Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

CharcoalRoaster
11/04/2019 1:58 AM
+1 snwcmpr

snwcmpr
11/03/2019 2:16 AM
Can we make the shoutbox UNAVAILABLE until a member has a certain number of posts?

allenb
11/01/2019 2:20 AM
Funopt, please post in the gas and electric heat sources forum

Funopt
10/30/2019 5:17 AM
Can someone help me for using forced propane burner as my heating element. I rather want to use lpg than electric. Do you think it would work

snwcmpr
10/22/2019 5:31 AM
Thanks to you all....... I was not sleeping ... I stayed awake worried about it all. :)

Users Online
Guests Online: 3

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 6,247
Newest Member: Natesforu9
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
renatoa - 2.00
JitterzZ - 2.01
renatoa - 2.00
allenb - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Direct Fire Roasting??
texh
hey all...
so i saw a online video of direct fire roasting and the end result was pretty even so i thought why not try it..
i have a netting basket in which i added around 60gm of colombian supremo and used stove top as my fire source.. agigtated the beans by shaking the basket continously.. the roast took around 6:30mins, 1Crack at 4:15mins lasted around a min and when first crack ended after 15-20secs i took it off the fire and cooled it..
overall result was kind of even i think it seems more even then wok roast.. anywho i have posted the pics here, please check it out and comment/advice..
btw the pics are 5% lighter in colour to orignal bean colour..

used this as my utensil
i.imgur.com/I5ci9Vh.jpg

Final Result:
i.imgur.com/Fn0JgY0.jpg

ChicagoJohn
looks pretty good... how's it taste?
So many beans; so little time....

texh
ChicagoJohn wrote:

looks pretty good... how's it taste?

ill taste it after 3 days.. just roasted today...

do they look even or look like made on a popcorn popper or SR500??

great to hear good comment from such an experienced member

seedlings
I bet it tastes fantastic! Sometimes we focus too much on evenness of roast. Once you get used to roasting a certain coffee, try a melange of three roasts, one very light, one medium, and one dark (by dark, I never mean black, I mean before 2nd crack is completed).

CHAD
Roaster: CoffeeAir II 2# DIY air roaster
Grinder: Vintage Grindmaster 500
Brewers: Vintage Cory DCU DCL, Aeropress, Press, Osaka Titanium pourover

texh
seedlings wrote:

I bet it tastes fantastic!

i really doubt it.. thou i havnt tasted it yet but all my roast that i have done and tried they all same almost like instant coffee... i have no idea why.. i did made a separate post regarding this issue

texh
did another experiment with roasting.. tweaked my process.. here is the result.. seems to me v.even...thou it was wayyy hardworking process.. please check the pic and comment/advice

i.imgur.com/JhPQOOw.jpg

seedlings
Advice: Drink and tell.

CHAD
Roaster: CoffeeAir II 2# DIY air roaster
Grinder: Vintage Grindmaster 500
Brewers: Vintage Cory DCU DCL, Aeropress, Press, Osaka Titanium pourover

allenb
the roast took around 6:30mins, 1Crack at 4:15mins lasted around a min and when first crack ended after 15-20secs i took it off the fire and cooled it..

all my roasts that i have done and tried they all seem almost like instant coffee... i have no idea why..

Coffees that will open up and give up the flavors they're capable of at a 6:30 finish are very rare. I remember certain Guats and Costas in the early 90's that would explode with flavor with a short 6 min roast but I haven't seen any like that for quite a while. Aim for 4 to 5 min to yellow, another 4 to 5 to 1C, then finishing a light roast 1 to 1.5 minutes later, or if going towards a Vienna, get there at 2-2.5 later. I'm sure you will notice a dramatic improvement in complexity and low notes and total elimination of the instant coffee nasties.

Allen
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

Jump to Forum: