Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

CharcoalRoaster
05/14/2019 1:46 AM
I just roasted 500g of Mocha Mattari -- it's on it's third day of rest. Should be cracking into it tomorrow AM and I can't wait!

John Despres
05/12/2019 2:51 PM
Good evening! What's roasting? Yemen Mocha Mattari in my cup today.

snwcmpr
05/12/2019 5:59 AM
Hey Ed. BBQ grill

homeroaster
05/11/2019 1:47 PM
Hey, y'all! The Homeoroaster here. What's hot that I need to look at? pouring

allenb
05/11/2019 7:54 AM
Hi nano and welcome to HRO! I would post your message in HUGS which is near the end of the Discussion Forum list.

Users Online
Guests Online: 1

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 5,969
Newest Member: stratocasterman
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
Groveland Hill Roas... - 25.00
renatoa - 2.00
JitterzZ - 50.00
PRABHATH COFFEE WORKS - 10.00
John Despres (Scene... - 25.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
Is Convection Oven Roasting a good/cheap alternative?
Yes Yes 67%[2 Votes]
No No 33%[1 Vote]
Only Starbucks knows how to roast Only Starbucks knows how to roast 0%[0 Votes]
Dunkin Donuts is the only roast option Dunkin Donuts is the only roast option 0%[0 Votes]
Must spend over $500 in equipment to roast properly Must spend over $500 in equipment to roast properly 0%[0 Votes]
Total Votes : 3
 Print Thread
OVEN ROASTING???
midwatcha
Why not roast coffee in a convection oven? There isn't even a thread for it on this site from what I can tell. I'm a newbie, so maybe I haven't found the right thread yet. The process is super simple, roast in convection oven @ 450F on a metal screen that allows airflow under the beans for about 10-11 minutes.

Personally, i haven't tried this method, it's my brother's method. My wife is too sensitive to the smell & am not looking to give her a reason to blame me for a persistent coffee stench in our oven.He hasn't mentioned any concerns with a mess or unevenness.

A screen like this 1. or a silicon mat like that 2. seems like it would work fine. Maybe put a tray over the top to keep any chafe from floating around in the oven.
https://www.amazo...ter+screen
https://www.amazo...ing+liners

My story:
midwatcha wrote:

1st of all...this is my 2nd post on this forum so ignore any common courtesy mistakes.

2nd: Converted my Great Northern Popcorn popper to a rotisserie style drum since the gears failed on me....again!!! Tried the whirley pop too...those gears failed me too.

3rd: Data Dump of 3 links that show pix & explain my thought process:
[img]https://imgur.com...lery/0d3Wr[/img]

https://www.reddi...6001000yr/

https://www.reddi..._1000year/

Koffee Kosmo
It won't work
This method you have described is considered as Baking

Coffee needs to be agitated constantly for good even results

KK
I home roast and I like it
Blog - http://koffeekosm...gspot.com/
Bezzera Strega: Mazzer Robur Grinder: 5 Box hand grinders: Pullman Tamper Convex: (KKTO) Turbo Oven Home Roaster: CONA Glass Rod Syphon: Pyrex Brewer:

http://koffeekosmo.com.au
renatoa
Title is misleading, you can vote without reading OP... that's why I voted Yes.
Turbo Oven is also a convection oven, and is good !
You can use also a non turbo convection oven, but only in a rotating basket, not on a screen.
DIY: TO based IR to bean 750g
Moded commercial: Dieckmann RoestMeister, Nesco, popcorn.
TC4ESP, PID controllers, MS6514 USB/Artisan/Apps
Grinder: MBK Feldgrind, mod'ed Porlex to 47 conical burrs, vintage PeDe Dienes

JackH
With a perforated tray, the heat would reach the top and bottom of the beans but you would be limited to a single layer of beans and very small roasting capacity.

The turbo ovens use a similar heat/convection method but the beans need to be moved as KK says.
---Jack

KKTO Roaster.

Koffee Kosmo
It is no coincidence that every coffee roaster design has a form of mixing or agitation of the coffee beans
Even pan roasting

KK
Bezzera Strega: Mazzer Robur Grinder: 5 Box hand grinders: Pullman Tamper Convex: (KKTO) Turbo Oven Home Roaster: CONA Glass Rod Syphon: Pyrex Brewer:

renatoa
Hi KK,

You can't receive PMs, so I ask you here...
Did you seen my thread about vertical TO ?
May I have your opinion on that subject ?

Thank you !
DIY: TO based IR to bean 750g
Moded commercial: Dieckmann RoestMeister, Nesco, popcorn.
TC4ESP, PID controllers, MS6514 USB/Artisan/Apps
Grinder: MBK Feldgrind, mod'ed Porlex to 47 conical burrs, vintage PeDe Dienes

Koffee Kosmo
I am a moderator and can receive PMs
However I am on the other side of the world - and there may be a delay in my reply because my sleep time is your wake time

PS you have a PM
PSS I replied on that thread a few days ago

KK

midwatcha
Ok, I guess I forgot to mention that they do a quick shuffle/shake of the beans 1/2 way thru the roast process...Regardless, considering my brother's pallet for quality coffee is considered to be highly trustworthy & reliable...i'd argue that the agitation is only necessary if you don't have even heat distribution.
Given a convection oven alleviates the heat distribution concerns for the most part, i'd like to argue this method is still worthy of consideration. Personally, i haven't tried my brother's oven roast. Just thought maybe others have used this method & might have some insight on their personal success stories or failures. Simply stating that you must agitate isn't very helpful at the moment.
I get it, it helps produce an even roast. My concerns with a convection oven roast would be there might be a residual odor to the oven. Or even the oily film might make the oven extra dirty over time.
The chafe would be another obvious concern; especially, if it was sucked in to the filters or air vents of a convection oven.
I'll have to scour youtube & get back to ya'll. Maybe, if my wife & baby leave the house for a 1/2 day, i'll give it a shot & report back.

Koffee Kosmo
You can think what you like about agitation but I can assure you that its necessary for the entire roast

Since I don't know you or your brother I cant comment on his taste-bud qualifications
Having said that everyone has a qualification up to the point of ones experience, be it days, years or decades

In my case its decades

To the question of - does coffee impart smell
Yes it does - and also coffee oils will buildup with repeated roasts
Roasting also produces smoke - medium at first crack and lots of billowing smoke at second crack
And chaff

KK

jkoll42
midwatcha wrote:

Ok, I guess I forgot to mention that they do a quick shuffle/shake of the beans 1/2 way thru the roast process...Regardless, considering my brother's pallet for quality coffee is considered to be highly trustworthy & reliable...i'd argue that the agitation is only necessary if you don't have even heat distribution.
Given a convection oven alleviates the heat distribution concerns for the most part, i'd like to argue this method is still worthy of consideration. Personally, i haven't tried my brother's oven roast. Just thought maybe others have used this method & might have some insight on their personal success stories or failures. Simply stating that you must agitate isn't very helpful at the moment.
I get it, it helps produce an even roast. My concerns with a convection oven roast would be there might be a residual odor to the oven. Or even the oily film might make the oven extra dirty over time.
The chafe would be another obvious concern; especially, if it was sucked in to the filters or air vents of a convection oven.
I'll have to scour youtube & get back to ya'll. Maybe, if my wife & baby leave the house for a 1/2 day, i'll give it a shot & report back.

@midwatcha I'm going to be blunt here and if that comes across as being a jerk so be it. There is an amazing amount of information and knowledge of roasting and coffee on this board. There are people far smarter, more advanced and skilled than I am. Everyone here is willing to do whatever they can do to help advance roasting/brewing/building skills.

You have no idea what you're talking about when it comes to coffee yet you throw up endless reddit links. People here can help with the fact that your drum is taking 30 minutes to roast a batch (hint: that's not good), or explain why microwaving your 2 week old refrigerated coffee isn't the best idea, or why oven "roasting" is a bad idea (oh wait a moderator with decades of experience told you that but you decided to check out youtube).

Look if you're trolling it's a solid 8/10. If not please contribute here (not link to data dumps) or actually seek advice from the dozens of experts here to better your coffee experience.

Jon
-Jon
Honey badger 1k, Bunn LPG-2E, Technivorm, Cimbali Max Hybrid, Vibiemme Double Domo V3

midwatcha
Ok, granted, I'm speaking on behalf of my brother who is the one attempting to roast in his convection oven. I haven't personally tried his coffee, so can't say if i'd agree with him that it's worth a shot or not. So, I'm not discrediting a mod's opinion/knowledge/experience by saying i'm going to do more research...even if that means google/youtube/redditt/etc. It's like you said, to attempt to contribute.

If you're talking about any of my other posts, please reply to those because i'm a little lost as to why you'd think i'm "trolling". A data dump is simply a means to regurgitate information that has already been shared in other formats. In my humble opinion it's a way to network & build the community. You're concerns seem a little out in left field to me. Nobody forced you to click on those links.

Regarding the 30 minutes to roast in a drum, well, that's for the entire process start to finish. I could go in more detail, but that's not the purpose of this particular thread. I am certainly interested in learning more about drum roasting though & that's why I shared my data dump of reddit links that I personally posted...to give insight in to my experience. Not to "troll."

For the sake of being "willing to do whatever they can do to help advance roasting/brewing/building skills" wouldn't it be more appropriate to direct you're opinions on my separate threads that are more relevant to your individual concerns? Don't worry though, I definitely don't think you're blunt behavior means that you're acting like a jerk...more like a troll.

Mike
Edited by JackH on 03/04/2017 5:35 AM

allenb

The reason for good bean agitation even with good air circulation is thus:

Each bean radiates heat to another bean during the roasting process, a good portion of the process includes radiation from adjacent walls of a roasting chamber which with stationary beans, only one face of the bean is getting full radiation from the nearby hottest surfaces, air circulation is uneven regardless of how well the convection blower is moving air around plus several other negatives. With this in mind, you cannot end up with anything but a melange roast at best but one might end up with a nice tasting coffee from time to time. This method might suit some people fully and leave no reason to go beyond but if one is seeking to extract all that is possible from a given bean, this is not going to fulfill that end.

Allen
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

midwatcha
Boom. Solid response. Thank you.
Edited by JackH on 03/03/2017 9:15 PM

Jump to Forum: