Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

CharcoalRoaster
11/04/2019 1:58 AM
+1 snwcmpr

snwcmpr
11/03/2019 2:16 AM
Can we make the shoutbox UNAVAILABLE until a member has a certain number of posts?

allenb
11/01/2019 2:20 AM
Funopt, please post in the gas and electric heat sources forum

Funopt
10/30/2019 5:17 AM
Can someone help me for using forced propane burner as my heating element. I rather want to use lpg than electric. Do you think it would work

snwcmpr
10/22/2019 5:31 AM
Thanks to you all....... I was not sleeping ... I stayed awake worried about it all. :)

Users Online
Guests Online: 3

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 6,246
Newest Member: cabbar
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
renatoa - 2.00
JitterzZ - 2.01
renatoa - 2.00
allenb - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Cutting a Bake-A-Round
BenKeith
Has anyone cut a Bake-A-Round?
If so, what technique did you use.
I cut one in half, but ruined one half and got one good half. I want to cut another but looking to see if anyone else has a better method.

jkoll42
How did you try to cut it?
-Jon
Honey badger 1k, Bunn LPG-2E, Technivorm, Cimbali Max Hybrid, Vibiemme Double Domo V3

BenKeith
I didn't "TRY", I cut it in half, I just ruined one half.

i903.photobucket.com/albums/ac239/BenKeith/BAKEAROUND_zpsgzrspplb.jpg

This half is fine.

It was just one royal pain and took some experimenting. The other half I tried fire polishing the cut edge and it cracked where a chip was at.
I'm just wondering if anyone has cut them and how they did it.

I cut it on the lathe with a diamond wheel in a die grinder I attached to the lathe.
Edited by BenKeith on 01/24/2017 4:58 AM

walt_in_hawaii
Oh man, I wouldn't want to be the one to try setting it up in the chuck :)
I've noticed a considerable amount of runout in the glass and the bottom cut on mine doesn't seem to be exactly perpendicular. But, hell, I hate working with glass so I just put up with the uneven-ness. Nice going on your cut, gutsy! My toolpost grinder is a 4 1/2" hand grinder that I made a fitting for so I can mount it on my toolpost...

oldgearhead
Why cut it?
No oil on my beans...

BenKeith
I didn't chuck it in the jaws. I cut three 3/4" round disc, center drilled them with 1/2" bit so I could run an all-thread rod through them and use nuts to hold them in place. Then turned them so one would go inside in the center and one on each end with a 1/8" flange. I put duct tape in the center around the inside and outside. I chucked the 1/2" rod on one end. I put my drill chuck in the tail stock and let it hold the other end. I didn't snug the drill check, just a loose fit so the rod could spin but not mover around.
I mount the die grind on the cross slide so I could feed it very slowly. I had the lathe spinning on it's slowest speed and the die grind at 28,000 rpm.

Had I not tried to fire polish the one, both would have been fine. There were a couple of small chips on the edge and I thought I could melt them out. I thought wrong!. It cracked at the chip from too much heat.
The other one I just hand sanded the edge, made sure there were no imperfections of chips so the edge is nice and round. I finished it with 600 grit so it's nice an smooth.

Now I've just got to decide if I want to try my luck again. I have one more I would really like to cut and was hoping someone else would have a better way.

The Reason for cutting it, 250 grams is about the max I want from this roaster, I don't need or want that tall of a roast chamber. Cutting it in half still gives me a 4x7 cylinder.
Edited by BenKeith on 01/24/2017 9:12 AM

walt_in_hawaii
hahahahaha, Oldgearhead is just feisty cuz his roast size is limited by the amount of space inside his bake a round.... due to his chaff separator taking up room, last time I saw his beautiful roaster. OGH, I've always thought you could invert your chaff collector the other way to make more room in there, if/when you need it. Personally I think anything over 500g is too big for what I can consume comfortably before it starts going stale... but I'm not there yet :(

oldgearhead
I roast, cool, and separate 350-500 grams of green coffee in one Bake-A-round. I haven't used the 'chaff' collector' for several years.
I found it much easier to roast and cool in the roast chamber. At the end of cooling the chaff will all be on top of the roasted product. I just vacuum it off with my little shop vac.
I usually roast 425-430 gram loads, because more will not fit in one Mason jar. I've found the max for a Bake-A-Round is 500 grams not because of heat limits but cooling volume. However, if roasting a dry-processed coffee that produces a lot of chaff, I am forced to roast smaller loads. With wet-processed green coffee I have no problem with 300-500 grams.

Edited by oldgearhead on 01/25/2017 1:51 AM
No oil on my beans...

snwcmpr
After cutting and/or flame polishing, have you altered the tempered glass such that it is a problem later? Just thinking.
I would think you can get the glass size you want by ordering it, and the tempering would be more guaranteed.
--------------
Backwoods Roaster
"I wish I could taste as well as I wish I could roast."

As Abraham Lincoln said "Do not trust everything you read on the internet".

Want to Help?
By donating you can ensure that HR will continue to be open for years to come. Expenses are 100% transparent and can be viewed publicly at all times. You can find more information on donations and why we request them by reading up on the forum topic here. Thank you.

BenKeith
Cutting it does nothing to alter the glass, other than making a 14" long tube shorter.
Flame polishing removes any small flaws and sharp edges that would make it subject to crack extremely easily. Hand sanding will do the same thing, just takes a whole lot longer and more elbow grease. If you just cut it and did nothing to smooth and radius the cut edge, you can rest assured, it will most likely crack.
Flame polishing smaller, thicker pieces is not problem. Thin pieces the size of the Bake-A-Round really need to be done in a kiln. Since I don't have one and even at 7", it's too tall to fit in my forge, I figured I would try one with a torch. If I had been a little more patient, it probably would have worked.
If I could find a place to order a piece a Pyrex cylinder 3.5" to 4" x7" delivered to my door for $20, I would have. Before it's brought up, the Coleman globes are too big in diameter for what I want. I have a couple of those.

Mine was way taller than I need, and looked like s*** sticking up like that. Plus it was cumbersome as the devil to handle and I wanted it shorter, so I made it shorter. I plan to build two more roasters this size and will be cutting the other one I have to make them also.
Edited by BenKeith on 01/25/2017 7:50 AM

snwcmpr
BenKeith wrote:
Before it's brought up, the Coleman globes are too big in diameter for what I want. I have a couple of those.

There are quite a few different globes, and some older ones that might work.
Contact Mike at Old Coleman Parts.
https://www.oldco...parts.com/
He might know and might have something you want.

I know 288 globes are smaller, I have one I don't need, but it's not small enough for your need. I am thinking some of the propane (profane) globes would work.

There is a whole forum just about Coleman Collectors. So to say Coleman Globes .... That is in itself a big subject.

Ken in NC
--------------
Backwoods Roaster
"I wish I could taste as well as I wish I could roast."

As Abraham Lincoln said "Do not trust everything you read on the internet".

Randy G
Wouldn't it have been easy to sand it while it was turning in the lathe using much the same setup you had for cutting? Maybe with two or three internal disks for stability, one end disc (on the end not being sanded), and your light hand pressure while sanding to keep the tube from sliding off> Something like that..

Life's too short to drink bad coffee.

http://www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
BenKeith
Yea, probably a 100 times easier. I had the one disc snug fitting in the center to provide support so the two halves didn't drop together when it cut through, so it was blocking the edge. I could have moved the center one in to clear the edge after cutting it and easily sanded them. Had I thought of that, I would have, and I will on the next one, thanks.
My mind set was on flame polishing them and when that didn't work, I just started hand sanding the other one to see how that would work. It was working fine and I just kept sanding, didn't even think about putting it back in the lathe.

RedAce
I chose a french press caraffe for my fluidbed and used a Dremmel rotary tool with a diamond cutting disc to cut the bottom and the spouted top. Both cuts were done in about 10 minutes in the kitchen sink while using the faucet for cooling. The same diamond disc was used to smooth the cuts a bit. I can hardly imagine a quicker, easier and more reliable way to do it. Using a lathe to cut glass seems kinda... well... not smart...

BenKeith
Actually, when you look at the setup I had, it's not as dumb as it sounds. There is no way to match the precision and control I had using the lathe over cutting it by hand. I actually tried that on the piece that cracked.

The crack in the piece I tried to fire polish was only about three inches so I used that piece to experiment some more with to try and cut the cracked piece off.
I saw on the e-net where they tied a heavy cord soaked in diesel fuel around a cylinder, set it on fire and that broke it perfectly under the string. That must have not been Pyrex, thinner or something because I tried that about a 1/2 dozen different ways and it didn't work.

I tried using the die grinder by hand to cut it and it was creating a lot of small chips, especially on the inside when it went through. I taped off the inside and outside where I wanted to cut and that helped the chipping situation. It cut it, but no where near as straight and clean as it did using the lathe. So, now if I want a glass roast chamber about four inches tall, I have one.

Jump to Forum: