Ozo - 20.00
Josh Woodrow - 10.00

View Thread

Homeroasters.org » BUILDING A ROASTER » Fluidbed Roaster
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Heat Gun Driven Fluid Bed Roaster
coffeeforblood
I tried roasting two cups (about 360 g) of green beans today, but the experiment wasn't too successful. I, of course, had to increase airflow to lift the taller column of beans, but then, it was hard to keep the temperature high enough. It seemed as though the heat guns were not able to keep up. I was able to roast 270 g of beans pretty well, but that might be about the limit of this roaster. It was pretty cold and windy today, so maybe it wasn't the best day to try it. I will have to give it another shot on a warmer and calmer day.

coffeeforblood
It's been about a year since my original post, so I thought an update is in order. I have continued to use my roaster regularly and have roasted more than 200 batches (180 grams each). In fact, I just finished about 20 batches a couple of days ago. So far, results continues to be excellent. I am using the same two heat guns that I started with and have seen no noticeable loss of heating performance. I have confirmed that 1 cup of green beans per roast is the optimal size for this set-up. I have settled on a roast time of 9-10 minutes to reach Full City + for most of what I roast with an inlet air temp of 450F - 455F. If and when I have a heat gun failure, I will let you all know.

coffeeforblood
Time once again for an update. It is now a little over two years and many hundreds of batches of coffee and I can finally report that my heat guns are beginning to fail. I had completed a roast session in early November with no issues, but I went to roast beans today and uh-oh, I could only get to about 320 F. I pulled the third heat gun out of its port and tried using it and even though it had never been used for roasting, it was barely warm. I have to think that it was damaged by having hot air forced back through it for a couple of years. Fortunately, I was able to find a couple of the Porter-Cable heat guns that I use for $20 each (new) on EBay, so I will be back in business soon. Then I can worry about repairing the failing heat guns (or recycling them if repair is not an option).

Jump to Forum: