Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

snwcmpr
09/18/2019 4:09 AM
JavaBob ... You will get more response if you post a question on the forum rather than the shoutbox.

Mathew
09/17/2019 5:50 AM
check out the Hive Roaster!

JavaBob
09/16/2019 4:03 PM
Has anyone used a Leister hot air blower to roast coffee and if so, which model did you use? What was your experience like?

JavaBob
09/16/2019 3:53 PM
Source for customable borosilicate glass cylinders for use as a roasting chamber?

shoron
09/06/2019 7:25 AM
how to make medium raw colored beans to dark ?

Users Online
Guests Online: 2

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 6,139
Newest Member: MonkeyNMiddle
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
renatoa - 2.00
allenb - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00
Groveland Hill Roas... - 25.00
renatoa - 2.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Best possible blend options?
texh
hello
so i have ordered 5 origin coffee 1 pound each and what to know what will be the best blend i can get from these.. kindly state all best posible combos aloong with %age of each origin

-Colombian Supremo
-Ethipia Sidamo
-Guatemala SHB EP
-Sumatra Mandheling
-Nicaragua SHG EP Jinotega

thanks!

Jan
Again, this will help, it includes %'s

http://legacy.sweetmarias.com/blending.php

Regards,
Jan

texh
Thanks Jan..
but i have already read that page..
reason why i posted this question was because i wanted to know my blend options with the origins of coffee i have...

i dont have brazil or multiple kind of sumatras etc.. so what ever can be made best with my 5 options i need to know that..

thanks!

ginny
I suggest you experiment with them...

ginny

Jan
You can try swapping one South American for another, swap the Colombian for the Brazilian... try swapping the Sumatran you have for the one they call for. It's the only starting point options you have unless you buy more green coffees. Try roasting each of the five coffees separately, then blend small amounts of them post-roast to experiment with different percentage blend flavors in the cup.

Get the book " Home Coffee Roasting" by Kenneth Davids. It will help you understand the similar flavor profiles of each area, and the differences of each type of coffee and it's place in a coffee blend's final flavor and body profile.

Regards,
Jan

JSA Coffee
If it were me, I would try the Colombian with the Guatemalan, then the Colombian with the nicaraguan. After those two, I would try 25% nic, 25% Guatemalan, and 50 % Colombian.

ChicagoJohn
I would first try them individually however you normally roast and brew. Then if you were to find substantial differences among them; say one is bright - fruity - tangy and another is much sweeter and and complex, depending upon what you like and prefer, you could try various blends, maybe 2-to-1 of the second to the first, for example. I've experimented as Ginny suggested and found I like the broader flavor I get by blending a yirgacheffe and a certain uganda product, both roasted the same to just after first crack. Have fun trying several single origin coffees and experimenting with blends. If your experience is anything like mine, you'll find some significant differences and in the process get a better feeling for what you prefer and what you don't like :)
So many beans; so little time....

ginny
a question:

where did you get your coffee and did they not have cupping notes for you?

most serious suppliers have at minimum some information on the coffee you buy, if not don't buy it.

ginny

seedlings
texh wrote:

hello
so i have ordered 5 origin coffee 1 pound each and what to know what will be the best blend i can get from these.. kindly state all best posible combos aloong with %age of each origin

-Colombian Supremo
-Ethipia Sidamo
-Guatemala SHB EP
-Sumatra Mandheling
-Nicaragua SHG EP Jinotega

thanks!

Roast every one of those, individually, to the best of your ability. Let them all rest for 3 days or longer. Get a dozen cups, some hot water, A SCALE, and a grinder.

Mix and match, take notes of how many grams of which coffees, grind and brew. Have fun with it!

I have yet to make a blend that taxes better than either coffee does individually.

CHAD
Roaster: CoffeeAir II 2# DIY air roaster
Grinder: Vintage Grindmaster 500
Brewers: Vintage Cory DCU DCL, Aeropress, Press, Osaka Titanium pourover

texh
ginny wrote:

a question:

where did you get your coffee and did they not have cupping notes for you?

most serious suppliers have at minimum some information on the coffee you buy, if not don't buy it.

ginny

my supplier did provide me with cupping notes.. but like i said its my first time in roasting world.. so predicting what blends can be made from these is not something im able do atm..

the origins i chose were completly based on cupping notes for single origin coffee... i dont know what blend will make better coffee as i heard blends taste much better than single origin.

ginny
If this is your first attempt at roasting I would clearly roast the single origins and simply forget about blending until you knew what you are doing.

Blending can come later after to get a feel for the beans...

-g

Randy G
It seems an obvious question, but how are you going to brew?

Life's too short to drink bad coffee.

http://www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
JSA Coffee
There are many variables to blending. Before you can know how they go together, you have to learn how the single origins act alone.

texh
Randy G wrote:

It seems an obvious question, but how are you going to brew?

french press and moka pot
any of them depending on mood

Want to Help?
By donating you can ensure that HR will continue to be open for years to come. Expenses are 100% transparent and can be viewed publicly at all times. You can find more information on donations and why we request them by reading up on the forum topic here. Thank you.

ChicagoJohn

french press and moka pot

Brewing is obviously a very important determinant, deserving of its own exploration within any given roasting protocol and green bean selection. For what it's worth, like you, I tried a french press and other brewing methods and then decided to try the Aerobie Aeropress in conjunction with a hand bur grinder because that system enables control over several critical brewing parameters while using as little as 15 grams of roasted beans per trial. It's also relatively inexpensive and highly portable.

Along with a method of roasting small quantities with repeatable control of profile, I found I was able to drink my way through many experiments sooner, and I'd highly recommend an approach like this to anyone new to this wanting to learn through trying different things.

coffeemich
Just experiment with it. It's hard to say what exactly your favorite blend option would be, so you're better off trying yourself.

turtle
When I want a blend I start by roasting at least 4 origins.

THEN.... I will pull out my scale and add coffees until I get to the weight of my 4 cup Chemex (32 grms)

I will start with 50/50 using 2 origins.

Brew and evaluate the entire pot

Then I may add another origin to that mix 33/33/33 %

Brew and evaluate.

Once I have a good mix (never more than 3 origins), I start raising and lowering ratios

When I hit "on it" I will then roast that blend in the ratio I enjoyed the most and evaluate.

This works for me but you need to figure out your routine.

Mick - "Drinking in life one cup at a time"
"I'd rather be roasting coffee"

Roaster 1: San Franciscan SF-1
Roaster 2: Hottop B-2K+
Roaster 3: Behmor 1600 +
Grinders: Modified Super Jolly - Forte BG (x3)
Pour over: Hario - Bee House - Chemex - Kalita - Bodum
Drip: Bunn CWTF15-1 & CW15-TC (commercials)
Espresso: Pasquini Livia 90 auto
Vacuum: Cona - Bodum
Press: Frieling - Bodum Colombia

snwcmpr
Disqualifier: I do not blend.

Would it not be different to blend roasted coffee than to blend green and roast?

Ken in NC
--------------
Backwoods Roaster
"I wish I could taste as well as I wish I could roast."

As Abraham Lincoln said "Do not trust everything you read on the internet".

ginny
brew and evaluate.

Once I have a good mix (never more than 3 origins), I start raising and lowering ratios

you need a lot of extra coffee to do this with and my guess is many only have a small amount to blend.

I simply take what's left maybe a third of a cup here and a quarter there and see what's up most times depending on the roast I have a winner that cannot be repeated as the beans are gone and no longer available...

ginny

ChicagoJohn
I have a winner that cannot be repeated as the beans are gone and no longer available...

ginny

A very appealing method for that reason. By analogy, it is said that one cannot step in the same river twice: the water is constantly changing, and so is the wader.

Jump to Forum: