Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

snwcmpr
10/22/2019 5:31 AM
Thanks to you all....... I was not sleeping ... I stayed awake worried about it all. :)

Koffee Kosmo
10/21/2019 5:00 PM
While you were sleeping I have been active in booting out some spammers along with the posts they tried to sneak past me

NetriX
10/21/2019 2:41 PM
Apologies, fixed it asap! BBQ grill

snwcmpr
10/21/2019 12:35 PM
WOW!! A few minutes ago the site page said "Account Suspended". And would not open the site.

snwcmpr
10/18/2019 2:37 PM
Eth Nat Yirg Idido roasted yesterday. I dropped some off at a friends coffee shop. In a few days he will brew it and tell me what he thinks. We believe my roasts are better than what we buy.

Users Online
Guests Online: 2

Members Online: 1
primarist

Total Members: 6,202
Newest Member: Brad1969
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
renatoa - 2.00
allenb - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00
Groveland Hill Roas... - 25.00
renatoa - 2.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
why all origins taste almost similar??
texh
hello...
so recently i started this new adventure of coffee roasting.. i ordered 5 origin beans Colombian/Ethopia/Nicarauga/Guatemala/Sumatra, i roasted them on stovetop separatly over the period of 2 weeks as i got time.. roasted them between post 1c to 2c depending on roast.. time between 2 cracks was 3-4mins approx, roast did came out somewhat even and i have tasted the coffee after 2-7 days of degassing...
for me only guatemela tasted exactly like french vanilla of tim hortons... maye abit better but same taste profile..
remaining all taste almost same especially colombian and nicaragua tasted almost like nescafe instant coffee...
sumatra had abit more bolder taste and i can say its abit different but none of them tasted like what is advertised on bean origin...
please tell me what could be the problem.. i know my palates arnt that great thats why i couldnt taste complex flavours but after spending money and time and doing everything from scartch and still taste like an instant coffee is an insult to my eyes..
brewing method is french press and moka but mostly MokaPot...
for storage i dont have that fancy one way valve bags.. i store them in a ziploc after removing all the air in a dark kitchen cupboard which only has coffee items..

kindly help me understand where the problem lies.. o BTW... i dont drink black coffee rightaway.. i add milk to make cafe latte..

pelase help me out

thanks!

turtle
You should be tasting a difference between origins.

Some should nave a very marked difference especially between Africa, America, and Pacific Rim regions.

I've never stove top roasted. Started with a drum roaster and have stayed there.

I've never gotten any "flavors" other than coffee. No tuna melt, soda-pop, chocolate, etc.... just coffee but all are different tasting coffee to me.
Mick - "Drinking in life one cup at a time"
"I'd rather be roasting coffee"

Roaster 1: San Franciscan SF-1
Roaster 2: Hottop B-2K+
Roaster 3: Behmor 1600 +
Grinders: Modified Super Jolly - Forte BG (x3)
Pour over: Hario - Bee House - Chemex - Kalita - Bodum
Drip: Bunn CWTF15-1 & CW15-TC (commercials)
Espresso: Pasquini Livia 90 auto
Vacuum: Cona - Bodum
Press: Frieling - Bodum Colombia

ginny
for me only guatemela tasted exactly like french vanilla of tim hortons... maye abit better but same taste profile..

my guess is your taste buds are off as I cannot see how the two above could possibly
taste alike.

your food intake is? do you take any medication that could impair your taste?

there are many reasons and most point to your physical condition or your method of roasting and if you are very new you simply need more experience.

ginny

coffee drink

texh
turtle wrote:

You should be tasting a difference between origins.

i do taste difference abit..
completly diff taste n smell was of ethopia but i dint mention i couldnt say what exactly it taset like but i think somewhat fruity taste even raw bean taste diff
besides ethopia remaining 4 beans does taste abit diff to each other but not much diff.. and nicoragua and colombian taste n smell almost same..
sumatra had somewhat similar taste but is bolder...

when i started roasting and read the flavour notes i was excited as i will taste nutty etc flavours and it would be quite obvious to me but they arnt...

@ginny i dont have any health condition nor do i take any meds...

JackH
You may be "baking" the beans. Extended time roasting (longer time and lower heat) before 1C can bake out the flavors and make the beans taste flat.

I am not sure of the duration of your roast. That is what usually causes flat tasting coffee.
---Jack

KKTO Roaster.

walt_in_hawaii
Texh, I think I remember your post about your roasts that you were doing... I think on a wok? and I had told you better if you used something heavier, like a pan. From the pictures I recall seeing, you are taking the beans very very very VERY dark in lots of cases. The darker you take them, the LESS of the single origin flavors you will find (for most of them). I like lightly roasted beans, so that is not a problem for me. But there are beans that taste better darker; I've noticed the guatemalan beans I've ordered lately all like going past 2nd crack. They taste good after 1st crack, but only 'ok' good, not 'great'. When taken darker, they get more chocolaty and richer (which doesn't happen with my ethiopians). So there isn't one 'best' temperature... but if you roast all your beans until they look like charcoal, then you are not likely to taste any difference between them, you'll just get expensive charcoal. Try roasting a small sample to 1st crack or just a little after, then another small batch to 2nd crack and taste the difference (same beans taken to different final temperature) and take notes about what you taste. You can then decide for that bean what is your best temp.

texh
walt_in_hawaii wrote:

Texh, I think I remember your post about your roasts that you were doing... I think on a wok? and I had told you better if you used something heavier, like a pan. From the pictures I recall seeing, you are taking the beans very very very VERY dark in lots of cases. The darker you take them, the LESS of the single origin flavors you will find (for most of them).

yes i do roast on wok and a couple of really small batches on oven..
but as for burning the roast that was my first roast which i threw away after tasting it 1-2 times.. you can check my post of first 5 roast and u will see all are between 1C or just few seconds after begining of 2C

http://forum.homeroasters.org/forum/viewthread.php?thread_id=5099

like you said guatemala for me did taste different...but none others did..
just today i make a moka of a blend with ethopia sidamo and guatemala 50:50 and it was also tasting the same..

P.S.. i dont know if i stated this earlier but atm im using a blender for grinding as my conical grinder is stuck in shipping

seedlings
Hey there Tex! I didn't read how long it takes to get to 1st crack.

Second, it's not unusual for many coffees to taste similar. Pepsi tastes similar to Coke, which tastes similar to RC cola. It takes a while to train our senses to pick out the differences. Pepsi might have a cola flavor, but with more sweetness and citrus. Coke tastes like cola, but with a vanilla note and more body. RC tastes milder and more neutral.

Additionally, as has been alluded to, the actual roasting technique can add it's own flavor. A Roast flavor. For example Starbucks standard has a similar situation to what you are describing. Every different kind tastes just about the same because the Roast is determining the flavor much more than the bean. (incidentally, this is a good way to hide the off flavors of very cheap beans)

So, in summary, develop your flavor tasting abilities. How does raw Broccoli taste different than cooked broccoli? Different than Snap Peas? How does one barbecue sauce taste different than another? Try putting those differences into words to describe. Once you get a little more used to describing flavors, they will be easier to pick out!

This is also why Sweet Marias has a huge, long, and exotic description of flavors for their coffees. The cupper is very tuned to describing what he tastes.

CHAD
Roaster: CoffeeAir II 2# DIY air roaster
Grinder: Vintage Grindmaster 500
Brewers: Vintage Cory DCU DCL, Aeropress, Press, Osaka Titanium pourover

walt_in_hawaii
texh, look at your beans closely. From the pic I remember, there is a large variation in the temps. For myself, I like the beans to be as uniform as possible... same temp throughout the bean, inside/middle/outside and all the beans in the entire batch near the same temp. This isn't possible, of course, but erratic heat and erratic stirring will cause problems.

From what I remember of your pics of your beans, they were uneven... look at the centerline of the beans... this split does not stay constant. it is tight to start with, and as they roast this split opens up; the beans get physically larger and they plump up just before first crack. The crack down the middle gradually draws apart and smaller cracks may appear. the outer skin is rough to start, then smooths in texture as they enlarge but you have to look closely. Learn to watch these changes.... and in what order they come; but most of all, watch that most of your beans should be going through the same changes at roughly the same time, that means as a batch your temperature is homogeneous and you are doing a good job. But when you see a bean with a wide crack and a tight bean next to it and your whole batch is mixed up and giving different signals,

You probably have a problem as they are not all uniformly reaching the same temp at the same time. So, some of your beans are burning and some are not hot enough; that may be why the taste is off. you must learn to get them ALL near the same temp at the same time. Once you can do that, THEN worry if the temp is the correct temp. It sounds complex, but its not, really. All it takes is a stick to stir. maybe an extension cord or two. where are you?

If you are having a really hard time, I have a spare Popcorn Pumper which I bought by mistake; you can have it (if you are reasonably close to Hawaii), and you can retire the wok.
Edited by JackH on 09/26/2016 1:22 PM

walt_in_hawaii
Thanks for the edits, JackH. I'm not a real observer of paragraphs and capital letters at times :) ...and other grammatical niceties.

walt_in_hawaii
Sorry, meant to say 'syntactical niceties' :)

JackH
Paragraph breaks make it easier to read at least for me. I usually read every new post.

Thanks for responding to these posts and offering to help Walt!
---Jack

KKTO Roaster.

snwcmpr
+1
Very difficult to read a post without the proper paragraph and other 'niceties'. So, please.

otherwiseitisnotmuchdifferentthanthis.
Yes, readable, but it takes way too much effort.

Ken in NC
--------------
Backwoods Roaster
"I wish I could taste as well as I wish I could roast."

As Abraham Lincoln said "Do not trust everything you read on the internet".

ginny
Ken,

please, not necessary to add I do believe Jack fixed the post and I think he may understand now without another slap on the wrist.

the only post you made in this thread was for this?

ginny

roar

BenKeith
What you have to remember also, it's not just the roast that affects what they taste like in the cup. Your extraction process changes the flavor much more than the roast. If you are grinding wrong and over/under extracting, the can make them all taste about the same, and that can be fairly bad.

It wasn't until I really understood how to make a cup of coffee that I learned how to roast it. For the first few years, I just thought I was roasting my beans right. Once I really understood the brewing, and got it right, I had to learn how to roast all over again. It was kinda imbarrasing thinking back to what I used to serve for coffee then.

Jump to Forum: