bullet2.gif Slap count: 0
bullet2.gif Last checked ID: 6256
View Thread
Homeroasters.org » THE ART OF ROASTING COFFEE » Green Coffee
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Amazon getting into the green bean business
Randy
More and more green bean vendors are popping up on Amazon (including Home Roast Coffee and they can bite me!).
As a Prime member some of the prices are competitive with the vendors I am now using and I have ordered from two vendors so far, I will review the results after I receive and roast them.
That being said, I find a wide range of quality of the beans being offered from Grades 1 and 2, to grade 4. Vendors range from those I would never use (do you hear me Home Roast Coffee?) to being able to buy directly from the farmer which I find fascinating. I also learned that fair trade certified isn't always the best deal for the workers as far as what they are paid. Organic to non organic ect.
Has anyone else had experience with Amazon for their green beans and what did you think?
If at first you don't succeed...destroy all evidence that you tried - Steven Wright

renatoa
Amazon don't stock or sell any beans from their own warehouses, just a proxy to well established coffee stores:
https://www.amazo...ans+coffee
Edited by JackH on Mar 15, 2017 01:51 AM
DIY: IR to bean, Popcorn
Moded commercial: Dieckmann RoestMeister, Nesco
PID/ramp/soak controllers, MS6514 USB/Artisan/App
Grinder: mod'ed Porlex to 47 conical burrs

jkoll42
I've had no dealings via amazon for coffee. I have my established suppliers that are great and no reason to leave.

You are right about fair trade - it's not all it's made out to be. There are other far better programs.

Organic often makes people think that it's better. It's just means that it's certified. I'm not antiorganic (I consume many organic products) but coffee is not a concern of mine. First there are a lot of areas where it's essentially impossible to secure a certification because the infrastructure just isn't there for the certification process. Second, I spent a decade of my former life in pest control and have a strong knowledge of pesticides/herbicides and safety. Heat, moisture and sunlight break down pesticides/herbicides. Coffee seeds are husked from the surrounding fruit, washed, fermented, dried, shipped, roasted to almost 450F, exposed to boiling water, filtered. The chance of a non-organic contaminant is essentially zero. Oh, and there is no GMO coffee if that's a concern.

Steps off pedestal.
-Jon
Honey badger 1k, Bunn LPG-2E, Technivorm, Cimbali Max Hybrid, Vibiemme Double Domo V3

Jump to Forum: