bullet2.gif Slap count: 0
bullet2.gif Last checked ID: 6194
View Thread
Homeroasters.org » THE ART OF ROASTING COFFEE » Green Coffee
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Big Price Drop on Green Brazil Minas Coffee
rff000
One of my favorite green coffees is Brazil Minas as sold by the Bosnian exporter Vispak. I have been buying this green coffee in 1 kilogram packages for many years and the cost has always been around $12. per kilo, i.e. something like $6 per pound.

Quite accidentally, I found out today that Walmart sells this green coffee at less than 1/2 the price I had been paying! You can also pick it up at the store without any shipping charges, if you live near enough to a Walmart. I don't really need green coffee now, but I couldn't resist and ordered 5 kilos, coming in at a bit under $25.

The URL I ordered from is: https://www.walma...E/55348313

The name given is partly in Serbo-Croatian-Bosnian: (note that sirova means "raw, unroasted")--"Vispak Minas Sirova Coffee"
Edited by JackH on 05/21/2017 12:45

coffeeroastersclub
So Bosnia imports a big time amount of the Brazilan beans then resells it unroasted through Walmart for almost nothing? Why?

Also can you provide a cupping review of these beans?

Len
"If this is coffee, please bring me some tea but if this is tea, please bring me some coffee." ~Abraham Lincoln

http://www.coffeeroastersclub.com
rff000
I'm not experienced in giving cupping reviews and I don't think this coffee has been discovered. It has an unusual taste I really like that probably comes from the local soil. I tried another Minas Sul for fun, but it did not have the "Bosnian" flavor. I think it's well worth the $4.80 for 2.2 pounds!

I have no idea why it's less than half the price of the real Bosnian stores I've been using. Maybe a Walmart mistake? Maybe my order will get cancelled.

Try it for fun if you want, then buy a lot if you like it as I do.

Actually, I'm in the Slavic languages field and always frequent this type of store, but it's the first time I ever found green coffee in any of them.

coffeeroastersclub
I guess I am just curious as to the bosnian flavor you reference because the beans are from Brazil. The beans are right from Walmart so they must have alot of them in stock. It is not from a vendor that may sell through their site.

Len
"If this is coffee, please bring me some tea but if this is tea, please bring me some coffee." ~Abraham Lincoln

rff000
I used the words "Bosnian flavor" without any real reference to Bosnia. The flavor is very distinctive, as happens with certain coffees, but there is no English word I can think of to tell you exactly what it tastes like. I simply used the words "Bosnian flavor" since the importing company is from Bosnia. If they had been from Canada, I would have said "Canadian flavor."

The green coffees I've roasted can be divided into those with a very distinctive flavor of their own--in addition to the coffee flavor, and those that only have a coffee flavor. On a trip to Mexico around 45 years ago I bought a few pounds of local coffee and it also had a distinctive taste, which I liked a lot, but never found again.

I know that a lot of descriptions of coffee talk about chocolate and cocoa flavor notes and a lot more, but I'm not so inventive. But, I do recommend this coffee and I think it's a screaming bargain at the Walmart price, especially if you can pick it up at a store and avoid all shipping charges, which are often considerable for coffee. In fact, if Walmart continues to carry it for that price, it may just wind up being my major supplier of green coffee for the foreseeable future.

jkoll42
Wow, this hits high on the whatintheheckometer. Please don't take this as being negative to you because if you like the beans that's a great price if you can ship to store for free. That's a great deal and hopefully the order doesn't get cancelled because someone screwed up.

I'm just utterly confused why a company in Bosnia and Herzegovina would import Brazilian beans in giant quantities, package and brand them unroasted, have Walmart buy them in enough quantity that they are actually stocked and sold actually by Walmart and not even a marketplace seller. The margin calculator in my head is very confused. If you look their website up they're ISO 9001 so it's not like a couple of mobsters working out of a garage.

My only thought is buying whatever greens they can get their hands on cheap from Brazil, buying too much, not selling enough and then having a really good salesperson who managed to get a purchaser from Walmart to agree to take the stock at a break even/loss to get it off the floor and reclaim warehouse space. Supposedly Walmart pricing starts at full price with a 7 as the last digit and as stuff goes on clearance each markdown reduces the penny amount by one until it gets to 1 which is the final markdown. If this is actually true, the buyer has been given the spanish inquisition and these things are just sitting around and they're just trying to get rid of them.

Short story - since you really like them, buy a bunch right now since I'm willing to bet they aren't going to be there permanently.
-Jon
Honey badger 1k, Bunn LPG-2E, Technivorm, Cimbali Max Hybrid, Vibiemme Double Domo V3

rff000
I definitely don't mean to push these beans on anyone. I just wanted to mention that I have been buying them for years at small Bosnian stores and now they are suddenly available for a much lower price. The quality has always been very good, but I can't vouch for the coffee being sold by Walmart, because I have not received my order as of today. I last ordered from a Bosnian outlet in St. Louis and I used to buy them in person from a store in Indianapolis.

jkoll42
rff000 wrote:

I definitely don't mean to push these beans on anyone. I just wanted to mention that I have been buying them for years at small Bosnian stores and now they are suddenly available for a much lower price. The quality has always been very good, but I can't vouch for the coffee being sold by Walmart, because I have not received my order as of today. I last ordered from a Bosnian outlet in St. Louis and I used to buy them in person from a store in Indianapolis.

No I didn't think in any way you were trying to push the beans. It's just a very odd situation of Walmart stocking them and selling them at that price.
-Jon
Honey badger 1k, Bunn LPG-2E, Technivorm, Cimbali Max Hybrid, Vibiemme Double Domo V3

David
Thanks. I amgoing to give it a try

David Y

turtle
Brazil grows a large amount of the Robusta used around the globe in commercial blends.

If it is a Robusta coffee, all of you espresso roasters should jump as it is getting more and more difficult to source Robusta beans or your blends.

Mick - "Drinking in life one cup at a time"
"I'd rather be roasting coffee"

Roaster 1: San Franciscan SF-1
Roaster 2: Hottop B-2K+
Roaster 3: Behmor 1600 +
Grinders: Modified Super Jolly - Forte BG (x3)
Pour over: Hario - Bee House - Chemex - Kalita - Bodum
Drip: Bunn CWTF15-1 & CW15-TC (commercials)
Espresso: Pasquini Livia 90 auto
Vacuum: Cona - Bodum
Press: Frieling - Bodum Colombia

rff000
I'm almost positive that it is arabica and not robusta, based on the taste, etc. I noticed that on the Bosnian Vispak website, the green coffee is not listed. So, maybe they dropped it from their line and that accounts for the super cheap dump at Walmart. The US importer, Grand Prix Trading, still lists it, as follows:

http://grandprixt...k-kafa.pdf
Edited by JackH on 05/21/2017 12:44

MPSAN
Well, Walmart now says Out Of Stock.
"If it Ain't Broke, Fix it 'til it is"!

rff000
I'm probably the guilty party for announcing it here. At least I got my bargain 5 kilos.

My other great bargain idea is to bid on Bodhi Leaf auctions on Ebay, not the "buy it now" sales. That way you can try for 5 lbs. for a minimum of around 12.50, including shipping, if there aren't many bidders. It helps when the bidding ends at a strange hour, when no one (except you) is awake.

Just for fun, I checked my source for the Vispak unroasted in St. Louis, where I ordered last September. They have it for $11.69 per kilo plus shipping, not the $4.80 Walmart price. Their shipping is expensive, but I got cheap shipping there last December with their Christmas shipping special. Comes to around $6.70 per pound.
Here's the URL:https://www.eurof...beans-1kg/

I bought it then because I really wanted it and that was my only option. The local Bosnian store where I live didn't have it and didn't know how to get it.
Edited by JackH on 05/21/2017 12:39

MPSAN
Well, at about $7 per pound, I get just about anything from HappyMug including shipping.
"If it Ain't Broke, Fix it 'til it is"!

JackH

ADMIN: Please make your links clickable. It makes it easier to use.
Thanks!
JackH attached the following image:
capture_53.jpg

---Jack

KKTO Roaster.

JackH
Wow! we emptied Walmart's supply.

woohoo
---Jack

KKTO Roaster.

coffeeroastersclub
JackH wrote:

Wow! we emptied Walmart's supply.

woohoo

I bought a couple bags before it sold out (kind of surprised it sold out so fast ...). And I did get a notice that Walmart shipped them out to me.
Very interested in seeing how they are. cross fingers

Len

rff000
I can't really imagine that the quantity Walmart had was that much, to be sold out after a short time on this message board. Let's hope they get some more in. Otherwise, I can't understand why they'd bother to stock it. I doubt any huge purchases were made, but who knows? Kind of mysterious.

jkoll42
It's also possible they weren't selling on the mfg side and they decided to dump stock through a inventory liquidator who ended up had ties to walmart and they bought them for essentially nothing. Anyone have ties with Walmart to solve this mystery? :)
-Jon

snwcmpr
I am having a good laugh that the words 'Walmart' and 'Green Beans' are in the same sentence.
I never imagined such a thing.
Backwoods Roaster
"I wish I could taste as well as I wish I could roast."

Jump to Forum: