Josh Woodrow - 10.00

View Thread

Homeroasters.org » BUILDING A ROASTER » Fluidbed Roaster
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Modular Fluidbed Roaster
PhilH
Hi Brandon

Nice concept. Looking forward to following your progress.
I couldnt lift the beans with one VC motor on my 5kg FB, so I had to use two motors (wired and plumbed in parallel) as per Roaster Robs info. My understanding of the ratings is that they rate "in H2O" at zero flow, and cfm with no restrictions/backpressure. In the real world a 100"H2O / 100cfm motor will have a tradeoff which they show on the performance curves. Depending on the restrictions higher cfms will translate to lower in H2O pressure so will depend a lot on the specific design of RC/perf plate/bean height in chamber etc
Also be careful to eliminate all leaks on the hot box / high pressure side of perf plate

As an aside IMHO the peripheral and tangential bypass motors are harder to fabricate in a low-noise enclosure whereas the thru flow designs can be fully enclosed which can significantly reduce dBs which helps if youre hoping to hear FC during the roast. just a thought you may want to consider . . .

Just a few other 10c worth to throw into the discussion

14kW Electric will be challenging
- cost of providing High Power wiring (likely to need 3Phase ?), element design/fabrications/risk of element burnout etc
- Gas is much easier IMHO
The 2942 is a fantastic choice and burns a beautiful blue flame across a wide range of pressures/kWs and I have yet to have a flameout. It does have a weird thread type (M20x1mm) which I struggled to find a suitable adapter. It will throw a flame of around 8-10 inches long so allow for a little distance between the burner and the perf plate to allow a little mixing avoid the flame actually reaching the perf plate and scorching the beans. I run approx 3-20psi at the burner off a 9kg bottle. This needs a good high capacity regulator and if the bottle is cool at start of roast or less than approx 25% full it will self cool which affects evaporation speed and can struggle to hold up a good supply pressure. Just another thing to add to the list of challenges :)

You'll also need to think thru the cooling puzzle. I tried a 1hp workshop dust extractor blower but found it too weak. Im using a 2hp unit and can cool a 5.1kg (green) load to ambient in around 2 1/2 minutes.

I trust this is helpful info

rgds Phil
Dalla Corte Mini, Compak K10F, 1.2kg FB LPG/PID FB, 5kg FB LPG/PID

allenb
PhilH wrote:
I couldnt lift the beans with one VC motor on my 5kg FB, so I had to use two motors (wired and plumbed in parallel) as per Roaster Robs info. My understanding of the ratings is that they rate "in H2O" at zero flow, and cfm with no restrictions/backpressure. In the real world a 100"H2O / 100cfm motor will have a tradeoff which they show on the performance curves. Depending on the restrictions higher cfms will translate to lower in H2O pressure so will depend a lot on the specific design of RC/perf plate/bean height in chamber etc
Also be careful to eliminate all leaks on the hot box / high pressure side of perf plate

Good points on vacuum motors/blowers. Yes, unfortunately, vacuum blowers spec sheets typically don't show cfm at X static pressure curves but typically state static presssure at zero (deadhead) flow which is a worthless number since with our coffee roasters, we need to know static pressure at varying flow rates.
It's also unfortunate that we haven't yet come up with charts showing a preferred range of cfm flow rates for roasters built to handle 1/2 lb, 1lb, 2, 3... up to 10 or so lbs so we could view vacuum blower performance curve charts and ensure sufficient static at the needed flow rate.
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

Jump to Forum: