bullet2.gif Big Price Drop on Gr...
Hottest Threads
bullet2.gif Dereks 1-2Kg drum... [76]
bullet2.gif 2nd drum roaster [74]
bullet2.gif Rocquette Roaster... [34]
bullet2.gif Another electric ... [30]
bullet2.gif Stop roast before... [27]
Donate to HRO
Please enter your site username (if you have one) and your email address (required) to be sent with this donation for tracking and contact purposes.

Site Username
If you don't have a site username, just enter "Guest"

eMail Address **REQUIRED**

Users Online
bullet2.gif Guests Online: 1

bullet2.gif Members Online: 0

bullet2.gif Total Members: 4,908
bullet2.gif Newest Member: justinthomasleonard
BotSlap Panel
bullet2.gif Last check: 05/24/2017 06:17
bullet2.gif Slap count: 0
bullet2.gif Last checked ID: 5940
View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
I'm building my first drum coffee roaster
Chip
Hi- I'm well underway with my coffee roaster build and have a question. The design is one 12 guage 8in x 8in spinning drum and one 18 guage 10in x 12in outer drum/heat shield. I will be using a 15,000 but propane burner for heat directly under the shield. There will be a 1 inch gap between the two drums and about 4 in of space behind the coffee drum. My question is, do you think I need to cut some holes in the bottom of the shield above the burner? or should I be able to get good heat control without? Any help would be great. Thanks Chip

Chip
Another try with some pictures.
Chip attached the following image:
img_0795.jpg

Chip
Here are some more :)
img_0794.jpg

Chip
Another
img_0800.jpg

Chip
And one more (I guess I have to do them individually)
img_0801_1.jpg

Lylabrown
Greetings Chip! Beautiful work so far!

Regarding your question about drilling holes in the heat shield directly above the burner: I'd say leave it be for the moment until you've tested the heat transfer during a roast. If it's laggy in response to input changes or the beans taste air roasted then it's worth drilling some holes and testing again. Much easier to drill than un-drill holes!

I'd recommend leaving a small gap (1/4") on the bottom front part of the heat shield to prevent any chaff that squeezed through the gap between the drum and front wall from getting stuck inside the shield.

-Russ

Chip
Thanks Russ! I will just grind out a spot at the bottom front about 1/4 inch in. Is that what you were suggesting? Chip

JackH
Chip, Welcome to Homeroasters!

You can attach up to 10 photos to one post. Clicking on Browse and selecting a file adds each file to a list. You can see this on my attachment.

Be sure and use "Post Reply" and not "Quick reply" for attachments.
JackH attached the following image:
capture_50.jpg

---Jack

KKTO Roaster.

jkoll42
So I don't have any experience with drum roasters but I will contribute that the front plate is awesome bcs it looks like a smiley face!
-Jon
Honey badger 1k, Bunn LPG-2E, Technivorm, Cimbali Max Hybrid, Vibiemme Double Domo V3

Chip
I added some heat today and it took a while to heat up to 300. About 45 min. How long should it take to heat up a cold roaster to operating temp?
img_0810.jpg

allenb
Hi chip and welcome to HRO! My experience with trying to achieve an efficient heat exchange between heat source and drum (rotating drum), is that you've got to transfer the heat as direct as possible to prevent two things from happening. 1. To prevent heat loss through the outside metal skin of the roaster and 2. To ensure optimal response time after heat adjustments are made. But, I would consider adding a deflector between flame and drum to at least spread the heat a bit instead of having direct flame contact with the drum.

Here's an older thread where the subject is discussed that may be of some interest. He used the drum within a drum approach for a simpler means of inner sheet metal shield fabrication:

http://forum.home...post_57703

Allen
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

Chip
Thanks Allen! I do have a heat shield-see above description. It is kind of a double drum/shield design. My concern is that the shield might be a bit too substantial and need some vent holes. I have started with about 5 1/4 inch holes above the burner. We'll see what that does today!

allenb
It is kind of a double drum/shield design. My concern is that the shield might be a bit too substantial and need some vent holes. I have started with about 5 1/4 inch holes above the burner. We'll see what that does today!

Please post a sketch or photo of the arrangement. Especially showing the path the heat from the gas burner will be taking to eventually pass heat on to the drum.

Allen
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

Jump to Forum: