Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

CharcoalRoaster
05/14/2019 1:46 AM
I just roasted 500g of Mocha Mattari -- it's on it's third day of rest. Should be cracking into it tomorrow AM and I can't wait!

John Despres
05/12/2019 2:51 PM
Good evening! What's roasting? Yemen Mocha Mattari in my cup today.

snwcmpr
05/12/2019 5:59 AM
Hey Ed. BBQ grill

homeroaster
05/11/2019 1:47 PM
Hey, y'all! The Homeoroaster here. What's hot that I need to look at? pouring

allenb
05/11/2019 7:54 AM
Hi nano and welcome to HRO! I would post your message in HUGS which is near the end of the Discussion Forum list.

Users Online
Guests Online: 2

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 5,967
Newest Member: Rox
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
Groveland Hill Roas... - 25.00
renatoa - 2.00
JitterzZ - 50.00
PRABHATH COFFEE WORKS - 10.00
John Despres (Scene... - 25.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Toggle Switch Wiring Help
CharcoalRoaster
Is it possible to wire up a heating element to a toggle switch? The reason I ask is that I want to be able to turn it on and off but I am confused by the wiring...

I was able to wire one line to the lead and one line to the neutral of the plug. Once I plugged it in it worked like a champ. However, I'm confused as to how I can wire it to a toggle switch. If I wire one line of the ignitor to the load and the other to the neutral it blows my circuit each time. I also wanted to connect an LED indicator so that I would know when the ignitor is on inside my steel enclosure.

Obviously the wires aren't coated so are they both leads? both neutral? does it matter which one is which?

Any of you wiring gurus wanna help a brotha out? here's a link to a rough image of what I'd like to do.

https://www.dropb...1.jpg?dl=0

jkoll42
Am I safe to assume that's just a standard switch taking mains power and switching on/off to nichrome?

On a standard switched circuit you wand load into the switch, load out of the switch to the coil and neutral on the other end of the coil.

Assuming it's just a basic nichrome setup pretend the light buld is your heat element http://www.buildm...switch.gif
-Jon
Honey badger 1k, Bunn LPG-2E, Technivorm, Cimbali Max Hybrid, Vibiemme Double Domo V3

CharcoalRoaster
correct. I'd really like to include an indicator light so I know that the nichrome is receiving power even if I can't see it, that way if it dies/burns out/melts whatever I won't have to wait until I get to heat at the RC but that the indicator will tell me that.

Is that possible with the setup I've got (i.e. simple on/off nichrome)?

Thanks for the diagram pic btw. That's how I'll do it if I can't fit an indicator light in there.

renatoa
To detect wire melt you need in series lamp, with the lowest voltage possible and rated for a current same as the nichrome.
Because such lamp is difficult to find, usually is used a shunt in series with load, and lamp connected parallel to shunt.
I can compute the shunt required for a LED voltage, if you give me the heater power.
DIY: TO based IR to bean 750g
Moded commercial: Dieckmann RoestMeister, Nesco, popcorn.
TC4ESP, PID controllers, MS6514 USB/Artisan/Apps
Grinder: MBK Feldgrind, mod'ed Porlex to 47 conical burrs, vintage PeDe Dienes

CharcoalRoaster
Thanks jkoll for the wiring assistance. I've got the toggle switch wired up to the dryer heating coile and the element is working/producing heat. The problem now is that it's not producing enough heat and I'm not sure what the problem is?

Even with minimal airflow the max temp I'm reading on my temp probe sitting right under the element itself is 170*F

I cut the element in half per Renatoa's suggestion and there are no shorts. Is it that the circuit (15a) in my garage isn't enough voltage to get that puppy up to roasting temps?

renatoa
What is the heater rated power?
If unknown, what device originates/ was extracted ?

Let me guess... if from a hair drier, surely will not get enough power.
Also, is there any blower around ?

CharcoalRoaster
Its this dryer heater coil:

https://www.amazo...&psc=1

the blower is a vacuum motor blower controlled by a variac dial

jkoll42
Hopefully someone else will chime in charcoal - I really don't have experience working with raw nichrome for heat
-Jon
Honey badger 1k, Bunn LPG-2E, Technivorm, Cimbali Max Hybrid, Vibiemme Double Domo V3

renatoa
What to chime, definitely not the right coil... a hand/hair drier has not enough power, is designed to heat to maximum 80 C, else will cause skin burn.

To roast coffee you need at least 6-700W for the dry phase, as in a popcorn, i.e. 200 C degree ET, then raise the power to 1000W, or lower the blower, to have minimum 250 C ET, to be able for first crack.

CharcoalRoaster
its not a hair dryer coil. It's a heating coil that is used in clothes dryers rated at 240v 5400w.

I cut the coil in half and am running it on a 110v 15amp circuit.

renatoa
In this case, at 110V as is now you have 1134W, but this not mean automatically enough temperature, depends on airflow.

Whatever power is rated, a heater is designed for a specific goal, i.e. temperature and airflow.
I am afraid that the clothes drying needs relatively low temperature, and a lot of air ;) different than roasting coffee ;)
Can you measure wire thickness ? The hotguns wire is around 0.5 mm usually, this could give us a clue.
For example, experimenting with different coils, when replacing a 0.5mm wire coil of a hotgun able to deliver 330 C degrees at air exhaust, with another coil drawing same power, but 0.4 mm wire, thus much shorter, exhaust air temp was been reduced to 260 C degrees !

Jump to Forum: