topbanner.gif
May 24 2017 06:26:42
Login
Username

Password



Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Navigation
bullet2.gif HOMEROASTERS.ORG
bullet2.gif Active Forums
bullet2.gif FORUM INDEX
bullet2.gif Downloads
bullet2.gif News
bullet2.gif Forum FAQ
bullet2.gif Contact Me
bullet2.gif Photo Gallery
bullet2.gif Search
bullet2.gif User's Voice
Forum Threads
Newest Threads
bullet2.gif SUCCESS!!! Finally...
bullet2.gif Help needed with TC4...
bullet2.gif Sonofresco 2LB Profi...
bullet2.gif Artisan Devices
bullet2.gif Big Price Drop on Gr...
Hottest Threads
bullet2.gif Dereks 1-2Kg drum... [76]
bullet2.gif 2nd drum roaster [74]
bullet2.gif Rocquette Roaster... [34]
bullet2.gif Another electric ... [30]
bullet2.gif Stop roast before... [27]
Donate to HRO
Please enter your site username (if you have one) and your email address (required) to be sent with this donation for tracking and contact purposes.


Site Username
If you don't have a site username, just enter "Guest"


eMail Address **REQUIRED**

Users Online
bullet2.gif Guests Online: 2

bullet2.gif Members Online: 0

bullet2.gif Total Members: 4,908
bullet2.gif Newest Member: justinthomasleonard
BotSlap Panel
bullet2.gif Last check: 05/24/2017 06:17
bullet2.gif Slap count: 0
bullet2.gif Last checked ID: 5940
View Thread
Homeroasters.org » THE ART OF ROASTING COFFEE » Roasting Coffee
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Stop roast before 1st crack!?
jkoll42
Randy wrote:
Jon,
Excuse my ignorance but what is "pulling a triple"?


Yeah so it's like a white elephant. There's really no reason besides experimenting to pull them; kind of like single shots. I may get crap on this but pulling singles or triples imho is for fun with the very occasional better shot unless you roast the same beans all the time and can mess around. Basically the same water to grind ratio. I hate to give volume/ground/shot timing figures because espresso is a fickle beast and shot timings, volumes, dosing can literally vary with humidity, age of beans, the day of the month, if your dog crapped on the right or left side of the yard. Attached is a piss poor pic of three baskets on potentially the dirtiest coffee bar setup. Sickness in the family so things are a mess. Ugh this forum host drives me nuts. Here's an external link to the pic - promise it's not a windows ransomeware atttempt. Pic size is too large to ul and I can't get the link to be clickable so copypasta away. EDIT - I think the more intelligent mods fixed the link unless David Blaine got involved. EDIT EDIT - Jack "the Blaine" got to this while I was typing. Thanks for the near instant fix!



https://photos.go...1kZHZHU0hR
jkoll42 attached the following image:
capture_52.jpg

Edited by jkoll42 on 05/14/2017 13:13
-Jon
Honey badger 1k, Bunn LPG-2E, Technivorm, Cimbali Max Hybrid, Vibiemme Double Domo V3
 
JackH
I had to use the full link to get it to work. I think the system does not like the shortened links.

You have to use a command that generates a url that points directly to the image file. Some sites will not allow this because of traffic issues. I know photobucket works.

I went to your photo on the google site and did a sinpping tool capture and loaded it as a JPG.
Edited by JackH on 05/14/2017 13:13
---Jack

KKTO Roaster.
 
ChicagoJohn
Attached is a piss poor pic of three baskets on potentially the dirtiest coffee bar setup.


Thanks for the explanation. Being new to espresso, I was not aware there was a basket made to hold the triple shot charge of 20-21 gm. I've definitely noticed what you say about how finicky conditions can be in getting the right double pull timing. For me, probably the biggest factor has seemed to be charge weight, but I will now definitely start noting which side of the yard the dogs crap on too!
So many beans; so little time....
 
coffeeroastersclub
jkoll42 wrote:

Randy wrote:
Jon,
Excuse my ignorance but what is "pulling a triple"?


Yeah so it's like a white elephant. There's really no reason besides experimenting to pull them; kind of like single shots. I may get crap on this but pulling singles or triples imho is for fun with the very occasional better shot unless you roast the same beans all the time and can mess around. Basically the same water to grind ratio. I hate to give volume/ground/shot timing figures because espresso is a fickle beast and shot timings, volumes, dosing can literally vary with humidity, age of beans, the day of the month, if your dog crapped on the right or left side of the yard.
https://photos.go...1kZHZHU0hR


Jon, I have been using 20 gram in my what I thought was a double basket for my Gaggia Baby Semi. Am I really doing a triple? How much max does a double basket hold? My basket (what I thought was a double) can hold 21 grams compressed.

Len
"If this is coffee, please bring me some tea but if this is tea, please bring me some coffee." ~Abraham Lincoln
 
http://www.coffeeroastersclub.com
renatoa
"The size can be a single, double, or triple, using a proportional amount of ground coffee, roughly 7, 14, and 21 grams; correspondingly sized filter baskets are used.
The Italian multiplier term doppio is often used for a double, with solo and triplo being more rarely used for singles and triples"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Espresso#Size
DIY: TurboOven, Popcorn
Moded commercial: Dieckmann RoestMeister, Nesco
PID/ramp/soak controllers
 
jkoll42
coffeeroastersclub wrote:

jkoll42 wrote:

Randy wrote:
Jon,
Excuse my ignorance but what is "pulling a triple"?


Yeah so it's like a white elephant. There's really no reason besides experimenting to pull them; kind of like single shots. I may get crap on this but pulling singles or triples imho is for fun with the very occasional better shot unless you roast the same beans all the time and can mess around. Basically the same water to grind ratio. I hate to give volume/ground/shot timing figures because espresso is a fickle beast and shot timings, volumes, dosing can literally vary with humidity, age of beans, the day of the month, if your dog crapped on the right or left side of the yard.
https://photos.go...1kZHZHU0hR


Jon, I have been using 20 gram in my what I thought was a double basket for my Gaggia Baby Semi. Am I really doing a triple? How much max does a double basket hold? My basket (what I thought was a double) can hold 21 grams compressed.

Len


If you can squeeze the grams in a double you're technically pulling a triple but headspace from grounds to filter screen can also have a major impact so triple baskets are typically a little taller and the apex of the bottom of the basket curve is tighter so more coffee can get crammed in there. Opposite for singles. The basket is shorter but if you look at the bottom the perforations are maybe 50%ish more restricted and the curve is major.

I hate to really give any specific volume/dosage/timing "facts" just because espresso is a fickle beast. You can have a traditional dose pull all different ways. Machines pull different as well. My Gaggia pulled totally different than the VBM.

My feeling is forget about the definitions, figure out what tastes best for you and roll with it.
Edited by jkoll42 on 05/15/2017 17:31
-Jon
Honey badger 1k, Bunn LPG-2E, Technivorm, Cimbali Max Hybrid, Vibiemme Double Domo V3
 
coffeeroastersclub

If you can squeeze the grams in a double you're technically pulling a triple but headspace from grounds to filter screen can also have a major impact so triple baskets are typically a little taller and the apex of the bottom of the basket curve is tighter so more coffee can get crammed in there. Opposite for singles. The basket is shorter but if you look at the bottom the perforations are maybe 50%ish more restricted and the curve is major.

I hate to really give any specific volume/dosage/timing "facts" just because espresso is a fickle beast. You can have a traditional dose pull all different ways. Machines pull different as well. My Gaggia pulled totally different than the VBM.

My feeling is forget about the definitions, figure out what tastes best for you and roll with it.


Jon, I am relatively new at the espresso thing. How tight are you supposed to put the portafilter on? Till it will not budge any longer, or looser?

Len
"If this is coffee, please bring me some tea but if this is tea, please bring me some coffee." ~Abraham Lincoln
 
http://www.coffeeroastersclub.com
jkoll42
It should be cranked in tight but don't go all Schwarzenegger on it. I've also found as the gaskets in the brew head get older and harden the portafilter tends to back off a few degrees once the brew pressure hits. Basically as long as you don't have water leaking from the top of the basket and you didn't break anything you're good. IMHO there's a pretty lenient torque range.
-Jon
Honey badger 1k, Bunn LPG-2E, Technivorm, Cimbali Max Hybrid, Vibiemme Double Domo V3
 
Jump to Forum:
Similar Threads
Thread Forum Replies Last Post
visual ques for 1st and 2nd crack? Roasting Coffee 11 04/29/2017 05:30
Ready to rock and roast! New Members say hello or you may update your profile. 5 04/24/2017 18:19
Looking to try a roast with beans from Ecuador Green Coffee 6 03/15/2017 09:03
In Need of I-Roast 2 Part - Roasting Pot Base iRoast 7 02/19/2017 17:52
2k+ early first crack HotTop Roaster 6 02/19/2017 06:04
Member Poll
What region do you enjoy drinking coffee from the most?

Africa

Central America

Indonesia

Island Regions

South America

Columbian, my Columbian

You must login to vote.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

JackH
05/24/2017 01:28
I think there always was a character limit on the shouts. Meant to be short messages.

jkoll42
05/23/2017 15:30
stupid character limit. continued.... [post as well as the shout]

jkoll42
05/23/2017 15:25
Thanks for getting the site back up. Only issue I've found is the quote button seems to just dump the whole thread. Well edit is working since I put ever instead of every and I could edit the pos

skpacman
05/22/2017 13:18
ThumbsUp

NetriX
05/22/2017 13:08
morning

JackH
05/22/2017 11:10
welcome2 Trevallion

JackH
05/22/2017 11:08
Welcome ronncat

JackH
05/22/2017 11:07
jamesvtt welcome cup

JackH
05/20/2017 14:43
welcome2 waxy

JackH
05/20/2017 14:41
Welcome hisokasbane

JackH
05/20/2017 14:36
Thanks Skpacman for getting us going!

skpacman
05/19/2017 16:37
I was trying to repair postfix to get email working again and the reinstall broke and took down the whole server.

allenb
05/19/2017 16:13
That's great news that you were able to get things recovered and back up and running. Any idea what caused your server to explode?

skpacman
05/19/2017 11:39
I apologise for the downtime. My server exploded...

allenb
05/16/2017 15:01
sapidus3225 Welcome