Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

Koffee Kosmo
10/21/2019 5:00 PM
While you were sleeping I have been active in booting out some spammers along with the posts they tried to sneak past me

NetriX
10/21/2019 2:41 PM
Apologies, fixed it asap! BBQ grill

snwcmpr
10/21/2019 12:35 PM
WOW!! A few minutes ago the site page said "Account Suspended". And would not open the site.

snwcmpr
10/18/2019 2:37 PM
Eth Nat Yirg Idido roasted yesterday. I dropped some off at a friends coffee shop. In a few days he will brew it and tell me what he thinks. We believe my roasts are better than what we buy.

snwcmpr
10/16/2019 2:52 PM
Thank you for all you guys do.

Users Online
Guests Online: 1

Members Online: 1
Ringo

Total Members: 6,199
Newest Member: WyldGrind
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
renatoa - 2.00
allenb - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00
Groveland Hill Roas... - 25.00
renatoa - 2.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Heater controlled Gene CBR-101
Masterkey
Hello,
I have a Gene CBR-101 and I want to control it with Artisan and the software PID that is implemented sinse Version v1.0.0.
I want to realize it with a TC4 + Arduino Uno or a TC4C. Or is there an easier way to control the Gene?

My first question is whether there is a differce between both? Has the TC4C an advantage or disadvantage over the TC4 + Arduino?

Were can I find a documenatation about the TC4 and TC4C. Are there different hardware-versions?

Is there somewhere a specification about that boards and the connections?

How can I control the heater. My plan is to control it with a dimmer or a SSR. What kind of dimmer or SSR can I control with the TC4 or TC4C directly without additional hardware?

I know that there are different kinds of temperature sensors. What kind of sernsors do you recommend?

I know that are a lot of questions. I am looking sinse days to find detailed information about the TC4/C but a lot I found is not up to date.

BR, Masterkey

renatoa
Before investing anything, ask yourself how will you place the beans sensor... is almost an impossible task... almost ;)

Masterkey
First I will try to place it near the Gene sensors.
Are you talking about this:
http://roasthacke...page_id=65
;)

renatoa
Yeah, isn't this piece of hacking tricky enough ? :)
In my local coffee forum (3.378 members) I know only three having the guts for such job...

Masterkey
Anybody here who can help me with my questions about TC4/C?

renatoa
How do you plan to interface the wifi connection from the roasthack to TC4/Arduino ?

All you ask is clearly spec'ed in the TC4 page at mlgp-llc

Masterkey
You can do that with a ESP8266 connected to the TC4/C.

The TC4/C-shields are very expensive. Anybody who has one that is used and does not need it anymore?

JackH
Plenty of TC4 information on this site in the Roastloggers section of the forums and on JimG's site:

http://www.mlgp-l...o-pcb.html

The difference between the TC4C and TC4 shield is that the TC4C combines the TC4 and Arduino all in one package. The TC4 shield plugs into a Arduino which you must purchase.
---Jack

KKTO Roaster.

Masterkey
I have the possibility to get a use TC4C Version 1.32. Is there a disadvantage compared to the new version 1.33. Is it possible to upgrade in to Version 1.33 with soldering something?

JackH
Looks like some minor changes (except for the OT1 and OT2 outputs if you use them).

I guess some SSR devices need more voltage swing and Jim removed the diode to get .6V more. This may be an issue only for certain devices.

From the Google code site for the TC4:

https://code.goog...c4-shield/

Version 1.33 of the TC4C standalone board includes:

High quality ENIG gold surface finish and purple solder mask color
Resistor arrays replace individual 1K's (reduced chip count)
Eliminated diode that had restricted OT1 and OT2 output voltage
Provided 3.3V power source for external components if needed
Changed from 1206 to 0805 chips (for consistency)

I attached the schematics of the new and old version of the OT1/OT2 circuit
JackH attached the following images:
v133.jpg old.jpg

Edited by JackH on 02/15/2017 1:07 AM
---Jack

KKTO Roaster.

walt_in_hawaii
JackH, I am trying to get the latest release of aArtisan as well, but the addy you reference above doesn't seem to work... I just get a 404 error. Could you check it please? I just got my TC4C from Jim a little while ago and still fooling around with it...

aloha,
walt

renatoa
For me it works, check it below as plain text, not link:

Download source  Code
code.google.com / archive / p / tc4-shield

walt_in_hawaii
I found the raw .ino code on Greencardigan's site:

https://github.com/greencardigan/TC4-shield/blob/master/applications/Artisan/aArtisan/trunk/src/aArtisan/aArtisan.ino#L1

does anyone know if this will compile correctly on the TC4C? I'll try it on mine tonight but I don't have access to it right now... I think mine is ver 1.33

JackH
walt_in_hawaii wrote:

JackH, I am trying to get the latest release of aArtisan as well, but the addy you reference above doesn't seem to work... I just get a 404 error. Could you check it please? I just got my TC4C from Jim a little while ago and still fooling around with it...

aloha,
walt

Is that the Google code site or Jim's? Both work for me.

Try clearing your browser's cache.
---Jack

KKTO Roaster.

BenKeith
Unless you plan to use AC fan control, the TC4C should work for you.

Unless Jim has made changes to the TC4C, it does not support the ZCD which is needed to control an AC fan motor or any other inductive load.
You would need to use a Random fire SSR and that requires using a ZCD. To do that, you would need the TC4 Shield and the Arduino UNO board plus the ZCD.

The heater is a resistive load, and you will control that with a Zero Crossing SSR, and no ZCD needed.

Now, as for differences between the TC4C's I don't have a clue, I've never used one or had my hands on one.

As for temp sensors, you should stick with K type thermocouples.
If you have a difficult place to get to, use the beaded wire type. For about $15 you can get one from Fluke that will work just fine. I've been using the same Fluke probe in the bottom of my roast chamber for eight years and it still works fine.
I would not mess with those Chinese probes you get on ebay. Too light duty and cheaply made.
If you have a place to insert them, the metal probes work a little better and not quite as sensitive as the exposed beaded probes.

JackH
BenKeith wrote:

Unless Jim has made changes to the TC4C, it does not support the ZCD which is needed to control an AC fan motor or any other inductive load.

Jim sells a small ZCD board on his site that works with the TC4 and TC4C.
JackH attached the following image:
capture_47.jpg

---Jack

KKTO Roaster.

BenKeith
Well, I guess he has changed the TC4C because when I bought my last TC4 Shield, I asked him about getting the TC4C and he told me the TC4C did not support the ZCD. Since I was using it to control an AC fan I would have to get the TC4 Shield.

However, since the OP only wants to control the heat, it does not matter either way.

Jump to Forum: