bullet2.gif Last checked ID: 6762
Donations
View Thread
Homeroasters.org » THE ART OF ROASTING COFFEE » Roasting Profiles
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Profile for popper after modify
pandiani
The modify done, thanks to the forum homeroasters friends, works perfectly but I can not hear the crack, or rather, I feel one or two after 13 minutes, at a temperature of 205 degrees celsius,
First having only modify the temperature controller, (bypass) without separate control of ventilation and heat, I had a the crack, which also lasted two minutes. Why not now? Where am I wrong?

Timing, and roasting temperatures made:
1 m 65,2m 74, 3m 83, 4m 100, 5m 110 6m 123, 7m 133, 8m 146,9m 159, 10m 172, 11m 184, 12m 197, 13m 2051 C., 14m 208,15m 220 stop heat
16m 70, 17m 40.
I must say that the result was pretty good. Smells good, and discreet color uniformity. I have not tasted, I wait two days still
pandiani attached the following image:
wp_20161127_17_45_24_pro.jpg

btreichel
Sometimes 1st crack can be hard to hear. Since you can see the color, and smell the coffee, use those to stop your roast. My primary question when thinking about stopping the roast (dropping) is ' does this smell like the coffee I want to drink, or does it need another 5 to 15 seconds'

pandiani
In fact I set the color. Maybe it could be the quality of coffee? I ask. My is a hypothesis. Next time i try with Ethiopia Sidamo gr.2. However the color can you evaluate the still no scent.
Thank you

allenb
You're much too timid with the heat! You're going to bore the coffee to death during the first 10 minutes. Coffee prefers to get to 100 C (bean temperature) somewhere around the first 2 minutes and then see the rate of rise back off from there to achieve yellow by minute 4 or up to 6 or so max. I've had stellar roasts with a 7 minute to yellow with a very high moisture content Indonesian but most coffees will come out flat if you extend the drying too long.

Please read this post for a good starting point for a roasting profile that was compiled from a post Seedlings put together a while back. Feel free to experiment on the theme as much as you like but at least this will give you means of comparing a proven generic profile that works against any other curves you attempt.

http://forum.home...post_28404

The last paragraph of the post, stating you should shoot for at least 2 min of development even with a light roast is not good advice as I regularly get fantastic roasts with no more than 1 to 1 1/2 minute development time after 1C on extra light roasts.

**For light roasts where there may only be between 15 or 20 degrees from onset of first crack to finish, one should try and allow at a minimum 2+ minutes for proper development.

Allen
Edited by allenb on 11-29-2016 13:17
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

pandiani
Thanks Allen, and summary,
100 in 2 minutes
150 4/5 minutes
190 / 210 for 5/11 minutes, in this range there will be the 1C
Then again 2 minutes, about, after the end of the 1C.
Me, I get it all right?
This to end toasting before 2C, which is what I want.

allenb
From the post I linked to:

The following basic profile is a good place to start for anyone not already familiar with roasting:

-4 to 5 minutes to yellow (300F)*

-4 to 5 more minutes to start of first crack (380-410F)*

-2 to 4 additional minutes to end of roast)**

Then again 2 minutes, about, after the end of the 1C.
Me, I get it all right?

No, not 2 minutes after end of 1C. 2 minutes after start of 1C.

But remember, this suggestion is a generic starting place for a profile. Also, make note that it isn't suggesting that taking the roast to 2 minutes past 1C should get your coffee to the roast level you'll want. You'll have to supply the amount of heat needed to achieve the roast level your want after that amount of time past the start of 1C.

Allen
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

pandiani
Yes, I realize that is a generic starting point of departure, then according to my taste of'll modify. Meanwhile, understand that there was no 1C because I was shy with the heat at the beginning, it is already an important thing.
I thought roasting slowly and for many minutes was the best thing, however, now, I realize that to obtain good roast with popper, it takes 10 to 14 minutes, approximately, and not 16/18 as I thought , and that at the beginning you have to get to 100 degrees in 2 minutes and not 4 as I did.
I'll try, even if you already know that your suggestion is right, and you know why? The coffee I drank this morning, it is flat !!

BenKeith
My basic process is very simple and something I would recommend you do.
First, get a halogen light you can place to shine directly on the beans in the roaster. This is so you can clearly see color changes. Make sure it's some kind of a bulb that is considered a "Day Light" bulb. 5,000 to 6,000 kelvin so it does not change the colors.
When I start with a new bean that I plan to roast light, just past first crack, I normally start with the beans getting the most pale, their lightest color, in four minutes.
Next I look for them to get that deep cream color in five and start picking up the tan colors in six.
A rolling first crack (not just the first one or two snaps) I want in about 9.5 minutes.
Then end of the roast is approx. 11.5 minutes.
After sampling the roast, I adjust the times to what I feel the roast needed. I do this in 15 second intervals. For instance, instead of pale being at 4:00 minutes, it make it 3:45 or 4:15. Fifteen second changes can make a very noticeable difference in flavor.

As the roast reaches each of these key points, I'm paying very close attention to how it smells, before, through and after each. Learning to use the smell, you can pickup up on where you want to adjust each point to enhance the flavor at that point.
Also understand, this is not something you are going to learn in just a few roast. It requires practice and close attention to each and every roast. Over time it will start clicking in, then it gets easier each roast. That's when you have become a coffee bean roaster.
I was dumb to all this when I started so I wasted a couple of years roasting junk and thinking I was roasting coffee before I learned.
Edited by BenKeith on 12-01-2016 02:41

pandiani
Where can I find a color map, to better understand the roast stages?

BenKeith
http://legacy.swe...gree-roast This might help you some.

I'm sure others on here can tell you where you can order a color chart/chips.

pandiani
Starting d all your tips I got a decent result.
In two minutes I arrived at 100 C, 5 minutes I arrived at 150 C, 10 minutes at 200 C and was started on 1C, which is finished to 12m 30s.
I finished the last crack off. I was 13 minutes at 175 C, 14 minutes at 70 C, 15 minutes was 38 C, finally at 16 was 31.5 C.
In how many minutes I have to lower the temperature? They are fine my cooling times. I think I've got a roaster City, the smell is very pleasant, now rest in an open container, and the dark, I drink it between at least 48 hours.
What do you think of my time? Where can I improve?
pandiani attached the following images:
wp_20161203_15_49_16_pro.jpg wp_20161203_15_49_01_pro.jpg

BenKeith
The only thing missing is a good fresh piece of Panettone or Pandoro.

Will2
It looks like a very good!
Take another look here:

http://forum.home...post_59795

Try, for example, this profile:

up.picr.de/25371052ab.png
Edited by ginny on 12-04-2016 03:07
Viliam

pandiani
Thank you for your compliments.
I could not resist, and this morning I have tasted.
I would say excellent, but still not great.
Surely, I have found a good base to work on and make
small corrections and see what changes

btreichel
Cool, now spend some time roasting and drinking with beans from different origins!

pandiani
Hello everyone, after more than two years of work (I have not always roasted with my popper sometimes I bought already roasted), after several repairs made to the popper, fuse welding and more, I decided to send him retired ...
I bought a Gene CBR 101.
I think it's another level but my popper will be missed.
The experience with the popper will serve me a lot, I hope only my new Gene, will arrive in three days, both reliable, I read things not very nice on him.
But this is another story ....
Thanks again to all of you who have helped me, maybe I will read you on the threed of the Gene ...

Marco

Jump to Forum: