Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

snwcmpr
10/18/2019 2:37 PM
Eth Nat Yirg Idido roasted yesterday. I dropped some off at a friends coffee shop. In a few days he will brew it and tell me what he thinks. We believe my roasts are better than what we buy.

snwcmpr
10/16/2019 2:52 PM
Thank you for all you guys do.

JackH
10/15/2019 2:02 AM
They seem to be after the shoutbox. They have been removed. I don't see anything in the forums.

snwcmpr
10/14/2019 3:27 PM
We have been hacked. A whole lot of posts that have filled up the whole forum.

snwcmpr
10/10/2019 4:49 AM
Honduras Royal Reserve today.

Users Online
Guests Online: 4

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 6,196
Newest Member: donfromindy
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
renatoa - 2.00
allenb - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00
Groveland Hill Roas... - 25.00
renatoa - 2.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
First roast ever
philippe
So I roasted coffee for the first time in my life today.

I bought a Gene Café from Pre-Umber a few weeks ago. I installed my venting, OCR through Roastlogger (C920 webcam) and bean cooling setup. I also setup a mic to hear the cracks better through a software called Audacity.

Coffee roasted: Colombia Sierra Nevada GR1 FTO
This a a Grade 1 wet processed certified fair trade, organic coffee.
Region: Sierra Nevada
Sub region: Santa Marta
Process: Wet Process
Grade: 1
Varietal: Typica
Drying: Patio and Dryer
Elevation: 1100-1350 meters
Screen Size: 15+
Cupping Notes: Very clean with sweet acidity and dark chocolate.
Profile used: preheat to 250 celcius, load beans full heat the whole time.
Total roast time was around 16:00 at which point I dumped the beans and cooled externally.
Mass before: 110g
Mass after: 87g

I think first crack was around 8:00. I had a hard time hearing when first crack started. I wasn’t able to hear when it ended and not at all when 2nd crack started. I read that going for a bigger batch might help.

I recorded the whole thing:
https://youtu.be/...

Here is the graph from RoastLogger. Ignore the pink bottom line:
https://goo.gl/ph...grof11KZq7

The roast level I ended up with seems pretty close to the beans I have been using for a while. I will let my newly roasted beans rest for a day or two before I test them out.

I know that hearing cracks on the gene while you have the dryer hose attached is a problem for quite a few people who have shared their experiences on the forum. Roasting outside is not an option for me this time of year in Quebec, Canada (-20 celcius and snow Grin). I will try to get the mic closer next time and maybe try a bigger batch too.

All in all, what do you think of my process? What mistakes did I make?

Thanks for your input!
Philippe

JackH
Hello Philippe!

I am not familiar with the Gene Café but it sounds like you are getting the first crack at the right time. Colombia is one of my favorites and seems very forgiving and the best coffee for beginners to try.

The proof is in the taste and it sounds like you are happy with it!
---Jack

KKTO Roaster.

allenb
Hey Philippe,
The Gene Cafe is capable of roasting excellent coffee from all the positive posts we've seen. Let us know how things go with your Gene roasting from here forward and post any questions you've got.

Allen
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

ginny
Nice video, thank you. I can just about smell that grassy smell as you move toward 1st crack.

you will not really hear much between 1st and 2nd but perhaps where 2nd starts. do not be too concerned about hearing the cracks as you have the best view using your Gene Cafe.

I would roast more beans in a batch size but otherwise it looks great and thanks fo posting.

ginny

christmas tree

Jump to Forum: