 47 conical burrs

jkoll42
AA_Inferno wrote:

But on the plus side I just found out that I drive by Sweet Maria's once or twice a month to visit family in Oakland.

OK I officially hate you now.
-Jon
Honey badger 1k, Bunn LPG-2E, Technivorm, Cimbali Max Hybrid, Vibiemme Double Domo V3

AA_Inferno
jkoll42 wrote:

AA_Inferno wrote:

But on the plus side I just found out that I drive by Sweet Maria's once or twice a month to visit family in Oakland.

OK I officially hate you now.

:'(

OK guys, after much reading I have decided on building the 3kg Roaster Rob roaster.

I have been looking , but yet to find, some sort of schematics or guide or something for this roaster. I have a list of the basic parts needed, but I don't really know where to begin.

Any advice/links/etc greatly appreciated :)

jkoll42
I kid I kid

You're going to have a tough time finding solid schematics/exact size cuts for parts etc for most builds here. We're happy to give advice but most are a trial/error situation. The biggest first decisions and IIRC the specs for these are in the RR build threads are roast chamber diameter, plate design, air source/necessary head pressure and propane burner BTU(KW) output.

Once you have the specs for these it's just a matter of welding things up how you want them to look and operate.

I wish I could give more specific advice but I'm not heavy into air roasting
-Jon

AA_Inferno
Thanks jkoll42. I am reading through every thread I can find, will start my own thread soon. While I have not yet found specific schematics and parts list, Rob is pretty specific in some of his posts and I think I will be able to build it based on his descriptions. I have some questions already but I will put those in a build specific thread.

jkoll42
The one part I can direct you to is the propane burner. Sievert torches do extremely good in roaster airflow situation and they will sell direct stateside. The info is in the suppliers thread but PM me if you can't find it. Their torch setups are awesome and the price is reasonable. IIRC it's what RR used and what I used messing around with the bubblebed build and currently use on the honeybadger roaster. Bonus if you need to sweat a large pipe you can disassemble the roaster and fix your plumbing.

Please please start a build thread. Everyone loves to read them and you are way more likely to get responses once there are a few pics and folks get engaged. Again, glad to have you here and watch the progress of the build! roar
-Jon

AA_Inferno
Found the suppliers thread, thanks. Sievert gets so many recommendations here they must be doing it right.

jkoll42
They really make an awesome torch handle and burners. It almost makes me wish all the copper in my house would go so I could use it for something other than roasting. Almost. Well not really but you get the point. They are also so easy to deal with considering we are homeroasters ordering a single setup unlikely to ever purchase again.

Also for random parts/fittings/etc needs mcmaster.com is awesome and iirc they have a CA warehouse.
-Jon

PhilH
What you are describing sounds just like what I have built

Take a look at my 5kg Hot Air RR roaster thread

"2-5kg Hot Air Roaster"
https://forum.hom...ad_id=5296

If this looks like what you are after I can help with much more detail than is on the thread

regds Phil
Dalla Corte Mini, Compak K10F, 1.2kg FB LPG/PID FB, 5kg FB LPG/PID

Jump to Forum: