bullet2.gif Big Price Drop on Gr...
Hottest Threads
bullet2.gif Dereks 1-2Kg drum... [76]
bullet2.gif 2nd drum roaster [74]
bullet2.gif Rocquette Roaster... [34]
bullet2.gif Another electric ... [30]
bullet2.gif Stop roast before... [27]
Donate to HRO
Please enter your site username (if you have one) and your email address (required) to be sent with this donation for tracking and contact purposes.

Site Username
If you don't have a site username, just enter "Guest"

eMail Address **REQUIRED**

Users Online
bullet2.gif Guests Online: 3

bullet2.gif Members Online: 0

bullet2.gif Total Members: 4,908
bullet2.gif Newest Member: justinthomasleonard
BotSlap Panel
bullet2.gif Last check: 05/24/2017 06:17
bullet2.gif Slap count: 0
bullet2.gif Last checked ID: 5940
View Thread
Homeroasters.org » THE ART OF ROASTING COFFEE » Roasting Coffee
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Is the Hottop REALLY worth the price?
Randy
So I did my taxes this week and I'm getting back a really good refund, 2 grand more than last year...so I thought I would take that windfall and get myself a good roaster...I'm tired of using the whirley pop and I want more consistent results. I'm looking at (or should I say drooling at) the hottop and wondering...it is really worth the price. Two things I hate doing, cooling and chaff removal are all addressed here. I am beyond buying ready roasted coffee again...I'm spoiled with my own roasts. Is the unit, priced over a grand worth the price? How's the customer service? Is there anything comparable that I'm not looking at?
If at first you don't succeed...destroy all evidence that you tried - Steven Wright

Randy G
"How's the customer service?" he asks! Roflmao

Literally.. I AM Hottop customer service. Check the website, download the owners manual and KN-8828B-2K+ addendum, read through the resources o which model is best for you, look at the availability of parts as well as the repair procedures. Contact me through the Hottop e-mail if you have any questions.

Life's too short to drink bad coffee.

http://www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
renatoa
Not worth, imo.
Better build one, or, if lacking skills, ask people what they can sell for one grand, would be surprised to find.
Alternatives in the same price ballpark: Huky and Roastilino
Three times cheaper and enough capable after you learn mastering them: Gene and Behmor.
20 times cheaper and easy to build in one hour: SC-TO combo, the next step from popcorn.

Randy
yeah I have no interest in building my own...and the behmor has issues with the chaff...one guy said he had to vacuum the drum every time he used it. Buying someone else's build gives me safety concerns. What I like about the hottop is it is a little "mini me" of the professional roasters and it may seem stupid or trivial, but I want something that will look nice out on the counter. But you did mention a roaster I'm not familiar with and I will look into it.
And for the hottop service rep...10 points for speaking out, customer service is foremost on any product I purchase and you have given me a positive impression of hottop, thank you.
If at first you don't succeed...destroy all evidence that you tried - Steven Wright
x1

rgrosz78
I started with a Behmor in 2010, and moved up to the Hottop after two years. I made significant modifications to the Hottop so I could have complete control over the roaster with my laptop.

I have had a few minor issues, and Randy G did a great job in assisting me. If my Hottop died tomorrow, I would purchase the latest model ASAP. It includes the ability to hook it up to your laptop, and use the free artisan software to control the roaster.
Life is too short to drink bad wine ... or bad coffee!

www.softwarepolish.com
Randy
I've looked into a few more roasters and am still leaning toward the Hottop. When you say you've made significant modifications could you elaborate on that? How repairable is this unit? Is it something you can repair yourself or must it be sent out?
I told my daughter I was getting ready to spend over a grand for a coffee roaster and she thought it was a great idea...lol...I've even got my kids spoiled with home roasted coffee!Grin

HoldTheOnions
Just FYI, if don't care about new, this one for sale http://www.home-b...44538.html

Might be able to talk him down a bit for as long as been for sale.

Randy
HoldTheOnions wrote:

Just FYI, if don't care about new, this one for sale http://www.home-b...44538.html

Might be able to talk him down a bit for as long as been for sale.

Thanks for the info, but if this person paid 1600.00 he got robbed as I can get the same model with free shipping for 1100.00.

renatoa
HoTtop for $1100 ?! Shock
Where ?!

snwcmpr
I sold mine a few years ago for four.
Backwoods Roaster
"I wish I could taste as well as I wish I could roast."

Randy G
That is a KN-8828B-2K+ which retails for $1600. The KN-8828B-2K retails for $1100.

rgrosz78
Randy wrote:I've looked into a few more roasters and am still leaning toward the Hottop. When you say you've made significant modifications could you elaborate on that? How repairable is this unit? Is it something you can repair yourself or must it be sent out?

I started with the stock Hottop B-2K, then added variac, thermocouples, arduino with TC4C. Easily spent $400 on the additions, but I learned a lot.

My recommendation is to buy that Hottop B-2K+ from H-B. That is a great price, and it is ready to hook up to your computer to run the artisan software.

www.softwarepolish.com
rgrosz78
renatoa wrote:

HoTtop for $1100 ?! Shock
Where ?!

You can get the Hottop-B2K for only $800 at HB. But you'll have to make major modifications if you want computer-controlled roasting:
http://www.home-b...45335.html

www.softwarepolish.com
renatoa
For EU, these are dream prices... though, still inflated for a 250g roaster... my TO was less than $50 in parts, and another $50 electronics

Randy G
renatoa wrote:

For EU, these are dream prices... though, still inflated for a 250g roaster... my TO was less than $50 in parts, and another $50 electronics

While I do understand that not everyone wants, needs, desires, nor can afford a Hottop, or will ever have one for any number of a myriad of reasons. And if you are getting the roasts you like from your homemade roaster that is wonderful. On the other hand, stating that the Hottop carries an "inflated" price is not a fair statement. We all give or deny value in comparisons such as this across a wide range of consumer goods.

Randy
Well I've researched all the roasters within my price range (and a few definitely NOT within my price range lol). I've decided on the Hottop B2k+. I don't think I'll be using the artisan software anytime soon, but I hope to eventually get to that point so might as well spend the money now rather than later.
Buying a used item is always a concern for me...you don't know how well it was cared for, how much use it got and what might be ready to give out on it. If it were priced under a grand I might give it more consideration but having a brand new unit, under full warranty...worth the $500 for me. I'm a fanatic about my kitchen equipment and not knowing how it was cared for just makes me nuts.
I have my IRS2GO app on my phone and as soon as my refund is approved and I know the money is coming I'm ordering it.
Now the question is from where?
Most vendors have the same price and free shipping like hottop, but most vendors will throw in several pounds of coffee ect...
Anyone know of any deals when you purchase?

turtle
My first roaster was a Hottop Model B (straight B) that had been lit up by the previous owner not watching it (ie buned).

They are rather simple and user fixable as I can attest to as this little B model has morphed through several iterations landing at a B2K + model a month ago.

All "fixes", modifications, and upgrades entailed tearing the entire roaster down to the chassis each time.

Not a big job and a full rebuild should not take a full day.

Almost all of the parts are available with the exception of the early thermo B model control panel so steer clear of that older model unless you are buying it to take apart and modify heavily (i.e. upgrade to a different control panel).

After using my old roaster beefed up to the plus model (the $1600 one) for a little over a month I can say that I am impressed as much as I was with my own customization/modifications on the original roaster.

The old girl:

i1066.photobucket.com/albums/u414/turtle-web/food/coffee/Hottop/mods/1st_roast_6-4-2014_zpse5545845.jpg

The new shiney:

i1066.photobucket.com/albums/u414/turtle-web/food/coffee/Hottop/mods/2k_plus-3.jpg
Mick - "Drinking in life one cup at a time"
"I'd rather be roasting coffee"

Roaster 1: San Franciscan SF-1
Roaster 2: Hottop B-2K+
Roaster 3: Behmor 1600 +
Grinders: Modified Super Jolly - Forte BG (x3)
Pour over: Hario - Bee House - Chemex - Kalita - Bodum
Drip: Bunn CWTF15-1 & CW15-TC (commercials)
Espresso: Pasquini Livia 90 auto
Vacuum: Cona - Bodum
Press: Frieling - Bodum Colombia

snwcmpr
Randy G wrote:

renatoa wrote:

While I do understand that not everyone wants, needs, desires, nor can afford a Hottop, or will ever have one for any number of a myriad of reasons. And if you are getting the roasts you like from your homemade roaster that is wonderful. On the other hand, stating that the Hottop carries an "inflated" price is not a fair statement. We all give or deny value in comparisons such as this across a wide range of consumer goods.

Yes to that.

I sold the HT because it wasn't for me. No other reason. I couldn't get a roast I liked. But many others here have it working fine for them. I probably could have asked for more, but the guy that got it seems to be really happy with it. I treated it well and was open about the few mods I did.

So, a general statement saying a used roaster is a bad idea ... not always so.

Ken in NC
Backwoods Roaster
"I wish I could taste as well as I wish I could roast."

Randy
[/quote]So, a general statement saying a used roaster is a bad idea ... not always so.

Ken in NC[/quote]

Not at all...just not for me...I've bought many things used, just not my cars or my equipment...it's an CDO thing (that's OCD in alphabetical order as it SHOULD be)

Randy
So far HomeRoastCoffee.com has the best deal with the roaster. TWELVE pounds of coffee...pick your own. They were the first company I bought beans from and I still buy from them and am very happy with the beans. I have bought from happy mug and sweet marias as well. No one offers a deal this good that I have found and the price is the same, free shipping and they give you a 4 pack of stand up pouches and a pound (their pick) of coffee on your next order.
No work tomorrow as we are preparing for a noreaster blizzard and lucky me, eastern Long Island is predicted to be the worst hit area on the east coast. I have 4 cords of wood, a generator (that I never use) and since I'm a bit of a prepper a basement full of food.
I think I will make some triple cinnamon scones to go with my latest roast for tomorrow...

Jump to Forum: