Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

CharcoalRoaster
11/04/2019 1:58 AM
+1 snwcmpr

snwcmpr
11/03/2019 2:16 AM
Can we make the shoutbox UNAVAILABLE until a member has a certain number of posts?

allenb
11/01/2019 2:20 AM
Funopt, please post in the gas and electric heat sources forum

Funopt
10/30/2019 5:17 AM
Can someone help me for using forced propane burner as my heating element. I rather want to use lpg than electric. Do you think it would work

snwcmpr
10/22/2019 5:31 AM
Thanks to you all....... I was not sleeping ... I stayed awake worried about it all. :)

Users Online
Guests Online: 4

Members Online: 1
greencardigan

Total Members: 6,236
Newest Member: dale67
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
renatoa - 2.00
JitterzZ - 2.01
renatoa - 2.00
allenb - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Heat Gun Driven Fluid Bed Roaster
coffeeforblood
I tried roasting two cups (about 360 g) of green beans today, but the experiment wasn't too successful. I, of course, had to increase airflow to lift the taller column of beans, but then, it was hard to keep the temperature high enough. It seemed as though the heat guns were not able to keep up. I was able to roast 270 g of beans pretty well, but that might be about the limit of this roaster. It was pretty cold and windy today, so maybe it wasn't the best day to try it. I will have to give it another shot on a warmer and calmer day.

coffeeforblood
It's been about a year since my original post, so I thought an update is in order. I have continued to use my roaster regularly and have roasted more than 200 batches (180 grams each). In fact, I just finished about 20 batches a couple of days ago. So far, results continues to be excellent. I am using the same two heat guns that I started with and have seen no noticeable loss of heating performance. I have confirmed that 1 cup of green beans per roast is the optimal size for this set-up. I have settled on a roast time of 9-10 minutes to reach Full City + for most of what I roast with an inlet air temp of 450F - 455F. If and when I have a heat gun failure, I will let you all know.

coffeeforblood
Time once again for an update. It is now a little over two years and many hundreds of batches of coffee and I can finally report that my heat guns are beginning to fail. I had completed a roast session in early November with no issues, but I went to roast beans today and uh-oh, I could only get to about 320 F. I pulled the third heat gun out of its port and tried using it and even though it had never been used for roasting, it was barely warm. I have to think that it was damaged by having hot air forced back through it for a couple of years. Fortunately, I was able to find a couple of the Porter-Cable heat guns that I use for $20 each (new) on EBay, so I will be back in business soon. Then I can worry about repairing the failing heat guns (or recycling them if repair is not an option).

coffeeforblood
I have a little more information to share. The third heat gun was indeed dead and the heating element is not replaceable (as per Porter-Cable factory rep), so it went to the recycler. It turns out though that my two workhorse heat guns that I’ve been using since the beginning of the project are fine! They are still going strong. I am roasting even as I write this. Apparently, it was just an extra-cold day and I was being impatient. I did cap the port for the third heat gun since it is not necessary and I FINALLY built my wooden screw hold-downs for the heat guns, so they are securely in their ports now with no wiggle and less leakage. I now have three spare heat guns in the shop, so I should be in business for a long time to come.
Edited by coffeeforblood on 02/27/2019 11:50 AM

JackH
I run heat guns cold (mine has a cold/hot switch) for a while after running. I find it prolongs the life of the heating element. Lets it cool down gradually. I have some heat guns that are 20 years old that I use for melting heat shrink tubing and other electronic repair tasks.
---Jack

KKTO Roaster.

coffeeforblood
Jack - that’s exactly what I do. When I am finished roasting, I turn the heat guns down to minimum heat and let them run at full fan speed for 5-10 minutes. Then I turn them down to low fan speed for another 5-10 minutes and then finally turn them off. I allow the Shop-vac auxiliary blower to remain on for maybe another 10 minutes to cool off the system before I shut it down. You are right: thermal shock is not a recipe for prolonging the life of any gear.

Jump to Forum: