Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

snwcmpr
10/22/2019 5:31 AM
Thanks to you all....... I was not sleeping ... I stayed awake worried about it all. :)

Koffee Kosmo
10/21/2019 5:00 PM
While you were sleeping I have been active in booting out some spammers along with the posts they tried to sneak past me

NetriX
10/21/2019 2:41 PM
Apologies, fixed it asap! BBQ grill

snwcmpr
10/21/2019 12:35 PM
WOW!! A few minutes ago the site page said "Account Suspended". And would not open the site.

snwcmpr
10/18/2019 2:37 PM
Eth Nat Yirg Idido roasted yesterday. I dropped some off at a friends coffee shop. In a few days he will brew it and tell me what he thinks. We believe my roasts are better than what we buy.

Users Online
Guests Online: 2

Members Online: 1
renatoa

Total Members: 6,199
Newest Member: WyldGrind
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
renatoa - 2.00
allenb - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00
Groveland Hill Roas... - 25.00
renatoa - 2.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Big Price Drop on Green Brazil Minas Coffee
rff000
By the way, you can ask Walmart to let you know if and when they ever get those green coffee beans in again, by giving your email on the webpage https://www.walma...E/55348313. If they never get it in, you'll never hear about it, that's guaranteed. I also suspect that it will be priced more correctly if they ever sell it again.

coffeeroastersclub
I got my beans today!
woohoo

Wow that was fast! And they look just like they do in the picture. They appear to be arabica. I will be roasting some up shortly. I will be mixing them after roast with a new Java Robusta profile I got from another site for my lungos I have every day.

Len
"If this is coffee, please bring me some tea but if this is tea, please bring me some coffee." ~Abraham Lincoln

http://www.coffeeroastersclub.com
rff000
I got mine too today. Your only problem may be that you like them and can't get more at the bargain price, unless Walmart gets some more in stock.

I think they work great straight in ristretti or double espressos. I dose around 17.5 grams per shot and roast barely up to second crack.

coffeeroastersclub
I roasted up a batch and had a lungo with them. My blend was 80% of them (they were roasted to City+) and 20% of java robusta beans (roasted to a Vienna roast). The smell and taste was very similar to what I remember the coffee was that I got with my Beko turkish coffee maker (the coffee was called "Kurukahveci Mehmet Efendi Turkish Coffee". It certainly has a unique taste; hard to define, but definitely pronounced. I really need to let it degas now for a couple days and try it again. But it was enjoyable today. Additional comment: It really has a nose to it; not a bad smell at all, just very unique. Again very very similar to this turkish coffee that came with my beko:
https://www.amazo...ish+coffee

Len
"If this is coffee, please bring me some tea but if this is tea, please bring me some coffee." ~Abraham Lincoln

rff000
Bosnia is known for Turkish coffee, which explains why they sell it there and export it for Bosnians abroad. I tried to use another Minas Sul but that specific taste was not there, although the coffee was good. I think it must be the soil on the plantation they use or own. I couldn't come up with a word for the taste but it's pretty obvious when you taste or smell the roasted beans. Anyway, I like it in espresso.

I wonder why you'd need a special machine for Turkish coffee. I make it by grinding to a powder in a cheap brass Turkish grinder and slowly heating it in a Turkish ibrik. What does an electric machine add?

OK, I got my answer on http://coffee-bre...fee-maker/. But, if you lift the ibrik, you can do temperature control yourself.
Edited by rff000 on 05/23/2017 8:58 AM

rff000
I found a nice page of hints about how to brew Turkish coffee (without a special machine):
http://www.turkis...e-s/54.htm

By the way, this site features Vispak roasted and ground, along with all the other famous brands of Turkish coffee. But it's expensive: $10 for 300 grams! (As opposed to $4.80 for 1000 grams.)

coffeeroastersclub
I want to add a bit about this bean. I roasted it about 4 days ago and I have had it as a lungo from my espresso machine (it was good); I have had it as a drip from my Technivorm (ehhhhh ....); and today I had it as a turkish coffee from my Beko (awesome!). Note that I roasted it to a city+ and mixed it after roast with 20% by weight of vienna roasted Java Robusta. There was an excellent sweetness that came through with the turkish brew from my beko, something that I did not have with the Technivorm and only slightly with the lungo. Thanks rf000 to introducing me to this bean. ThumbsUp It will become a daily turkish coffee ritual for me with my Beko (which was starting to collect dust).

Len

rff000
You're welcome. If Walmart never sells it again at a bargain price, you'll be in the same boat I was and you may want to buy it from a Bosnian outlet at the regular price. I have enough to last me about a year, but I'm pretty sure I'll want more after that. Luckily, the regular price is nothing like Kona or the exotic coffees that cost over $20 per lb.

I tried a lot of other Brazilian coffees, even others from Minas Sul, but I never found this exact flavor in them. So, I'm wondering how Vispak does it. Do you think it's the soil (terroir) of the plantation where it's grown? I doubt it can be an additive of some sort. I recently came across another coffee (Colombian Narino Natural) with another great taste along with the coffee flavor. I originally got 5 lb. of it from Bodhi Leaf, but the variety I bought is now sold out. Maybe there's another Colombian Narino Natural out there if someone wants to try a great coffee! Another favorite of mine is Bali Kintamani Natural. Years ago I used to buy Brazilia Fazenda Alegre but I haven't seen it for sale in a long time. Well, those are some of my all-time favorites. I could also add Puerto Rican Yauco Selecto, but it's very pricey.

coffeeroastersclub
I doubt it would be any additive. Most likely its the region. It does have a profile that is best with turkish coffee. Most people would scratch their heads on the taste as it is so unfamiliar. However due to the fact that I recognized the taste from the coffee that was provided to me with my beko it broke my resistance to any taste issue. It is neat to have a special coffee to go with a very special way of brewing as in the turkish way.

Len

rff000
By the way, in July I was at a conference with some people from former Yugoslavia and I wanted to tell them about the Walmart deal for green beans from Bosnia, and how it was no longer available.

Well, I searched Walmart on my phone and was surprised to see that they had another 6 kilos available for the ridiculous price of around $4.50 per kilo. I couldn't resist and ordered all 6 during a conference break.

Now I'm so overloaded with this coffee that my storage box is too heavy to lift and it will take me over a year to use them. So, feel free to search Walmart for Vispak Minas Sirova coffee. I won't compete for your order.

But, I still wonder why they periodically list 6 kilos for less than half the usual price. Since they also sell roasted beans, maybe the green price keeps their average price low. Beats me!

Jump to Forum: