bullet2.gif Oreck XL blower and ...
Hottest Threads
bullet2.gif Building a drum r... [146]
bullet2.gif Bobby M15's drum [76]
bullet2.gif Baby George Forem... [53]
bullet2.gif 500g (hopefully) ... [34]
bullet2.gif Big Price Drop on... [29]
Donate to HRO
Please enter your site username (if you have one) and your email address (required) to be sent with this donation for tracking and contact purposes.

Site Username
If you don't have a site username, just enter "Guest"

eMail Address **REQUIRED**

Users Online
bullet2.gif Guests Online: 4

bullet2.gif Members Online: 0

bullet2.gif Total Members: 5,033
bullet2.gif Newest Member: mraphael
BotSlap Panel
bullet2.gif Last check: 09/24/2017 06:49
bullet2.gif Slap count: 0
bullet2.gif Last checked ID: 6141
View Thread
Homeroasters.org » BUILDING A ROASTER » Fluidbed Roaster
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
6" square fluidbed build
JSA Coffee
What I have so far is 2 pieces of 6063 1/8" wall aluminum tube. The total length of the roast chamber is 24 inches. By reading the forum's, I guestimate my perf plate needs to be about 6 inches by 1.5 inches, which is 25 percent of the area. I am going to have a handle welded on, as well as the 45 degree plate to the perf plate. Since the perf plate I have is stainless, it will have to bolt on.

The burner is a 12 inch piece of the same tube. I am going to have guide plates welded on here to seat the roast chamber. For a seal, I am planning on using rope gasket commo ly used in fire place doors. For ease of fit and use, I ordered a Sievert torch tip. The air flow for now will come from a 10 gallon shop vac. I am hopeful for 3-4 pound batches, but I may have the chamber too short

JSA Coffee
I received the torch, and have an adapter for the threads on order for it. I ordered a vac motor, but I am not quite sure this one will work.

https://www.kleen...ArRC8P8HAQ

I think I might need this flow thru motor to make life easier.
http://www.ebay.c...Sw8w1X-SWk

Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction with this.

BenKeith
Don't know the specs but design wise either will work. Side exhaust or through the motor exhaust doesn't matter. Either one will have to be mounted inside a sealed enclosure with an outlet going to your heater. Just build you a one foot plywood or MDF cube , bore a 2" hole in one side and use some Permatex Copper silicon sealant and glue the face of the vacuum with it's inlet centered over your hole. Let it cure for 24 hours and it will stay there till the cows come home. You don't need any kind of fasteners, brackets/supports to hold the motor. Drill you another hole the size of the pipe you plan to use in another side. For a much more efficient discharge, you need to make some type of a tapered/funnel inlet inside the box for the discharge air. To help allow room for that, mount your vacuum motor off center, away from the discharge hole.
I have 12 side discharge vacuum motors I mounted like this probably 30 years ago in my flow bench and they are still holding just fine
Edited by BenKeith on 01/02/2017 07:56
x1

JSA Coffee
Thanks BenKeith. That's the guidance I was hoping to get. You ROCK!!

BenKeith
If one vacuum motor comes up short on power, you can just throw another motor in. Two motors can be wired in parallel for 120VAC use or in series for 240VAC use.
If that don't do it, you can do like I did and just keep on adding until you get what you want. Back when I built my flow bench, I was building super charged, 600+C.I. engines and wound up using 12 to get 1,200 CFM @ 20 inches WC.
Edited by BenKeith on 01/02/2017 14:18

JSA Coffee
Using the formula I found here in one of the posts about the perf plate, for a 6 inch square roast chamber, I should have 4 rows of 1/8 inch holes, with a distance of .310 between each hole. Is that correct? If I linked it correctly, it should be a layout of my perf plate.

https://cdn.shopi...0813278733

JSA Coffee
Bueller? Bueller? Bueller?

jkoll42
lol -

Sorry missed the last post. That looks about right to me but it's worth testing to be sure it has the movement you want. One thing I found helpful for testing before actually committing to metal is buying those industrial floor tiles and drilling them. I don't know if they're technically linoleum but the big square ones you would find in an industrial setting. HD/Lowes sells them individually for effectively nothing and they drill really good. Just don't bend them bcs they have no structural integrity that way. I'm by no means a air roaster expert but when I was playing around with it I made some videos with an acrylic square chamber that if nothing else are interesting and possible useful for you. I'm just putting the link below to the general channel - they are the oldest ones. Maybe it will help

https://www.youtu...l42/videos

Jon
-Jon
Honey badger 1k, Bunn LPG-2E, Technivorm, Cimbali Max Hybrid, Vibiemme Double Domo V3

JackH
It was Jon's day off.
---Jack

KKTO Roaster.

jkoll42
Every couple of years I take a few hundred jazzyhands
-Jon
Honey badger 1k, Bunn LPG-2E, Technivorm, Cimbali Max Hybrid, Vibiemme Double Domo V3

JSA Coffee
Jon,

Thanks for the response. I looked at the videos with the square chamber, and it looks like your angle was alot steeper than 45 degrees. Did you find better roasting at that slope?

allenb
JSA Coffee wrote:

Using the formula I found here in one of the posts about the perf plate, for a 6 inch square roast chamber, I should have 4 rows of 1/8 inch holes, with a distance of .310 between each hole. Is that correct? If I linked it correctly, it should be a layout of my perf plate.

https://cdn.shopi...0813278733

One check to make for verification of getting things close is calculating percent total open area. Add up the surface area of one 1/8" hole times total number of holes. Should be around 14% of total perf plate surface area. Obviously, if any other areas vary from spec then this might need to change as well. As in plate angle, in-line versus staggered perforation pattern etc...

Allen
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

jkoll42
I did a 45 and 60. Personally I feel the 45 looked better but I never fired either situation. Just screwing around with bean movement. Strongly encourage the small investment in acrylic and floor tile to see bean movement before build. The center airflow looked like hell.
-Jon

JSA Coffee
Life took me away from this build for a little bit. Allen, I will have to check my math this weekend to see where I am at with it. Before I stopped working on it, I had about 3 pounds in the chamber, and the vac motors were blowing the bean chamber off of the base, so I have it wrong somewhere.

Thanks Jon. I went with 45 degrees, so hopefully I won't regret it. If so, then time to break out the grinder and try again.

Jump to Forum: