BotSlap Panel
bullet2.gif Last check: 10/23/2017 00:45
bullet2.gif Slap count: 0
bullet2.gif Last checked ID: 6194
View Thread
Homeroasters.org » THE ART OF ROASTING COFFEE » Roasting Coffee
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
How to use Artisan PID function with custom controller?
JamesR
Hi all, I'm trying to set up Artisan 1.0.0 to control my roast profile. I have read all the documentation I can find, but no one seems to be in my situation.

I am using a modified popper (for now...) coupled with a Yocto-thermocouple device for temperature measurement. For control, I've got a custom Arduino sketch running on an Uno, switching an SSR. My interface to the Arduino is via a basic python script I wrote, which connects via RS-232.

I can use the Power slider in Artisan to control the Arduino, but I can't seem to figure out how to set up automatic control. I feel like I'm just missing some fundamental connection somewhere in Artisan, perhaps in the PID Control dialog.

i.imgur.com/eBz2aNb.png

I've seen some posts on doing this with a TC4, but not with a custom setup.

Thanks in advance,
James

https://burntmill.wordpress.com/
MaKoMo
The new PID control is not yet well documented and still under development. Your setting looks good. As such, the PID takes the input from the BT signal, the set value (in the limits from 149 to 249C) from the background profile (you need to load one of course) and controls the "Power" slider. You need of course turn the PID "ON" by pressing the "ON" button.

BenKeith
Will it even interface with his to control it?
I know he says he is using the Arduino UNO but don't know anything about his PID device. I also don't use Artisan so I don't know squat about it, but most using the Arduino are doing it with the TC4. He may be running into a script problem that's not letting Artisan control his.

If you do hit the brick wall with it, there is also the RoastLogger. I use it because it because Artisan didn't have PID control when I started, plus RL seems to offer more flexibility in your control. Still though, not sure it will communicate with your setup.
Edited by BenKeith on 11/03/2016 05:15

MaKoMo
The Artisan PID works with everything that can be controlled via Artisan sliders. As he said he can control his maschine via a slider the Artisan PID should work for him.

JamesR
BenKeith wrote:

Will it even interface with his to control it?
I know he says he is using the Arduino UNO but don't know anything about his PID device. I also don't use Artisan so I don't know squat about it, but most using the Arduino are doing it with the TC4. He may be running into a script problem that's not letting Artisan control his.

If you do hit the brick wall with it, there is also the RoastLogger. I use it because it because Artisan didn't have PID control when I started, plus RL seems to offer more flexibility in your control. Still though, not sure it will communicate with your setup.

Yeah so my understanding is that there's a software PID in Artisan, as of v1.0.0. So as MaKoMo says, I expect my power slider to move automatically during a roast. If I move my power slider manually, my software does adjust the PWM duty cycle on the arduino as expected.

My heat can be controlled by the Power slider. So if Artisan PID works through that mechanism then I think I've got all the parts in place, I just need to configure them.

I haven't loaded a background profile, I'll give that a try.

https://burntmill.wordpress.com/
firstcrackjack
Was this ever resolved? If so what did you do to get it working?

I'm having a similar issue. I recently got my hands on a TC4 but can't for the life of me get it to control my air popper. I can read the temperature and can control heater power and fan power from Artisan using the sliders in Artisan. Unfortunately, no matter what I do I can't figure out how to get Artisan to automatically control the popper. Manual SV, ramp soak, or background follow modes aren't working.

I've tried everything I can think off. I'm sure I've just overloooking a simple setting somewhere.

Key questions
1) should I use the software PID now available in Artisan or the PID available on the TC4?
2) should I upload aArtisan or aArtisan_PID to the arduino? I tried both.
3) I purchased a zero cross detector. Should I be using it with an air popper? I modified it with separate heater and fan circuits. The heater is approximately a 1000w resistive coil. The fan is an 18v DC motor. It was previously stepped down using one of the heater coils. I'm now stepping down the voltage by using a step down transformer. I tried with and without the ZCD and commented out appropriate lines in user.h file based on if I had the ZCD or not
4) I tried several different settings in the user.h file. Do any other files need to be modified?
5) I only have one thermocouple, BT. I've tested it on Chanel 1 and 2 and made the appropriate changes in user.h and Artisan depending where I had it hooked up.
6) since I've tried a million things I even went so far as to do a clean install of the arduino sketch and Artisan on a second PC and even tried it on a Mac.

No matter what I try I can control the fan speed and heater power using the slider in Artisan. I can not however got Artisan to automatically control the fan or Hester based on a set temperature.

Hopefully I can get this resolved quickly because my stash of roasted coffee is dwindling down quickly and I don't want to rewire this popper to my old manual router control and dimmer box.

greencardigan
If you're controlling the fan from AC power stepped down by a transformer then you should be using aArtisanQ_PID with a zero-cross detector so you can do phase angle control of the AC power. aArtisanQ_PID has 4 main configurations set in user.h. You would want the CONFIG_PAC3 mode. But if you already have the heater and fan working properly with the Artisan sliders, then most likely you have the TC4 set up correctly.

If you always plan to be logging with Artisan, I would use the PID functionality built into Artisan rather than the TC4's PID. However, I'm not familiar with the more recent versions of the Artisan software. There should be some info around on how to get the PID active.

You shouldn't have to touch any files other than user.h.

Some possibly useful links:

https://artisan-r...ntrol.html

https://forum.hom...post_62782
Edited by greencardigan on 09/27/2017 16:12

greencardigan
And another link

https://www.home-...ml#p531910

MaKoMo
There is a flag named "PID Firmware" in the TC4 section of the device assignment of the latest version of Artisan. If ticked Artisan assumes the aArtisan_PID firmware and will send set values (SV) to the TC4 to let the TC4 PID do its trick. If that flag is not ticked Artisan will and the "Control" flag in the device assignment dialog is ticked, Artisan will run the PID algorithm itself. Note that running the PID loop on the TC4 should be more effective as it runs faster. Once that "Control" flag is ticked, there is a blue Control button on the main window that can be used to control the PID (internal or external). There is some information on the Artisan PID in my post: https://artisan-roasterscope.blogspot.de/2016/11/pid-control.html that Brad linked already above.

greencardigan
I noticed recently that the using the "PID Firmware" option does not interface correctly with the TC4 in some circumstances (eg using BT on channel 1 and ET on channel 2 while trying to follow the BT from a background roast).

I hope to implement a fix in the Artisan sketches sometime soon. In the meantime it should work fine with ET on channel 1 and BT on channel 2.

Jump to Forum: